Berserker Fiend does little or no damage

I’m not sure if this is a bug or if I’m just missing something. My berserker fiend (which I started the game with) typically does very little damage- I’m talking like 0-5, when other creatures in my party, with lower attack (including bonus from artifacts) are dealing routinely 300-500. Sometimes though- maybe once every few battles- it will suddenly deal a ton of damage (1000+). Attack bonuses (e.g. Molten Wall) don’t seem to make a difference. It’s equipped with a nature lance which, as far as I can tell, should have no effect on damage output. I’ve traded it out for another artifact with no result. Other creatures in my party are: Stronghold, Necropolis, Hellgate Cerberus, Carver Shadowstalker, and Inox Apocalypse.

Any ideas?

I should add that this has been true in the past 5 or so levels. Before that it typically worked fine. Its artifact gives it a splash buff which is typically devastating.

I guess it could be a bug. The fact that it’s 0-5 instead of always 0 is what throws me off. I’ve never encountered anything like that, especially at relatively low levels and with such a common creature, but my Griffon team goes from 0 to 41M damage randomly too.

Yeah, it will occasionally (as in one out of four battles) suddenly start dealing a ton of damage and slaughtering left and right. Then the next battle I get 0, 2, 0, 1, 5, etc. The fiend is at level 81.

Any thoughts, Zack?

I added some very slight damage variance so that you don’t always deal “just” 0 damage. It’s to help ensure that, at low levels, you can still get through most battles instead of being stuck in a stalemate dealing 0 damage the whole time. That explains the 0-5 thing.

I’m not sure why you’re not dealing much damage to begin with since there are so many variables that could contribute to it. I’ll have to look into it at some point.

Please look into it. There’s definitely something wrong. I bread a new berserker fiend with 26 gene strength and at level 65 it’s still dealing usually 0 damage at realm depth 34.

What is your Berserker Fiend’s attack value at level 65 (Realm 34)?

664 + 154 with artifact

I should also add that with deity points I’m at level 9 for attack and 6 for increased outgoing damage

That is really strange. Barring very high defense creatures (or the annoying Siren Soothsayer that lowers your attack down to your Intellect) that should be enough attack to deal significant damage in Realm 34.

As others have mentioned small numbers like 0-5 typically mean that attack is not high enough to overcome enemy defense … but perhaps there is an odd bug in the implementation of the Berserk buff?

He mentioned the fiend had a nature lance. I wonder if it has to do with how the Berserk buff interacts with the class specific lances.

I thought that might have had something to do with it, but I switched the lance out for a generic sword with the same result.