Devblog #19: Charms and Cards

This post will reveal two new items coming in Siralim 2: Charms and Cards!

Charms

Charms are one-time-use items that allow you to summon packs of enemies that contain specific creatures. For example, if you use a Shadow Carnage Charm, 3-4 packs of enemies will spawn around you that have a high chance to contain at least a few Shadow Carnages. These items are useful if you’re interested in stocking up on some cores for a specific creature. Alternatively, if your party composition has a particularly easy time handling certain creatures, you can use them to safely level up. As you might have guessed, Charms replace Siralim 1’s system where you could sacrifice cores for a similar effect.

Charms can be purchased from a special Charms Vendor in your castle. You can only purchase Charms for creatures that are already in your bestiary - that is, you must obtain the creature in question through summoning or breeding before you can purchase a Charm for that specific creature. Charms cost a small amount of resources in addition to that creature’s core.

Cards

There is a card for every creature in the game. Each card provides you with a small passive bonus just for having it in your inventory. For example, if you have a Unicorn Vivifier card, your creatures will have +5% Health. If you consider that there are over 500 creatures in Siralim 2, the bonuses can certainly add up and make a difference in battle! You can only find one card for each creature, so it’s impossible to have two Unicorn Vivifier cards.

Cards are EXTREMELY rare, and can only drop from their own creature (so Unicorn Vivifiers are the only way to obtain a Unicorn Vivifier card). You can use Charms to target specific cards you haven’t found yet, but I want to reiterate that they are extremely rare. Most players will definitely not find every card in the game, and that’s intended. These items are meant to give players a nice surprise when they’re found, but not something to necessarily work toward as a foremost goal.

Charms seem like an odd implementation relative to the rest of the changes in that they make the system from Siralim 1 a bit more complicated for less reward. But, I do like that you will immediately see the result of the charm upon use, rather than having to clear every enemy on the map looking for your spawns.

Cards sound amazing though. Will there be any way to augment this drop chance, or just the charms and things which increase creature appearance rate? Creature ability, artifact enchantment, spell, etc? I like the idea of it just being an ultra-rare drop with no way to exploit it. Like those cursed imbued orbs.

There’s no way to increase the drop rate of cards. They’ll be the rarest items in the game by far :slight_smile:

About cards: YASS, more things to collect! I love collecting tons of things!

You say that they are “extremely rare,” but will there be an end-game skill or method that increases (even if it’s not by a big amount) the drop rate of those? Because if the average player will only find 3 or 4 cards out of 500 in over 100-200 hours of play (not an average player, any more :P), I think a lot of potential would be wasted. But maybe the drop rates are not as absurdly low as that.

Pre-post edit. I see that you already answered the above question. Oh well, I still hope they won’t be as rare as that.

Now, about a totally unrelated thing: how will you name the sequel? Will you add a word or a group of words like Siralim - [size=7pt]“imagine three question marks that don’t automatically transform into a smiley”[/size] or will you simply add a number? In the latter case, I would prefer “II” to “2” because I think it’s cooler.
I was disappointed that the second game in the Legend of Grimrock series used a “2,” I don’t think it fits with a fantasy setting very well.

Cards won’t be quite that rare - if you play for 100 hours, I’d expect that you’ll have at least found 20 cards by then. I’m just pulling numbers out of nowhere, but hopefully you get the idea.

As for the name: I am having a hard time deciding on the name, actually.

On one hand, Siralim 2 (or Siralim II) makes it very clear that there was a game prior to this one and that it’s an entirely new game - not just an expansion or something like that. On the other hand, I’m concerned that a lot of newcomers might think that they need to play the first game or else they’ll miss out on important story details or something like that. Right now I’m leaning toward just Siralim 2 or II, but I’m not completely sold on it yet. Any thoughts?

[quote=“Zack, post:5, topic:1166”]Cards won’t be quite that rare - if you play for 100 hours, I’d expect that you’ll have at least found 20 cards by then. I’m just pulling numbers out of nowhere, but hopefully you get the idea.

As for the name: I am having a hard time deciding on the name, actually.

On one hand, Siralim 2 (or Siralim II) makes it very clear that there was a game prior to this one and that it’s an entirely new game - not just an expansion or something like that. On the other hand, I’m concerned that a lot of newcomers might think that they need to play the first game or else they’ll miss out on important story details or something like that. Right now I’m leaning toward just Siralim 2 or II, but I’m not completely sold on it yet. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Those are good numbers, that means that you will probably see a few of them in a lifetime, they won’t just be myths.

For the name: yeah, that’s a dilemma, for sure. It’s tough to name things, especially when they are so closely related.

An example could be The Binding of Isaac. It came out four years ago, but a new game that could also act as an expansion came out a year ago, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. It includes all of the items from the original, has the same mechanics but also adds lots of things so it’s technically an expansion. It was built on a new engine, though, so it’s definitely a new game. And you don’t need to have played the original to fully enjoy the new release.
It’s very similar to what you’re doing, adding lots of creatures and mechanics to an existing base.

That still doesn’t get you anywhere, but I hope that helped in some way.

I wonder if it will be possible to get cards and charms from the missions then but have them be randomly chosen then? Because I would likely play until I at least had all the cards!

So monster drops will be the only way to get cards?

I hope there will be an indication on the monster that we have its card or not in our inventory.

Correct. That’s the only source of cards, and there’s no way to increase the drop chance in any way other than by using charms to increase the frequency at which you encounter those creatures.