Burning Mummies at the Library.

I’m currently playing with a very Burn-heavy team, featuring Pyro Grimoire at the star-player. A team which is quite a lot of fun, looks aestheticly pleasing and which I intend to roll untill I complete the Grimoire collection. But while researching my team I found out, much to my dismay, that not only is Burn severly undersupported without the Grimoire, but some of the Grimoire’s themselves are rather lackluster. Likewise it dawned on me that the Mummy family is rather anti-synergistic and includes opputunities for quite a few fun builds, if a few changes are made.

This thread is me posting a few suggestions for trait/spell changes and my reasons for why I think they (or something similar) should be added to the game.

Hence the title. Mummies, Burn and Grimoires galore.

Starting out with the Mummies. The family is cool but includes three problem children. Gimp Mummy has to actually connect in order to have any impact, but it has atrocious Speed and the benefit of actually hitting is rather… “meh”. Scourge Mummy does a rather poor job at punishing spellcasters and the punishment is, yet again, rather “meh”. And finally Mummy Lord is all over the place in terms of stats, as he needs high Defense, decent Speed AND Attack in order to really do anything. Yes, his is a combo-trait meant to be put onto artifacts, but the creature itself suffers severely for it.

Add to this that Mummies, and the Curse teams they try to encourage, can’t really… do anything, once your Curse is in place. Which makes the playstyle rather passive and bland.

My suggestions would be something along the lines of:

Gimp Mummy 1 - When this creature attacks or is attacked by a creature, that creature becomes Cursed for 3 turns. If that creature is already Cursed, it is damaged by the Curse (for half?).

Or

Gimp Mummy 2 - When this creature attacks or is attacked by a creature, the creature becomes Cursed for 3 turns. If that creature is already Cursed, the entire enemy team becomes Cursed for 3 turns.

The former Mummy would allow players to use Curse as an offensive means of doing damage, the latter would help apply curse without the use of Damnation/Jinx and without forcing players to invest into Speed.

Scourge Mummy - Whenever Curse or Burn is applied to a creature, this Creature applies whichever of the two weren’t applied to that creature.

A simple mimic of Flamehook Pilwiz which opens up for a lot of possibilities. Curse/Mummy teams get a lot more milage out of the “Curse deals Int-damage” Rune, meaning they get an additional means of killing things. Burn teams get access to Nightmare/Doom Mummy synergy. Efreets become less reliant on having a Pyro Grimoire + Elder Grimoire combo going on and suddenly don’t “have” to be either Warlocks or Wizards or include a lot of Chaos creatures.

Mummy Lord 1 - Whenever this creature defends, a random enemy attacks it three times. Each of these attacks deal 40% damage.

Mummy Lord 2 - Whenever this creature defends, ALL Cursed creatures are damaged by their Curse (for half?).

The first one let’s Mummy Lord do what he wants to do without having to invest into Speed. Sure, he still has to invest into either Attack/Defense or Intelligence/Defense, but at the very least he’s only got two stats to worry about now. The latter allows players to go for the kill, using the Curse debuff.

And while I’m at it, I’d like to propose a couple of changes to Forbidden Grimoire. Who currently holds the title of “least used Grimoire”, which is a damn shame as it looks awesome and it was the first one revealed to the public. Forbidden Grimoire is obviously intended as support for Curse teams (Spell Lock forces the enemy to attack, Savage Roar makes Curse hit harder and Jinx applies it). The problem being that, unlike the other Grimoires, his spells are only marginally better than standard spells and he synergises incredibly poorly with the other Grimoires. Heck, Spell Lock is a worse Magic Suppression!

• Jinx: All enemy creatures become Cursed for 3 turns. If those creatures are already Cursed they take (half?) Curse damage.

• Savage Roar: Your creatures gain a large amount of Attack, but lose a moderate(!) amount of Defense.

• Spell Lock 1: Remove all buffs and debuffs from the enemy team. They take damage dependent on the number of buffs and debuffs removed.

• Spell Lock 2: Silence the enemy team and remove their buffs.

• Spell Lock 3: Timewalking which affects all creatures.

The change to Jinx would make it a much more interesting alternative to Damnation. Savage Roar is bad in its current form because you’re sacrificing Defense (best stat in the game) for Attack (which is on more on less equal terms with Intelligence as the worst stat) on a 1-1 basis. And Spell Lock is bad because it’s just bad, but changing Spell Lock to do something unique like removing enemy buffs or causing a global Timewalk would make it so much more interesting and the creature far more playable.

