Devlog #1: Creature Acquisition and Breeding

In Siralim 1, you need to collect three identical cores in order to summon a new creature. A lot of players found this system to be very tedious, and I tend to agree. The biggest flaw with this system is that, the more creature tiers you unlock, the creature you actually want to find in the wild becomes more and more rare.

Siralim 2 addresses this issue in two ways:

1. Only one core is needed to summon a new creature.

2. New creatures tiers are now unlocked automatically as you reach certain realm levels. This prevents players from feeling like they have to “game the system” in order to get the creatures they want.

[hr]

Aside from that, Siralim 2 will offer a new breeding system! Here’s how breeding works in its current implementation:

1. About 50 different creatures are unlocked by default at the start of the game. You can extract cores from these creatures and use them to summon that same creature. Other creatures will be unlocked later on, but you can’t extract a core from them until you breed them.

2. Take two or more creatures to the Hatchery and breed them together to create a brand new creature. For example, a Firewound Angel and any creature belonging to the Yeti race will give you an Icewound Angel. Any Pilwiz creature that is bred with any Golem creature will give you a Steampowered Pilwiz. Other creatures are more difficult to unlock because they call for a more specific combination: to create a Topaz Paragon, you must combine a Revenant King with a Whispering Shade.

3. You can figure out breeding combinations through your own experimentation or by completing quests for the librarian. These “recipes” will be stored in the library for your reference, and some recipes will be unlocked by default at the start of the game.

4. The two creatures you used for breeding will disappear forever, and you’ll receive an egg. By default, the egg does not require a ritual to hatch, but if you do certain things to the egg to power it up, it’ll require a ritual. More on that later.

5. The offspring will have higher base stats than normal. The stat increase will be based on the parents’ levels and their own stat distributions; this is called “Gene Strength”. Gene Strength is a numerical value that increases each time that creature is used in the breeding process, so the most powerful creatures will have many ancestors.

The goal of this system is to give players something entirely different to focus on other than pure battling, and to make the creature acquisition process more interesting. Breeding also ties in to the new Nether Creature system which will be revealed in a separate blog post. The amount of content that this system adds to the game is staggering, and I believe it will single-handedly make the game feel much more rewarding than in Siralim 1.

There are a few other ways to acquire new creatures in Siralim 2, but you’ll have to wait for the next blog post to find out what they are!

Any tweaks to freshen up abilities of the old creatures, or weaker secondary abilities? Excited about the new creatures for sure, just wondering if the S1 creatures will all be the same, for the most part

Most of them will have to be overhauled because, for example, the Luck stat is being removed, and two new stats are being added. Defense is being streamlined into one stat, so instead of having Life Defense, Death Defense, etc., it’ll just be called Defense. Several buffs and debuffs are being removed and changed as well, so abilities that utilize those will have to be changed. I also want to make them a little less complex - most are fine in that category, but some feel like they’re overly complex for no good reason.

This is all very good news to me Zack, eager to find out all that’s new! Quite intrigued. Let me know if you require a creative writer or some such, as it’s a hobby of mine. In case you’re forming a Siralim 2 pokedex of sorts, or perhaps dialogue if the Siralim universe is being expanded.

Monster breeding was by far one of the best aspects of the DWM game, very glad to see it being introduced here. My excitement glands are most definitely tingling with anticipation to abuse that feature.

I know it might already be too late to change this sort of thing, but I just want to throw out there that one of my favorite aspects of DWM was knowing what you’d get when breeding. Not just in terms of the monster created, but the very transparent stat inheritance. I’m not sure what the details of your system will look like, but I wanted to be a voice chiming in for more predictability in breeding outcomes, should the question come up during future development.

Yeah, there’s nothing hidden on that front. It’s very similar to DWM where it’ll show you exactly what creature will hatch from the egg, including its stats and ability.

This all sounds great. I was concerned that Siralim 2 would simply be Siralim plus and that I might find it difficult to go back to the start after logging hundreds of hours (well, just over a hundred so far, but I’m fairly late to the party!) on Siralim 1. But this all sounds like it’ll be different enough to make it all new and exciting. Good stuff!

Personally, I liked the excitement of seeing an enemy for the first time and the little bit of pressure of getting a successful extract off before the battle ended one way or another. Since you could use that core to summon a realm with tons of the monster in it, getting 3 cores never seemed like a grind.

Breeding will only add value to the game if you make stats gained from it relevant, which they hardly were in most of the endgame teams of Siralim 1. From what you’ve posted, breeding seems like a different way to get new/higher starting stat monsters but it seems like it adds a mindless and unnecessary complexity to the game. Starting teams from level 1 over and over feels grindy in a bad way.

