Anomaly + AOE = 1 shot wins still

With Anomy and AOE spells, Siralim can still be a 1 shot aoe fest. We even get enough XP from battle that the need to breed is near constant when fighting higher level enemies.

It is difficult to do math here, but the game does not seem to be reducing damage by 80% in some cases. Certain effects circumvent the calculations or something.

Djinn Pyromancer + Anomaly was the simplest team I put together early on to insta clear enemies. Furthermore, 20% damage 6 times would still be net increase for AOE damage.

I mention this only because Zack’s blog posts indicate he doesn’t want the game to be a 1 shot AOE fest this time around. Turned out the be the most readily available strategy when playing through the story.

v0.0.18
Windows 10

well with so many creatures and so many traits and possible combinations it would take weeks if not months to clear out all the 1-2-3 shot aoe, instakill team, (almost) infinite team combinations. you can stumble on them almost by accident. again i like the game for tons of opportunities it gives. doesnt mean some wont need to be adjusted but i think devs will just concentrate on bugs mostly for now. once its closer to full release from EA we can do a ton of suggestions/balance stuff if devs will be up for it. also i dont think devs can work 24/7 on this game for too long and lol now it seems they do it :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the dev has made it clear numerous times that this sort of balancing isn’t really a concern. Finding the combinations is rewarding. It’s half the game. You’ve found one, congratulations.Now, move on to a new one. Don’t ruin the fun for everyone else.

EDIT: I just thought about how poor the tone of this reply is and I apologize. The sentiment still remains however, minus the tone :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“dogamusprime, post:3, topic:3994”]I think the dev has made it clear numerous times that this sort of balancing isn’t really a concern. Finding the combinations is rewarding. It’s half the game. You’ve found one, congratulations.Now, move on to a new one. Don’t ruin the fun for everyone else.

EDIT: I just thought about how poor the tone of this reply is and I apologize. The sentiment still remains however, minus the tone :P[/quote]

Guys, I appreciate the sentiment but you’re missing the point of the post. OP NERF this is not. Everything is OP.

Zack has explicitly detailed his design intent on his blog, part of which was avoiding S3 being an AOE one-shot steamroll. No auto-cast spell gem properties, massively decreased aoe spell damage and increasing single target spell damage in S3 when compared to S2 were the most visible measures taken.

Anomaly is probably the most well-known AOE steamroller since Siralim 2 and is an easy to access single trait. Nothing to congratulate here, and certainly a change would not “ruin it” for everyone else!

As worded, I think the Anomaly trait may actually be ok. However, the implementation seems to circumvent a bunch of other mechanics and deal more damage than intended.

sigh I guess I should have given more attention to the dev blogs. Well, I gotta say, I’ve been playing all day and I’m really liking the higher difficulty. So I actually welcome the adjustments for a change. I guess they’re not really ‘nerfs’ if they don’t fit within the scope of the dev’s vision.

Anomaly, the Ceaseless Maker’s trait, does provide a pretty decent boost to damage output compared to the previous version, BUT it’s not extremely OP, especially compared to other traits.

For instance, lets say you use an AoE that deals 100 damage to all targets normally, for 600 damage total.

With Anomaly, each target takes 20 damage, and then deals 20 damage to all other targets. With a full 6 targets, that is essentially 120 damage per target, or 720 damage all together. Anomaly is essentially a 20% damage increase as LONG as the opposing team has at least 6 targets (Of course, thats almost a 100% given fact in Siralem, but on, say, high lvl mimics, I have to transform/kill my Ceaseless Maker, or I lose the fight).
Do note that it works in a similar way for pure single target effects - If I were to deal 600 single target damage to one enemy, Anomaly instead divides that among the team, and increases the total damage done by 20%.

It IS extremely strong when you are fighting enemies below your teams power level, but when you are fighting enemies double your level or more, doesn’t really shine as a strong trait (I use it when farming favor on lower level realms where I CAN one-shot the entire enemy team with a single spell or attack with this trait, but swap it out when I need to make sure that critical targets die asap)

So, yea. By itself, Anomaly is NOT too strong. I had a bit of success using a 5x devil team each equipped with their corresponding lance which had the same-type damage boosting on it along with Anomaly (Essentially one-shotting enemy teams with a significant level difference since the devils dealt almost 500% more damage to their specific type. Combine that with a high speed, high attack setup, Berserk, Multistrike, and Critical on all Devils, corresponding runes, and it was steam-roll easy providing that they didn’t get disabled or miss, even being outlvld by nearly triple).

So yea. Anomaly, by itself, isn’t too strong. It only adds +20% more damage to AoE in terms of numbers. It’s main strength is that it allows you to target the squishiest enemy team members to kill either enemies you DONT want to hit due to traits, or enemies with high defense stats. Sure, there are OP combos with it, but there are OP combos with everything.

Anomaly is crazy strong. In fact it makes almost any team infinite one at the moment. What it does in conjunction with spell that hits a few times by itself powered by multicast and +1 cast on multicast and limitless trait. Much like 95% wipe.
simple test - even taking a ceasless maker to the arena makes fights way faster. usually 2-3 rounds.
I think if keep anomaly 1st thing that should be attempted is making it 90% reduce and seeing what happends. 80% is a so clear damage boost in 99% situations that it just hardly can be ignored.

90% basically makes it take the exact same role as in Siralim 2 - Something you ONLY use at lower levels so you just push 1 button to win, and completely useless in any other comp.

Again, note that in terms of pure numbers, and not “TEH FEELZ!”, Anomaly only provides with a 20% damage boost to everything. While there are comps in which you can abuse that, it isn’t extremely strong by itself (See my earlier post about abusing creature types for maximizing damage on squishy targets to kill harder targets). If you are one-shotting fights without specifically abusing Anomaly with other mechanics (As mentioned with AoE spells and extra target spells), then it’s not that Anomaly itself is strong, its that you are fighting significantly weaker teams.

Also, if it DOES need a nerf, then somewhere between 83-84% damage reduction would cause Anomaly to provide no damage boost, just damage distribution. 90% just makes it niche. 80% makes it a strong, but not extremely OP trait by itself.

Well, the game still is in early access, so if Zack still wants S3 to be more than the one-shot fest the series has been until now (which is all I’ve ever wanted), perhaps it’s not too late - I’m personally not smart enough to begin to suggest how to effectively fix this :frowning:

Its worth noting that when I was evaluating this, it was during the damage formula tweaking. This would have made the problem appear worse than it is because high damage hits were being reduced. Splitting a high damage hit into 6 lower damage hits effectively avoided the new formula.