Heck, I’d play Forbidden Grimoire in a heartbeat, if it had an enemy-only and an allies-only version of Mass Dispell.

And finally the Efreet tribe, and Burn in general, has some rather anti-synergistic options. Obsidian Efreet want burns to expire, but Pyro Grimoire and Ashbone Efreet both work against this goal. Most Burn related creatures aren’t Chaos, but only Chaos includes spells that apply it. And Ashbone Efreet is just overall rather poor because you really don’t want to bet on your burns lasting that long.

• Ashbone Efreet 1: Whenever a Burn debuff deals damage, it has a 50% chance to trigger again. This effect can only activate once per turn and does not stack.

• Ashbone Efreet 2: Whenever one of your Efreets cast a single target spell on an enemy, they have a 30% chance to cast Fireball at that target aswell. This trait does not stack.

• Ashbone Efreet 3: Whenever a creature takes damage from Burn, it loses 25% Attack and Intelligence. This trait does not stack.

Ashbone 1 allows for Synergy with Frostfire Efreet and increases the deadlyness of Burn in general. Ashbone 2 helps apply Burn, promotes Intelligence and gives you a reason to run a lot of Efreets. And Ashbone 3 makes it easier for Burn teams, which are very Intelligence heavy, to stall the game.

And finally I’d like to suggest moving Fireball and Flamestrike to Sorcery and possibly moving, say, Spell Strike and Spell Breath, or Mind Control/Tricks, to Chaos. Sorcery has a much, much better reason to include Fire spells, than Chaos has. What with Sorcery including all manner of fire-based creatures (Djinn, Efreet, Phoenix, Dragon etc), the trope of a Wizard includes hurling fire at people and Burn being an Intelligence-based debuff and the Efreet tribe really needing some magic-support other than Timewalking. Fireball and Flamestrike both seem like decent traveling-candidates, as they’re both rather “standard-tropy” spells.

Also, I’d love to see spells that interact with various debuffs. Like say, a spell which causes Burns to deal one tick of damage and then expire, for Obsidian Efreet support and as a means of dispelling Burn. Or a spell which drains Mana from a creature with Silence.

That was… quite a bit of writing. But I’m done now! Huzzah! Time to go… pay my bills? Gah!

I’m going to get real controversial-like up in this mother.

I realized a couple of things today and quite a few of them are of the sort that makes me understand 100% if people don’t want to play ball with me anymore. But I was doing some grinding with my Pyro Grimoire team today, found a creature I needed to extract and decided to break the norm a bit and use some stat boosts. The outcome terrified me as I was capable of easily outpreforming the damage I dealt with Burn, by simply casting a few Int boosts, or make my party completely immortal using some Def boosts.

Following this I started working on a Curse team, so I can put Forbidden Grimoire to some kind of use. The synergy of Mind Tricks/Control and Curse being the driving force here. But it quickly struck me; why bother? I’d needlessly be crippling myself, as I could just use Doom Mummy to increase my Intelligence or Attack and blow the enemy out that way. Still going to try the Curse/Mind Control thing, but it will be accompanied by a series of defiant grunts.

With a slight feeling of defeat in my wrinkly little heart, I decided to do some Arena runs. Because I looooove the Arena. And as I was doing said Arena runs I got to thinking: Why do I even like doing this? I haven’t put any time into these random creatures and yet I’m having more fun with this chaotic mess of a team, than I am with my own guys?

Thinking which has led me to the following conclusions, all based around the philosophy that what makes Arena-runs and the early parts of the game fun is that fights take more than 1-turn and you get to actually do more than “lol, I survived the first turn, now die!”.

A: Stat boosting spells are fundementally bad for the game and I’d strongly recommend either nerfing them severly or removing them entirely. They make it far, far, far too easy to get your stats to obscene levels, they’re practically impossible to balance propperly and they make buff-effects virtually useless.

B: AoE’s are far too plentyful and make a variety of tasks too easy. Wanna play with Mummies? Well, here’s Damnation, now go have fun. Of course I don’t suggest completely removing them from the game. But I do recommend drasticly lowering the amount of AoE’s in the game and quite possibly increasing their mana-costs. Pyro, Runic and Forbidden Grimoire would all be considerably more interesting if they were the only “easy” sources of AoE Burn, Poison/Blight and Curse effects and it would, strangly, make playing with the associated teams more interesting. As you’d have to actually apply the effects with your creatures, rather than just cast a singular spell and be done with it.

