Devlog #17: Creature Races and Abilities, Part 6

While there are hundreds of brand new creatures from all-new races coming to Siralim 2, all the old creatures from Siralim 1 will make a return as well. Some races even have new creatures (such as the War Golem and Heretic Hunter). But the most exciting part about these creatures is that none of them will have the same abilities they had in Siralim 1. The remainder of these “Creature Races and Abilities” posts will discuss old creatures and what their abilities do. Let’s start with three Life races.

Unicorns

This is the Unicorn Thundercracker. In Siralim 2, Unicorns specialize in providing a useful effect for their allies after they attack, and the Unicorn Thundercracker is no exception to this rule. After this creature attacks, it has a high chance to move a randomly-selected ally straight to the top of the Action Queue, allowing them to take their turn immediately. Other Unicorns can heal or resurrect their allies, while some can provide a large boost to their allies’ Attack and Intelligence after attacking. Unicorns have extremely powerful effects, mitigated only by the fact that the beneficiary is chosen at random.

Spirits

There won’t be any new Spirits this time around, so we’ll use the Clairvoyant Spirit as our example for this race. Spirits have abilities that activate when they or their allies are healed. The Clairvoyant Spirit’s ability reads as follows: When your creatures are healed, a random enemy takes damage equal to the amount of Health recovered. This is an extremely versatile ability, especially for players who use a lot of Life creatures and spells. With this ability, you can even make your Mend buff also serve as a damage-over-time effect against your enemies.

Demigods

Demigods focus on manipulating the Health of their allies and enemies. They aren’t direct damage dealers or healers, but still affect Health in a very different way. Here’s what the Omnipotent Deity’s (pictured above) ability does: Your creatures share a combined pool of Health but take 50% extra damage from attacks and spells. This means that your creatures will have a massive amount of Health to work with, and the only way for any one of your creatures to die is if they’re all dead. But on the other hand, they’re much more susceptible to effects that deal damage based on your creatures’ Current Health. This is a powerful ability, but only if you utilize it properly and build your team to counteract its weaknesses.

In Siralim 1, there were a lot of creature races that lacked a cohesive theme. I really like the how you able to provide these races with a cool theme, while still allowing for a wide variety of interesting abilities.

Also, creatures (and more generally team compositions) with powerful abilities, but clear weaknesses are a great design direction! :->

Wait does that mean there is not going to be any instant death based abilities? :slight_smile:

Nope, shying away from anything like that this time around.

I think the Unicorn Thundercracker’s ability is rather OP. Imagine an enemy party with six of them. Every time one of them attacks, it has a high chance (~ 75%?) to grant one of its friends an instant turn. But it could go on forever.

Am I missing something? Will there be restrictions concerning this ability? Because that would basically be an instant death, albeit slow and painful.

Yay I guess that means death based abilities will not be as… troublesome as well.

[quote=“Lethrblaka, post:5, topic:1162”]I think the Unicorn Thundercracker’s ability is rather OP. Imagine an enemy party with six of them. Every time one of them attacks, it has a high chance (~ 75%?) to grant one of its friends an instant turn. But it could go on forever.

Am I missing something? Will there be restrictions concerning this ability? Because that would basically be an instant death, albeit slow and painful.[/quote]

I think you’re right. I was thinking the exactly same “exploit” was possible.

This ability should be limited, for instance it should not be able to bring another Thundercracker to the top of the list, or maybe the effect could have a diminishing return.

Ah but we do not know all the other abilities yet. Perhaps there is a defensive setup that completely destroys having six Thundercrackers.

But what if your team is not that defensive setup?

I doubt it will be as high as 75%

Well, even a very small chance such as 1% could ruin your party. Sure, the odds are abysmal but it could happen. :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides, there is currently a creature ability (I think it’s on a Unicorn, too) healing the creature on your side who is the lowest on health, but it says that it can’t heal the creature who’s got the ability. It would be infinite healing if there weren’t that restriction.

Bad luck happens… as long as it does not make it harder to reach a goal I do not see a reason to complain. If there is an issue it will likely be dealt with well before we get to enjoy the game. My only issue with bad luck is in games that have drop/encounter rates stupidly low. Like 1/10000. -_- heck .32% is too low as it is especially when they are no ways to guarantee an encounter. (Referring to Monstermmorpg) But if its bad luck you are complaining about… well there is not much you can do about that as far as I know.

[quote=“Lethrblaka, post:5, topic:1162”]I think the Unicorn Thundercracker’s ability is rather OP. Imagine an enemy party with six of them. Every time one of them attacks, it has a high chance (~ 75%?) to grant one of its friends an instant turn. But it could go on forever.

Am I missing something? Will there be restrictions concerning this ability? Because that would basically be an instant death, albeit slow and painful.[/quote]

Siralim 1 has a creature Hysteria Ghoul with an ability “Back for More”. This ability gives the creature a 50% of taking an extra turn after its current turn. I have seen strings of crazy-good luck where a Hysteria Ghoul gets 5 turns in a row!!!

However, teams of 6 Hysteria Ghouls (while potentially annoying) are not game-breaking in Siralim 1. Therefore, I expect that teams of 6 Unicorn Thundercrackers will not be game-breaking in Siralim 2. (The ability is very similar, except that Hysteria Ghoul gives itself an extra turn and Thundercracker gives an extra turn to a random ally.)

Noetherian pretty much summed it up. Keep in mind that an ability is really only broken if it’s overpowered 100% (or near it) of the time. Yeah, you’ll win a few battles with 6 Unicorn Thundercrackers, but there’s no way that will be consistent enough for you to beat difficult encounters. There are also plenty of ways to counter this strategy anyway, as NeoDraconis pointed out. With that said, I think it’s fun for abilities to -seem- overpowered even though they’re really not, so I guess that one in particular is a success in that regard. :slight_smile: