Casting a temporary spellgem (possibly via Whjitestar Geming) crashes the game [0.8.10]

Platform: Win10

Casting an ethereal Whirlwind (gained via some trait or other that just gives me like 5 free ethereal gems) against 4 occultists stacked with debuffs (things had died prior) causes the following crash message to appear

############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_battlecontroller:

Variable Get 172398 (101226, -2147483648)############################################################################################
gml_Script_bc_CreatureCast (line 2100)
gml_Script_bc_CreatureCastSpellGem (line 281)
gml_Script_bc_CreatureCast (line 11784)
gml_Script_bc_Turn (line 252)
gml_Object_obj_battlecontroller_Step_0 (line 596)

Screenshot:

Found another crash, this time while casting an ethereal Epidemic gained from the Whitefire Gemling’s perk that shares spellgems around. I think it might be due to my build.

############################################################################################
ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

Variable Get 139569 (101226, -2147483648)############################################################################################

My build is here: ignore the choice of spec, as this has happened both on Tribalist and Evoker, which tells me that it doesn’t matter which class I’m on.

Crash number 3:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

Variable Get 128663 (101226, -2147483648)############################################################################################

This time it was an ethereal Unanswered Prayers.

Accidentally took my team in. This time it was an ethereal Drain Power.

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

Variable Get 148559 (101226, -2147483648)############################################################################################

Is there a way to consistently reproduce this crash with your save file? I’ve been trying to figure out why this is happening for a long time now but haven’t been able to figure out exactly what is causing it yet. If you can reproduce it regularly, could you please PM me your save file or attach it here with steps to make it happen?

I’ve never been able to reproduce it in a way that could be considered consistent. All I know is that it happens regularly enough that it can be expected to happen two battles into a realm at the latest. My creatures have a different spell gem each, and all share it.

There’s a large focus on casting ridiculous amounts of Unanswered Prayer, but also on casting Misery and Epidemic, and (rarely) Drain Power manually. Considering this has happened on different gems, I can only assume that it’s something specific related to the order of casts triggered by Aurum’s perk. This is just a theory though, as there are several moving parts to this build and it happens at varying stages in a fight.

Attached is my save file. Typically, every fight begins with an Unanswered Prayer cast. Only the Topaz Carbuncle ever manually attacks, but I rarely get to that point, so it’s safe to rule him out as a contributing factor I think.

I’ll keep trying to trigger the bug, and I’ll try to keep track of what I’m doing. I’ll let you know if I find a common thread.slot1.sav (1 MB)

Thanks for all the info and for your save file! I’ll take a look when things cool down with the Steam release!

Much appreciated. I really want to get this build tested out and finished for another buildguide!