C: Increase mana costs for the more powerful spells. If people can cast practically any spell in the game without investing into mana, then mana becomes obsolete. I want to see planets costing 50+ mana. Get people to really invest into their magic! Also, consider making on-hit/when-hit effects far less likely to proc on more powerful spells and diffinitely consider removing “health cost” from them. No investment, no Planets for you.

D: I’ve been doing some thinking and I honestly believe that it’d be a good idea to restrict artifacts a bit. As things are right now people just look at what stat their creature needs to preform and then simply maximize that (Trait/Buff/Pure Stat).

This makes percentage boosts absolutely insane, for starters, as you’ll have one absurd stat you focus on increasing as much as possible. Rather than mixing and matching. I’d recommend restricting artifact stats to a max +3 to any given stat. It would make creatures like Flailing Manticore, Viper Occultist and the Forsaken line more interesting, make stat abuse slightly more difficult and add some variety to the game. Nether Auras being an issue too, but as they need a LOT of investment to become absurd I really don’t think of them as “problematic”.

E: Currently there’s a number of traits that are, to be honest, a bit silly. And by silly I mean way, way, way too powerful. Pariah and Warforged might be the absolutely best examples of this, as they easily buy the player that one turn they currently need to win any given fight. I’d rather like to see Pariah changed into only providing Shades with Invisible, as it would keep it as Shade support but remove a lot of abuse from it. War Forged I, honestly, think is just pure bad for the game as it, like stat-boosts, make Buff effects useless. In War Forged’s case by just giving them to you.

The big thing here being to not allow the player to simply buy a first turn where they don’t have to actually engage with the other team. Because if they can secure themselves the first turn, they will win.

G: Poison and Burn are currently rather boring, as the only difference between the two is that one scales of Attack and the other Intelligence. I’d suggest doing something along the lines of what was done in Siralim the First and make burn a debuff which gets stronger over time, which would allow for designs focused around decreasing it’s duration (making Obsidian Efreet very happy) and restoring Poison to its previous stackable glory. Opens up for a lot more design possibilities and makes both a lot more interesting to play with. Naturally they also become a lot more advanced, but delving out of “smack-bam-instagip-land” isn’t really something people tend to do untill they’ve developed a decent understanding of the game.

On another note entirely, I’d rather like to see what I refer to as “base” creature sprites being used for the first member of any given family encountered. I’ve expressed my reasons why before, but I’ll be repeating myself for clarifications sake non-the-less. Breeding a Caustic Cerberus and getting a Cerberus Hellguard is boring, because you already knew you’d get a creature looking like that. But breeding a Cerberus Hellguard and getting a Caustic Cerberus, who breaks conventional lore for the monster, is something interesting and creates a sense of “evolving” the beast.

A list of creatures who currently don’t use “base” sprites, that I could find:

Chaos:

• Caustic Cerberus -> Cerberus Hellguard.
  • Diabolic Observer -> Diabolic Spectator/Watchman?
  • Berserker Fiend -> Destroyer Fiend.

Death:

• Blood Reaper -> Bone Reaper.

Life:

Firewound Angel -> Goldblight Angel?
Dusk Crusader -> Dawn/Holy/Mist Crusader.
Aen Rift Dancer -> Aerum Rift Dancer.
Unicorn Vivifier -> Unicorn Consecrator.

Nature:

Urhul Tremor -> Quamar Tremor.
Dragon Scout -> Dragon Soldier.

Sorcery:

Elemental Familiar -> Mystical Familiar.
Volatile Phoenix -> Royal Phoenix.

I agree 100%.

I figure that mostly what you need to do with buff spells and stop them from stacking - maybe give them a buff icon like any other buff so they can be dispelled as well. Alternatively, cap the stat bonus to 50-150% of your original stat so you can’t go from 500 attack to 5000.

I’m against nerfing AoEs because it would make most of the game a chore - buff single target spells more instead, or give more reasons to have single target battles like Nostalgia-sized encounters or even strong single enemies like Misery on occasion. Same with mana costs - and both of these things punish new, unoptimized players, as they won’t be able to increase their mana to even use the spells they need to clear things consistently.

I also think limiting how much you can have on one stat on an artifact sort of pointless, but I’m not really against it, either. It wouldn’t change things that much

I do agree with points E and G, though, as well as giving Sorcery AoE more spells that don’t have other stats inserted into them.

Here’s where I disagree, but for a different reason/take on it than just “nerf them” or “they are bad, mmmkay”.
Stat boots for the most part work well, as a single cast. When you throw in multiple stat boost triggers, multicast, or exponential growth on them, it becomes problematic. The % that they increase stats likewise isn’t a problem. Casting a stat boost should feel meaningful; but it should not be endlessly meaningful.

