As has been discussed, many seem to be positive to the idea of having some sort of challenges or competitions. So this topic is for ideas and comments around this. The plan for now is to look at the first idea below (Pure Stat-Based Challenge) and see how good the response is to this challenge before trying anything as ambitious as a weekly challenge. When a challenge is ready to get started a new topic will be created to keep track of the results and the final rules will be posted in the new topic. I will try to keep this post updated during the process of creating the ruleset for a given challenge and if you have any ideas or comments on challenges or competitions, feel free to share them.
Pure Stat-Based Challenge:
This is all about seeing who can get to the deepest realm level by only using pure stat-based abilities. The nature of this challenge makes it have a large number of banned abilities.
Monthly / Weekly Challenges:
This one is about doing things differently, and might give some weird rules. Some ideas that have been mentioned (or i just pulled out of my…):
How deep can you get with a team only consisting of trolls?
How deep can you get in 1 hour from the game starts with no-castle quests, no-random, hardcore, no reincarnation.
How deep can you get in 10 hours with only ever using 3 creatures at a time with no-castle quest, no-random, softcore, no reincarnation.
The rules posted here are not final, but is an indication of how the challenge is looking in its current form. (consider this a work in progress)
Pure Stat-Based challenge:
Must use pure stat-based abilities: This means that you can not use any ability that bypasses the enemies stats completely in any way.
- Abilities that swap stats with the enemy team.
- Instant kills (this also includes Culling Strike, Timebomb and Doom).
- Status effects that completely puts enemies out of combat, Sleep, Stun, Snare. In addition to Calm.
- Abilities that do percentage damage in any way or form including, but not limited to, the Chaos Mage perk Sadistic Pleasure and the debuffs Wane and Bleed.
- “Perfect tanks”, this includes Blood Dance, Death Beckons, Cradle to the Grave and the spell Mass Invisibility.
- Abilities or buffs that reduce max attack damage taken to X% of your creatures max hp including the Life Mage perk Holy Defiance.
- All spells that go under any of the categories above, in addition to: Snow Storm
- Known bugged ability: Toxic Thorns (scales off of the enemies attack stat),
- Known bugged ability: Catching Fire in combination with Ember to Inferno (deals damage based on too long Burn duration).
Stuff that is allowed: (for clarification)
- Debuffs like reduce the defence of the target by 25%, give the enemy Weak, Poison, Burn, Disease and so on.
- Buffs to your team, every buff not in conflict with the banned abilities will be ok (increasing stats, giving Shell, Barrier and so on).
- Using old saves. Creating a new save is not a requirement to join this first challenge.
Here are stuff that will keep the challenge topic (not this one) tidy and easy to follow up on:
- Do not add a new reply every time you increase your best, instead, add once in a while.
Things to post for a new best:
Team composition, realm level cleared and the level of your mage. (The last one is simply used as a sort of “power comparison” and has no influence on the list)
Raven Acolyte: Everything is Gone, Im thinking this counts more as a buff / debuff than actually dealing % damage. This is currently planned on being allowed.
Must clear at least 3 floors in a row for it to be accepted as a new personal best. This is something I think might be scrapped, simply because it is impossible to check and it really only makes it more frustrating meeting that one “counter” creature to your setup (if any).
Im not sure wether the challenge needs to have so strick rules regarding percentage damage (current hp), but I think that its better to say no first and then allow in more later on.
Will probably kick off this challenge soon, but no promises yet.