Death mage playstyle?

Looking at the perks I’m not sure I get the Death mage playstyle, quite a few perks related to summoning creatures.

Is it worth summoning creatures? Surely building a team and controlling their traits is better? Also how many spaces should you leave empty? Basically how do you do a summoning playstyle?

The easiest way would be using the Nostalgia punishment. That way you start battles 6 against 3.

What about without any punishments, what ways can you ensure that using summoning (with the death mage perks) is viable?

I don’t know if the Animate Dead spell works with the Living Nightmare perk (it should) but if it does you could even use a single Necro Grimoire with the Book of the Elder trait to start battles with 5 summoned creatures with its same gene strength, higher stats than normal and three guaranteed spells (Unholy Augmentation and Death Siphon being the important ones). You only need to focus on breeding and equipping one creature this way, and I’m pretty sure it would do just fine.

It does!

Most of the things discussed here are mid to late game items.

That’s kind of my only issue with Death. And maybe that’s intended, but it would be VERY helpful early game to get a summon boost or some subtle hint that screams out: “summon”. Maybe start with the Summon Death spell gem?

It’s not like summoning is the only thing Death can do. Resurrection teams are viable as well.

Which I think goes hand-in-hand with summons.

For Chaos is was really clear - here’s a big beefy creature with nearly 0 intelligence. Oh, and here’s an Aftermath spell gem, now go have fun.
Same with Life. Build up, buff up, heal up, win the longer-term fights.
For Nature, it was also clear (except for Sand Giant starting with Shellburst - worked much better w/Wolpertinger). Maybe it should start with Summon Nature as well?

Sorcery and Death were the only ones (for me) that were like uhh… should I be casting? Why do I have terrible spells? Should I be summoning? Why didn’t I get a summon gem? There’s also that bit of randomness from the first Librarian spell gem collection.

[quote=“Psylisa, post:6, topic:2339”]Most of the things discussed here are mid to late game items.

That’s kind of my only issue with Death. And maybe that’s intended, but it would be VERY helpful early game to get a summon boost or some subtle hint that screams out: “summon”. Maybe start with the Summon Death spell gem?[/quote]

Yeah (for me at least) it doesn’t sound like you get much from these perks early on which is a shame. Also summoning early on doesn’t sound very viable it all seems to be a late focus.

Perks in general are more mid-game than early for all classes. Death is a bit more specialized, I guess.

Something that could be done in regards to the Necromancer (Death Mage sounds silly, be real) would be to move Haunted Golem’s trait to an early game Death Creature. As the Haunted Golem summon does indeed count as a summon/temporary creature. Also, maybe having Friden go “Hey, you look kinda glum…”, or something, as a little hint to Necromancers that he has some of the most important spells for the class.

Sorcery, however… umm, well, a good place to start would be to realize that Spell Strike is just bad and that the Gorgon has nothing interesting to offer. Actually, come to think of it, it might be an idea to take a good, long, hard look at the Sorcery spell school and some of the creatures in it.

Admitedly the Wizard class is amazing and my personal favorite. But it really does struggle in the early game with that few Spell Gems, two poor creatures and whatnot.

I had the exact opposite experience. Nature summoning early was good, but then I dropped it once I acquired enough stats/artifacts/traits. Once you hit Realm 15 or so, it just drops off. Death might be another story in that regard though.

The problem in regards to the Necromancer and summoning in the early game is that Summon Death is the rank 5 reward from Friden. They just don’t have acess to the spell early on.

Maybe giving Death a ressurection spell, which summons a temporary Death creature instead of actually ressurecting a party member, would be an idea?