My solution would be to limit a stat boost to 30% of base stat increase per combat. This would only apply to temporary stat boosts gained in combat such as triggers (such as "when this creature defends) or spells. Traits that give innate stat boosts would be excluded.

It’s not that they are plentiful, it’s that they are too easy to acquire. I’d argue that certain schools (like Death, Nature, or Sorcery) have very little in the way of AoEs. Chaos simply has tons of offensive AoEs, and Life has tons of defensive ones. My solution would require a revamp or tie into the perk system.

Solution: Only mage kings of the appropriate class can access AoE spells (outside grimoires). Make all spells single target, and utilize something along the lines of the perk system to allow spell casts to become AoE (within the same class). For example, Volcano would be a single target spell. A Chaos Mage would be able to (through Perks) elevate that spell to 2 (additional target), 3 (row), or 6 targets, or even add effects like cast twice. I would much rather have these things in part of an earned/invested system rather than a random drop system on the spell gems themselves.

I agree entirely here. The entire spell cost system as it stands now seems very odd. Health Cost is also very strange on things like healing spells, which often result in no actual health loss.

For me, it’s not about the sprite, it’s the usefulness of the trait. Some families just have traits in the first monster that outshine all the others. Fallen Carnage is a clear example. I have never had a reason to breed any of the other monsters in the Carnage line, except to unlock them.
Some of the families have traits that work together, some do not.

about A:
They should not be removed. A sensible limit based on the stat value at start of combat is enough. Even a 300% limit seems ok since enemies will outscale it eventually.

about B:
The selection of AoEs is fine, their mana cost is fine, their damage is not (see C)

about C:
You can not increase the mana cost of AoE spells much because enemy creatures must be able to cast them. The highest mana enemy creatures will have outside of a random artifact enchant is 41 for some vortex. 30 mana is average and should be the maximum cost for an unmodified spell gem.
In my opinion AoE spells are still overpowered (and single target spells underpowered). AoE damage should only match/exceed single target damage when there are at least three targets meaning single target damage multiplier should be at least three times higher than a AoE multiplier.
Spells in general could use a nerf (or attack a buff) because attack has way more counters/trigger compared to spells and even its “AoE” splash is weak.

about D:
I disagree, stat enchants on artifacts are dump enchants anyway after you got everything else like trait, battle start buff, immunity …
The impact from artifact stats also diminishes with increased gene strength. For example 500 gene strength in one stat (+95 to base stat) is roughly equal (5%difference) to the strength of 8 stat enchants if your creatures and character are the same level.

about E:
In my opinion Pariah is fine. If stat stacking or statless traits were harder to come by and not nearly as powerful as they currently are you would not be able to kill an enemy team in your first round if the enemy had much higher stats than you. If Pariah is deemed to powerful I have no problem with it being nerfed though. The current Warforged (without Invisibility/Shell) seems very balanced to me and I would be very puzzled by a nerf to it.

about F: 404

about G: Being based on two different offensive stats is enough distinction between poison and burn for me. But I agree wholeheartedly that they should be stackable from different sources.

Entire idea behind all this is sound. Problem is how enemies scale mostly. They scale so fast that only way to survive the first turn IS by cheap tricks. Try breeding enough health defense so that you can survive first turn later on. Or just so that you start. Scaling in general makes anything BUT insane boosts and one cast kills too hard at some point.

While i dont agree on the stats nerf, maybe the punishment that causes turn order to be every other creature per team is how the game should be. BEcause that really puts a hamper on stacking of buffs, first turn kills etc in general. (ofc this would require limiting manipulation of queue more, and so on).

I think the biggest issue the game has is that the “AI” plays badly, which is hard to do something about given the tools in gamemaker.

If your entire team is invisible it SHOULD drop an aoe on you everytime if it has one. But at the same time if you instead focused on survivability you should be able to survive first turn in other ways. Currently its very very hard and requires focusing all traits into survival more or less.

Balance in a game like this is hard, when you deal with infinite content. Because either the player “breaks” the system, or the system breaks the player due to scaling. Not everyone plays as optimized, most players dont read forums, dont look into numbers etc. They should have a chance as well.

Unfortunatly i dont have a better suggestion myself, except maybe only using stats you hade at start of battle for buffs spells, to avoid exponential scaling. So even if you buff your int by 30%, each cast only gives you 30% of what you had before spells / effects came into picture, that way even with 5 casts you would only have x2.5 of initial value.

