2 questions: MFi controllers, non-Steam version

I’ve been enjoying Siralim 2 on my iPhone, and have two specific questions:

1. Any plans for MFi controller support? Would be pretty great to set the iPad up on a stand like usual, and just kick back with the controller.

2. Will there be a non-Steam version of the game available for Windows? I won’t install the Steam DRM client on my PC, but if Siralim 2 shows up on, say, GoG, with a nice clean .exe installer, I’d be all over that.

1. I’d love to, but our engine’s support for these gamepads is very hit-or-miss right now. We use a third party engine (GameMaker) so that’s not something I can fix myself. I’d like to think they’re actively working on it though!

2. Probably just Steam. We tried to launch on GOG but the game was rejected due to “low production value”. Small clarification for others reading this: we don’t use DRM - Steam isn’t DRM.

Ah, okay. Didn’t realize that was the engine involved. Surprising that they don’t have it fully supported!

2) Probably just Steam. We tried to launch on GOG but the game was rejected due to "low production value". Small clarification for others reading this: we don't use DRM - Steam isn't DRM.

Hmm, could you clarify a bit? Is it possible to buy the game from Steam, download it, install it, and play it, without ever installing the Steam client, and without ever needing any kind of internet connection to “activate” the game?

The game can be played without a Steam Client by extracting the game .exe into a folder and removing steam_api.dll. All that is then needed is to click on Siralim2.exe in the folder that the files were extracted to and the game will launch without the Steam client.

game exe located at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Siralim 2\Siralim2.exe

[quote=“bluequakeralex, post:4, topic:2723”]The game can be played without a Steam Client by extracting the game .exe into a folder and removing steam_api.dll. All that is then needed is to click on Siralim2.exe in the folder that the files were extracted to and the game will launch without the Steam client.

game exe located at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Siralim 2\Siralim2.exe[/quote]

Good to know, thanks. I’ll keep that in mind for future buying decisions.

To my knowledge, it isn’t possible to buy Siralim 2 for Windows without downloading Steam.

However, once you have gotten the Siralim 2 exe file, you have a DRM-free version of the game. You can uninstall Steam and play Siralim 2 as much as you want. I believe you can even move the game files to another machine and play it there.

Steam supports developers who want to bake DRM into their games, but Steam doesn’t require that developers use DRM. That is purely a decision for the developer. If you want to make a game that requires an Internet connection every time you play, Steam will help you do that … But if isn’t you want to distribute your game without DRM, Steam is cool with that as well.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that games call the Steam API for things like achievements, trading cards, and things like that. For that reason, the exe opens up Steam by default. As Noetherian said, Steam’s DRM is entirely optional (and so easy to crack that it’s not worth using at all) and most developers don’t bother with it as far as I know.

As bluequakeralex said, you can simply extract the exe to strip the Steam DLL from it. You’ll just have to do this each time the game is updated.

Cool, maybe I’ll set up a VM for running the Steam client and downloading stuff at some point. I don’t mind a bit of manual pulling-things-apart.

That’s just about the saddest excuse I’ve ever seen. I do believe they missed the point.

[quote=“Wulfe, post:9, topic:2723”]

That’s just about the saddest excuse I’ve ever seen. I do believe they missed the point.[/quote]

Yeah, no kidding. Obviously those old Apogee EGA DOS games they sell are such high-budget productions.