So far it seems quite similar to nether creatures but inferior, because the most desirable quality of nethers was the chance of an additional ability. I worry that players will be constantly stuck levelling breeding eggs, nether eggs (the gem grind was ridiculous, perhaps that can be toned down a bit) and take even longer to get the team they actually want to stick with.

Perhaps there’s more to it or I’m just not seeing it, I really want the grind to be a rewarding one this time around :slight_smile:

Battles will be mostly stat-driven, and abilities won’t be quite as over-the-top as they are in Siralim 1. Nethers won’t be even remotely similar to what they are in Siralim 1 either since the new system ties into breeding; it’s much more straightforward, requires less grinding, and is nowhere near as difficult to understand.

So will that mean it will be much harder to make an almost useless Nether creature in Siralim 2 then? Awesome.

What do you mean?

You said that creating Nethers will be much easier to understand in the sequel, thus it will be less likely for someone to make a mistake in the creation of one to render it less helpful than normal. I am looking forward to more details on how Nethers will work though… hoping we will not need to do something similar to gem grinding like in the original.

Gems are being removed from the entire equation, since I think those are what made the process feel so complex and could sometimes turn the game into an unrewarding grind. Long story short, now you’ll just have to activate a Nether Orb and apply it to an egg. Eggs are now created from breeding, so you won’t have to run around trying to find a Nether Creator anymore either. Lastly, Diamond is being changed from providing an experience point bonus to providing an Intelligence bonus (which improves spell damage).

Ah I just thought of something would the descendant of a Nether have some lingering bonuses from its ancestor being one? Could it be possible to gain great benefits by using the same… uh bloodline as Nethers and stack the benefits? Or will Nether benefits only affect that creature?

Still not 100% sure on that yet. The current plan is to just give that specific creature the bonus, otherwise it would be very difficult to balance. For the record, breeding = additional base stats, Nether Orbs = additional stat growth per level.

Siralim 2? Is this a whole different game/sequel? Or is it a new patch to the original? I’m sort of confused on this.

Siralim 2 is a completely new game (a sequel to the current Siralim).

Siralim 2 is currently in development and is expected to enter Beta Testing at some point early in 2016.

HYPE!
The only thing that seemed missing in the first Siralim!
Please include a little bit of randomness of breeding as well. That was one of my favorite things about the DQM series and what keeps me coming back it. Seeing those ??? and the excitement of what overpowered monster I was going to get is my video game crack.

Here’s how it works in its current form:

1. Choose a parent - the pedigree. For the sake of this example, let’s say you chose a Unicorn Vivifier.
  2. Choose another parent - the mate. Let’s say you chose a Dryad Raincaller.
  3. In this example, the offspring would be a Unicorn Stormbringer. If you already found the proper breeding recipe page, you’ll be told ahead of time that you’ll receive a Unicorn Stormbringer. Otherwise, it will just show the offspring’s stats and all other information will be omitted.
  4. If you proceed with the breeding process, you’ll receive an egg. If you didn’t have this recipe before, it’ll be added to the library. Note that you can find recipes in other ways as well, such as in treasure chests or by completing repeatable quests for the Librarian.
  5. You can hatch the egg and it will contain higher base stats than normal based on the stats of the offspring’s parents.
  6. After you hatch the egg, the Unicorn Stormbringer will be added to your bestiary. You can now extract cores from enemy Unicorn Stormbringers, whereas you were unable to do so before.

Note that most creatures have more than one valid breeding combination. For example, the Unicorn Stormbringer can be created by breeding any Unicorn with any Storm, any Unicorn with a Dryad Raincaller, and any Unicorn with a Thunderstruck Phoenix. This means that there are three breeding recipes for you to find just for this one creature. Some creatures have more recipes than others, because much like in DQM, I want some creatures to be more difficult to obtain than others. Some breeding recipes are more specific than others - for example, some creatures can be created by breeding two of any creature from a specific race (any Unicorn + any Storm), while others require two very specific creatures (Sand Giant + Magma Golem).

Hope this makes sense! Feel free to ask questions or let me know if something doesn’t sound good.

Hi Zack,

Thanks for the explanation. The breeding process looks really interesting.

What I want to know is : is it useful to make the same breed several times ? I suppose doing a breed you have already done will only provide an egg for which you already have the creature, so you will have another of that same creature. But can its stats be different from the first breed ?