Question is, will this make the game more FUN? Because honestly i am having tons of fun as it is now. It’s a singleplayer game, you are ALLOWED to be OP, if you dont want to be, using more punishments, self-imposed limitations are options.

There is no loss for you for someone else being overpowered.

I’ve been somewhat busy (if you can call it that) and haven’t really had the time to invest into writing a response to the lot of you. Knew these were fairly controversial statements and while I’m not nearly as adament about them as it would appear, I still do believe them to be justified and I’ll be doing my darndest to prove this. Mostly because the longer the conversation goes, the more feedback Zack (ALL HAIL!) gets about the general state of affairs.

First point is going to be stat-boosting spells. Keep in mine that I’m referring to spells specifically and not traits, as activating a trait takes more than just pressing a button and requires a bit of teamwork. I won’t be quoting anyone specific here, as there’s a lot of repetition going on.

The general consensus as of now seems to be that stat-boosting spells are much too powerful. Which I fullheartedly agree with. Likewise the general consensus seems to be that the best way to deal with it is by means of tweaking the numbers. Personally I’d rather have them removed entirely, with a few noteworthy exceptions. Partially because all you need is one cast of them, even if they get nerfed severly, partially because it’d be one heck of a doozy to try and keep them functional and balanced and finally because they’re just kind of… boring.

I’d much rather have spellcasting be a matter of using utility and disruption. Than it just be a matter of stacking numbers and having your numbers pay off by casting random-AoE type 7B. It’s a radical change, yes. But ultimately it strikes me as the easier and more fun option. Naturally I’m more than perfectly happy with some sort of restriction.

Jamosup:

The single most powerful spell in the game, in terms of sheer numbers, is Spell Blast. Due to it being a bit buggy as of now. Despite it being basically an insta-kill button, it, alongside pretty much all the other single-target spells, never actually gets cast. Because it’s infinitely more efficient to just spam AoE’s untill the cows come home. I have a very hard time seeing how buffing single-target spells would change that, if AoE’s remain as powerful and common as they are.

Likewise I have a hard time seeing how it punishes new players, if mana costs were increased for a number of spells. As a higher mana-cost would be a very clear indicator of “you’re not meant to use this - yet”. Quite the contrary, I believe it would create a sense of achievement and accomplishment to finally be able to cast that Planets you found AND that it’ll make not only spellcasting more fun, but give you mana-bar some actual import.

As to lowering the amount of AoE’s, or completely removing them, and their absence being a chore. I think you and I have a very different understanding of what is and what isn’t a chore. To me a chore is a mindlessly repetitive task, completely and utterly divorced from any sense of involment, that you repeat over and over again in the hopes that you can get to do something more interesting afterwards. I think of simply AoE’ing down the enemy team as being just that - endlessly repetitive and mindless.

Try and start a new file or play some arena. You’ll find that the game becomes a lot more involving, when you have to prioritize targets and care about your creatures’ health.

Psylisa:

Yet you suggested a hard nerf yourself, bravo.

Terribly sorry for being an ass, but I stated my reasons for wanting them either nerfed or removed completely and none of them were “they are bad, mmmkay”. Admittedly I was rather sparse, but the tip of the iceberg was revealed non-the-less. Another two options, off the top of my head, would be that they make creatures with non-passive stat-boosting effects obsolete and that they make it much too beneficial to be at the buttom of the queue. As you can safely buff up your guys and then go /kill/.

[quote]It’s not that they are plentiful, it’s that they are too easy to acquire.[/quote].

Dosen’t matter how easy they are to aquire, if they trialize the majority of spells - and combat in general. Also, if they are plentiful then are are easy to aquire, by default.

I like it, but it’d be an aweful lot of coding and it wouldn’t end the current trend of AoE’s trivializing combat and quite a few mechanics. Personally I’d prefer it if AoE’s had more interesting effects that required an in-combat investment. For instance a spell which causes damage to targets with Poison, preferably in a world without Poison Gas.

And it is rather odd, how you can get Planets as one of your starter spells. “Here, now go insta-gip things”.

[quote]For me, it’s not about the sprite, it’s the usefulness of the trait. Some families just have traits in the first monster that outshine all the others. Fallen Carnage is a clear example. I have never had a reason to breed any of the other monsters in the Carnage line, except to unlock them.
Some of the families have traits that work together, some do not. [/quote]

The sprite is important because it’s easy to change, has a considerable impact on the breeding-aspect of the game and gives you a sense of familiarity with both the game and the creature-lines at large. It’d be nice to either see certain families be a little less restricted by their mechanical-theme, or have a few abilities switched around though.

