[0.10.12 win10] Game unplayable / constantly crashing with 'unable to convert string "=-*$'<8)1/+"' - 100% crash on macro page 2 and other places showing macro steps, and frequent crash in battles

(crossposting from steam forums) I had a crash while battling Caliban for the first time, and since then I’ve been crashing all the time unfortunately.

It’s crashing every time I try to open macro page #2. I only had macros on page 1 and 2, and all of my creatures were assigned to macros on page 2. Now whenever I try to open that page anywhere - from any option in the Macros menu or from Assign Macro in creature’s menus - it crashes immediately.

i’m also getting a very similar crash randomly in some battles, which is incredibly annoying when I’m about to clear a realm…

none of my macros had weird names - they were all a few letters with some slash characters / in between.

the crash i get when I try to open macro page 2:

############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_macroassign:

unable to convert string “=-*$’<8)1/+” to number############################################################################################
gml_Script_scr_MacroGetSteps (line 7)
gml_Script_scr_MacroGetEnglishLine (line 5)
gml_Object_obj_macroassign_Draw_64 (line 56)

the crash I get randomly during battles;

############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_battlecontroller:

unable to convert string “=-*$’<8)1/+” to number############################################################################################
gml_Script_scr_MacroProcess (line 39)
gml_Script_bc_Turn (line 18)
gml_Object_obj_battlecontroller_Step_0 (line 664)

Experimenting for possible fixes and got a slightly different error (still crashed):

I first unset macros on everyone in my party. Then I went to menagerie and pulled out an old Terror Wight I used to use (who had a macro). When I went to his “Assign Macro” option it immediately crashed without rendering the macro lines on the right.

Edit: Tried again after crash, this time without first unassigning my current party. Just swapped in Terror Wight (who iirc was using a macro on page 2) and it instantly crashed. Btw when I open Macros page 2 it’s still the old error

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_menu:

unable to convert string "
ÐÊÜÏÍ0 " to number############################################################################################
gml_Object_obj_menu_Draw_64 (line 2563)

Thanks to the cursor staying in the row you’re on when you swap pages, I was able to get back to page 2 with my cursor on an empty slot at the bottom.

Here’s what it looks like

I got to “mheal/seren/true” without problem, but the moment I tried to go up to “mmheal/atkres” it crashed. It also crashes when I go to disp/mm/revpol (by pressing S when I’m at the bottom)

I would just clear the whole page or even all my macros but there’s no way to as far as I know :’(

Did you attempt to import a macro you edited or have you used the macro editor exclusively to create your own macros?

Please upload your save file to the cloud and PM me your cloud ID and I’ll delete your macros for you.

Yes, I did export a macro and make some edits in a text editor and import back, although it was very early on. Just PMed you my cloud ID, thank you so much!