Buff for single-type shields

I’m not sure if single-defense shields are as hard to use as I assume they are (the defense values ARE huge, but for only 1/5 of monsters), though if you know what a major sigil has I can see them having more use.

I did have one idea that might make them a bit more appealing, if they aren’t strong enough currently - why not have them have an innate, non-slot using Pad buff attached to it?

Once you remember that Defense-scaled abilities still count individual Defenses, you’ll get the point.

Also, a Chaos Defense shield enables one of the most brutal attackers in the game - Crystal Smith w/ Pandemonium Strike.

[quote=“VagrantSun, post:2, topic:771”]Once you remember that Defense-scaled abilities still count individual Defenses, you’ll get the point.

Also, a Chaos Defense shield enables one of the most brutal attackers in the game - Crystal Smith w/ Pandemonium Strike.[/quote]

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if there was something I was missing - nobody mentions using them and single-defense shields were considered worthless before. What is that ability, however? I assume it does pure (extra/defense ignoring) damage based on your Chaos Defense, and since a Crystal Smith gets 3x defense from its equipment, you can easily add on 3-5K defense after the ability by mage level 80-100 or so; single defense shields already have 350 base defense or so.

It’s the Enchantment of Chaos Defense - deals damage equal to 150% of the positive difference between your Chaos Defense and your opponent’s. Since you can stack Chaos Defense a LOT faster than Luck, and you can stack Priest Vizier’s bonus 30% with it, Pit Wraith Redeemer’s missing health = bonus Def ability, Lifebinder for bonus 30%, Occult Spellbinder for a max of another 50%, then Abnegation for another 45% at max Power Balance . . .

And then you can cast Chaos Inoculation, which reduces your other defenses by 50%, but increases Chaos Defense by 100%.

So you can do a lot of damage, is what I’m saying.

[quote=“VagrantSun, post:4, topic:771”]It’s the Enchantment of Chaos Defense - deals damage equal to 150% of the positive difference between your Chaos Defense and your opponent’s. Since you can stack Chaos Defense a LOT faster than Luck, and you can stack Priest Vizier’s bonus 30% with it, Pit Wraith Redeemer’s missing health = bonus Def ability, Lifebinder for bonus 30%, Occult Spellbinder for a max of another 50%, then Abnegation for another 45% at max Power Balance . . .

And then you can cast Chaos Inoculation, which reduces your other defenses by 50%, but increases Chaos Defense by 100%.

So you can do a lot of damage, is what I’m saying.[/quote]

It’s probably overkill (and a bit unreliable, and would need to replace the Crystal Smith ability), but what about the adaptive scales ability that decuples your defense after taking an attack of a certain type? It’s probably too gimmicky (no enemy Chaos creature? no luck; and the fact you have to get hit without getting mauled), but still, multiplying your damage by 10 is tempting in theory. :stuck_out_tongue:

Isn’t it? Ultimately, incremental increases just don’t measure up to the raw power the Smiths bring to the table most of the time.