Although I rather like Fallen Carnage as the “main” Carnage. He was a bastard in Siralim 1 who showed up too early and he’s a bastard in Siralim 2 who shows up too early.

Kejal:

I’m perfectly fine with anything as long as something is being done. Admittedly I’d prefer to seem them removed and replaced by more interesting effects, but that’s just me being weird.

Enemies eventually outscaling it strikes me, with all due respect, as a rather poor position to take. Partially because it is possible to achieve numbers that the enemy will never manage to outscale (Palace Familiar), but also because it’s not a solution to the emidiate problem of players being able to become amazingly powerful fairly early into the game. Which in turn can make a player feel punished for optimizing, by the game becomming less fun and engaging.

I don’t mind the player being powerful, overpowered even. But it has to be something that the player works towards.

[quote]The selection of AoEs is fine, their mana cost is fine, their damage is not[/quote].

It quite evidently is not. And that includes non-damaging AoE’s as well. Do you use Wildfire Efreet or Spitting Arachnalisk in Burn or Poison teams? No, you put on Volcano/Poison Gas/whatever and apply the effect with the push of a button without having to invest into your creatures or in-combat tempo.

Does that make all of them bad? No, I really don’t mind spells like Confusion, for instance, (although Confuse seems to be bugged, Zack (All Hail)). Because it’s got an element of chance to it, which makes it a matter of risk-management.

Of course you can. Just make certain that wild creatures who don’t have sufficient mana can’t spawn with spells they can’t cast. Shouldn’t even be that difficult.

I personally believe that nerfing spells is the right way to go, rather than buffing physical combat. I base this on the understanding that your avarage battle lasting exactly one round just isn’t healthy for the game, or particular fun for the player.

[quote]I disagree, stat enchants on artifacts are dump enchants anyway after you got everything else like trait, battle start buff, immunity …
The impact from artifact stats also diminishes with increased gene strength. For example 500 gene strength in one stat (+95 to base stat) is roughly equal (5%difference) to the strength of 8 stat enchants if your creatures and character are the same level.[/quote]

But not everybody has gene strength 500(!!!), if fact. It seems like 50 is considered quite a big deal.

If you’re boasting 500(!!!) gene strength, then you deserve to be considered so far out of reach for any possible balancing measures that you honestly shouldn’t even be taken into account. I myself really don’t mind people breaking any sense of balance, if they’re putting that much effort into it. Same goes for Nether Auras.

I did some last minute cutting and appear to have deleted something I wrote about how defense is calculated in regards to reduced damage. My bad.

Random_Rolle:

Another radical notion: Make the game scale slightly less agressively and reduce player earnings based on this. Just throwing it out there.

[quote]Question is, will this make the game more FUN? Because honestly i am having tons of fun as it is now. It’s a singleplayer game, you are ALLOWED to be OP, if you dont want to be, using more punishments, self-imposed limitations are options.

There is no loss for you for someone else being overpowered.[/quote]

I never even as much as implied I wasn’t having fun or minded people being overpowered. For shame on you for assuming otherwise. What I mind is the general player getting punished by the game for optimizing, by combat becomming trivial and a 1-round affair. And several game mechanics being borderline obsolete.

All of my, admittedly rather radical suggestions are aimed at tuning down the game’s pace from your average encounter lasting 1-round, to 3-4 rounds. If people want to become overpowered, then let them. Nether Aura’s, broken traits and Gene Strength are all wonderful ways to accomplish this.

EDIT: And it does, it fact, hurt the player in more ways than one. A burn team is, for instance, just a standard caster team with ridonkulous numbers that are considerably less redonkulous than a standard caster team and various creatures who’s job is to apply debuffs are outclassed, severly, by spells. Yes, players have the option of playing with these teams and try to make the best of it, but the knowledge that their team can and will preform better if they just stopped spamming Inferno and Raze in favor of Unholy Confessions and Random-AoE-Type: 7b, isn’t particularly fun.

Believe it or not. But I honestly think that the game is currently very restrictive in terms of team-building and I believe that toning things down will create a lot more diversity and options.

That should cover it. Phew…

Do keep in mind that I don’t resent anyone for disagreeing with me. Heck, I hardly agree with me on most of the points that I’m defending. But devil’s advocate is one of the worlds most constructive games, ever. :stuck_out_tongue: