0.7.1: Steam LInux won't launch with STEAM_RUNTIME enabled (default)

Linux OS: Arch Linux

It crashes with the following error in the cli. Missing curl4 library.
./SiralimUltimate: /home/alex/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_64/libcurl.so.4: version `CURL_OPENSSL_4’ not found (required by ./SiralimUltimate)

Unsure if this happens with other distros of linux.

Workaround: Disabling STEAM_RUNTIME and using native system libraries made the game able to launch.

Linux OS: Ubuntu

Not really sure what STEAM_RUNTIME is, but I disabled Steam Play, thinking that’s the same thing, and it didn’t work. Steam won’t even open the game, much less get as far as crashing.

However, navigating to the local files and starting the executable manually totally works no problem for me.

Found another way to get it working, though not sure it’s a good idea since my understanding of linux is pretty much just copy-paste from smart people on the internet:

Apparently, the version of libcurl.so.4 that’s included with Steam is too old, so you have to tell it to use the system library instead. I did this by renaming the file and linking to the right one.

cd ~/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/pinned_libs_64/
mv libcurl.so.4 libcurl.so.4.bak
ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4 libcurl.so.4

Then I restarted steam and it works!

edit: apparently, this has to be done every time the steam client gets an update. I’ll be putting those lines in a “fix_siralim.sh” script. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that’s what setting STEAM_RUNTIME=0 does.
It uses the native system libraries instead of the bundled ones that steam has.

Here’s the steam-native script that Arch Linux uses.

#!/bin/bash
export STEAM_RUNTIME=0
export STEAM_RUNTIME_HEAVY=0
# Workaround for dbus fatal termination related coredumps (SIGABRT)
# https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/4464
export DBUS_FATAL_WARNINGS=0
# Override some libraries as these are what games linked against.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/steam:/usr/lib32/steam${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
exec /usr/lib/steam/steam "$@"

I just pushed a small, Linux-exclusive update (it doesn’t update the game itself but should solve the library issues) that should improve compatibility.