Bug & crash when entering promo code with Bynine

I’m running version 2.02 on an iPad mini Retina, iOS 8.2, not jailbroken.

After several hours of searching for Bynine, I found him. I entered several Touch Arcade promo codes, which were refused as they were already used. One did not produce the “already used” message, but rather the error window in the first attached image. After I pressed OK, the screen froze at the second attached image and the game had to be forcibly quit as it did not respond to any input.

My last save game did not have Bynine in it, so I began searching for him again. After a several hours I found him, and this same issue happened on the 5th or 6th try but after entering a different code than used in the first instance.

Disappointing but obviously not the end of the world. Hopefully my information can help in future cases.

Entered Code.PNG

That’s strange, I’ve never seen that one before.

Is Bynine still in your castle? Check your PMs, I’ve sent you a code that hasn’t been claimed yet. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Steam version:

So I was just going through the gift codes, to check if there were any still unused, and I stumbled upon these errors, that seemed very much like the one described above, except it gave multiple error messages before crashing:

############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_giftcode2:

Cannot open another file (maximum exceeded).
at gml_Object_obj_giftcode2_Step_0
############################################################################################

I then got a couple more error messages that I didnt copy, since I thought they were the same message again at first, but I think the third one said something about closing an empty text. Anyways the game was still running, then I pushed the accept button and got a couple of more error messages:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_giftcode:

File is not opened for reading.
at gml_Object_obj_giftcode_Step_0

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_giftcode:

DoSet :: Invalid comparison type

After this last one, the game crashed.

I just started the game and talked to bynine and entered codes. I did at one point entered a wrong one, but got the usual message that I entered an invalid code. Think it was around code number 20-30 that all the error messages popped up.

Checked the code again after, then it just said it was already used like all the other ones, so doesnt seem to be the code itself at least.

Thanks for all the info!

Got it to happen again after another 20 codes or so, here are all the error messages in the correct order:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

Trying to close text file that has not been opened.

This is where i pushed accept, and i could also get as far as to talk to Bynine, then it gave me more error messages after choosing to enter a new code:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_giftcode:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_giftcode:

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_giftcode:

DoSet :: Invalid comparison type

I choose the ignore option on all of them except the last one where only abort was available. I dont know if having them all helps any, since it seems easily reproducible, but there it is at least ^^