Add a gender-neutral title for the player

This doesn’t apply to me, personally, but I’ve been thinking about this for a while. Including a gender-neutral title for the player character seems like something that would easy to add and could make a big difference to potential players who don’t identify as male or female. I’m unfamiliar with gender-neutral royal titles, however, the best I can think of is “monarch”. If someone has a better suggestion for this, feel free to post one.

On a similar note, I’ve always found the initial conversation with Vertraag when you start the game where he is confused whether you are a king or queen rather awkwardly worded - maybe he should just ask you what your gender is rather than fumbling and calling you a “king” initially.

I’m not sure how difficult adding another title is, but it seemed like something pretty simple to do, and it might make a big difference to someone in a world where most games don’t have this option. :slight_smile:

What’s next? You’ll complain that every character in the game is white? :-X

I wasn’t trying to complain, I was just making a friendly suggestion. (And I don’t appreciate the uncalled for mocking of people who ask for racial inclusiveness in games, either.)

I’m not going to get into a long, drawn-out argument about this in the topic, but please, if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it at all. All complaining about me making a suggestion (and again, this wasn’t an attack, I’m not calling the game offensive or trying to boycott it) does is make a fool of yourself.

+1’d. Maybe we could also put some safe spaces in the realms where you aren’t harassed by monsters.

Gee people, get a grip, noone is complaining. If it helps sales why not.

Add the title Ruler, there you go, gender neutral. How would that detriment for anyone. The graphics are already gender neutral for the ruler/king/queen. And you get plenty more options later.

Should be a no-brainer really, but some people have to be anti-stuff anyway.

How does it help sales?

At the start you are given the option to choose your gender, later in the game you are given the option to change your gender, later you also have the option to change your sprite’s appearance without having to change your gender. You have a lot of freedoms of how you wan to present your character regardless of how you want your character to be addressed, which could possibly be more empowering than just being considered gender neutral.

He can put into the blurb on some sites that it includes a gender-neutral option?
But really yes, thats my point. There is already so much freedom, add in the option of ruler to king and queen and you have full set of whatevers.

But i don’t personally care, just don’t see the point of protesting it at all. It won’t hurt anyone afaik, why would anyone be AGAINST it all.
Now if it overly complicated, sure, don’t do it. But i doubt it is, i am guessing its very simple, but thats for Zack to know / decide.

Okay, wow. A lot of you need to like, not be so rude.

I’m with jamosup on this. Seems like a great, all including idea, and even if it’s a minor thing, it’s a simple thing that would make someone happy.

It’s not even hurting anyone. The heck is wrong with you, guys?

Okay. Regardless of my views/facts on the matter, my comment was uncalled for and I apologize.

As someone who doesn’t identify as a boy or a girl, I fully support this idea. The fact that you can switch names and gender is awesome, but the prospect of being able to choose to be neither and still respected as a ruler and mage would mean a lot to me and many other people.

This isn’t an argument for safe spaces or racial inclusivity–which are both important and necessary, but both not applicable in this situation. This is just a simple damn matter of going “Wow, not everyone is comfortable with being called a king or queen, we should respect that and give them an option.”

And if it really upsets you that damn much? Don’t use the option. Ignore it. LGBT folk LIKE MYSELF aren’t forcing you to use it, we don’t have a gun to your head, the sprites are already ambiguous enough that you can’t really tell if they’re male/female, just throw in the inclusive option and call it good.

Honestly. It’s 2016 and this is still an issue to argue over. Get over yourselves for Christ’s sake and realize that wow, maybe the world DOESN’T revolve around you.

Please tell me you at least see the irony in this statement: you’re asking to change the game just so that you feel comfortable. I’m totally indifferent though; I don’t care either way whether this feature is added.

Just curious, as I genuinely have no idea: how do I handle pronouns? He, she, her, his, etc. I have seen a lot of different preferences for pronouns and I don’t want to offend anyone.

This isn’t a promise that it’ll be added immediately of course, as obviously I need to prioritize what will benefit the most players for now, but it’s something that can be added to the to-do list for later.

[quote=“Zack, post:13, topic:2144”]Just curious, as I genuinely have no idea: how do I handle pronouns? He, she, her, his, etc.

This isn’t a promise that it’ll be added immediately of course, as obviously I need to prioritize what will benefit the most players for now, but it’s something that can be added to the to-do list for later.[/quote]

The pronouns would be they, them, their.

“This is their book.”
“They walked into the room.”
“How do you like them?”

The usage of royal we is also alright too, like “how are we doing today?”

At least this is what I think is correct. I work a radio show where guests contact me and I have no idea what their gender is until they call in, and I will call them neutral terms until I find out the correct ones.

[quote=“nobogui, post:12, topic:2144”]

Please tell me you at least see the irony in this statement: you’re asking to change the game just so that you feel comfortable. I’m totally indifferent though; I don’t care either way whether this feature is added.[/quote]

Think of it this way: the world is majority nonbinary when it comes to gender. There’s maybe 2, 3% of the world that identifies as a man or a woman. Everyone else shouts them down about how they should get over wanting to see themselves represented so that they can feel comfortable or relevant. You’re alienated and never see yourself in media, be it TV or books and when you do you’re either killed off for drama or you’re a horribly inaccurate and offensive stereotype. Men are portrayed as only burly he-man brutes who are stupid and only care about cars and boobs, women are vapid and brainless and only care about looking pretty.
There are maybe a dozen video games you can think of–most made BY a man or woman–that include someone like you as a character without falling into that trap. You can count on one hand games that include you as a player choice, and all of them are made by men or women. They are consistently shit on and thrown under the bus by nonbinary people, who hate the idea. “It’s too much effort to include those options. It’s so much simpler to just have no gender to worry about. Stop complaining, the world doesn’t revolve around you.”

The irony of my statement isn’t actually irony. I’m not barging into the room and holding Zack at gunpoint demanding he do this or else. Jamosup and myself are pointing out that there’s more than just man and woman, and how it’d be cool to throw a bone to a dog that’s already been kicked and starved by everyone else, with far less effort than most games would need (no sprite changes, just switch pronouns and dialogues a bit and replace certain words).

Also, Toxon is absolutely correct when it comes to how to handle the pronouns, Zack–I briefly mentioned in the shoutbox that there could also be “Your grace/majesty/highness/etc”.

My gay cousin is playing this game. I just asked him and he said he couldn’t care less.
Still I can’t see how this can go wrong unless it was done very badly.

Just to be clear, sexual orientation and gender identity aren’t the same thing, so they may not care because “he/king” works fine - so it’s not really their problem. (No offense to them, of course. And I’ll be clear I’m male myself - I made this suggestion since it seemed simple as the sprites are simple and it could potentially make some players happy. :slight_smile: )
Thank you for not being hostile towards the idea, though. :stuck_out_tongue:
And thank you for the support, Zack; it’s no rush to implement, but it’s good to hear you’re interested in putting it in.

How about letting the player type in the title they want just like for their name.

+1 I like this idea!I would love to give myself title.

[quote=“Zack, post:13, topic:2144”]Just curious, as I genuinely have no idea: how do I handle pronouns? He, she, her, his, etc. I have seen a lot of different preferences for pronouns and I don’t want to offend anyone.

This isn’t a promise that it’ll be added immediately of course, as obviously I need to prioritize what will benefit the most players for now, but it’s something that can be added to the to-do list for later.[/quote]

There is already a gender neutral pronoun in english. They.
They can represent a singular gender-neutral person. This has been the case since for about 350 years or so.