Devlog: Life Mage Perks Revealed

http://www.thylacinestudios.com/siralim-3-life-mage-perks/

Life Mages look mostly the same.

One thing I disliked in Sirlim 2 were the barrier mechanics. You were never able to see your barriers, and barriers could be overwritten by a lower value from a latter effect.
Has this be corrected or addressed at all for S3?

Barriers were never overwritten - they were added together. That’s different in Siralim 3 though - the stronger buff/debuff overwrites the old one for all buffs/debuffs.

Barriers are now displayed on your health bar so you can see how strong they are.

[quote=“Zack, post:3, topic:3735”]Barriers were never overwritten - they were added together. That’s different in Siralim 3 though - the stronger buff/debuff overwrites the old one for all buffs/debuffs.

Barriers are now displayed on your health bar so you can see how strong they are.[/quote]
I’m fairly certain they were overwritten, whether intended or not. They certainly weren’t added together, as one of my teams would be utterly immortal due to the large number of Zephyr casts and additional healing on every cast. It made the Luminescence perk rather useless in S2.

I distinctly remember casting a Zephyr for over 1m expecting a 250,000 barrier, only to be overwritten by a single target low heal and getting one-shot by one of the gods in S2. The barrier was only like 30,000. My other characters lived and it showed the barrier at 250,000 being destroyed.

I immediately spec’ed out of Luminescence because of that. And that was on PS4, so it’s not like it was an earlier version of the game.

But hey, good news for S3 at least in terms of the visibility of Barrier.

Life Mage perks feels the most redundant out of all the mage types. The Perks themselves feel strong, but lack excitement. Almost all of the perks serve the same defensive role.

Healing Received seems inferior compared to Healing Given. I would change Healing Received into something more exciting. Like:

Spiritual Gift: When your creatures are healed, there is a {10/20/30/40/50}% chance it gains a random buff.

[quote=“SyneLau, post:5, topic:3735”]Life Mage perks feels the most redundant out of all the mage types. The Perks themselves feel strong, but lack excitement. Almost all of the perks serve the same defensive role.

Healing Received seems inferior compared to Healing Given. I would change Healing Received into something more exciting. Like:

Spiritual Gift (5 Ranks Total): When your creatures are healed, they also recover {1/2/3/4/5} Mana.[/quote]
I assume that the Healing Received and Healing Given would stack multiplicatively.
Boring - yes. But extremely potent to magnify your healing, especially with other traits that increase healing.

Ex. - With 10% Healing Given and 10% Healing Received
A creature heals for 100 life as a base
Now that 100 becomes 110 when it casts, and then 121 when it lands on one of your creatures.
That’s a gain of 21%.

At 40% and 40%
The 100 becomes 140, and then 196 when it lands.
That’s a gain of 96%.

[quote=“Psylisa, post:6, topic:3735”]I assume that the Healing Received and Healing Given would stack multiplicatively.
Boring - yes. But extremely potent to magnify your healing, especially with other traits that increase healing.

Now that 100 becomes 110 when it casts, and then 121 when it lands on one of your creatures.
That’s a gain of 21%.

At 40% and 40%
That’s a gain of 96%.[/quote]

Why even have two traits then? If they both serve the same purpose, just increase the bonus of one of them and remove the other.

[quote=“SyneLau, post:7, topic:3735”]

[quote=“Psylisa, post:6, topic:3735”]I assume that the Healing Received and Healing Given would stack multiplicatively.

That’s a gain of 21%.

At 40% and 40%
That’s a gain of 96%.[/quote]

Why even have two traits then? If they both serve the same purpose, just increase the bonus of one of them and remove the other.[/quote]

The perks you mentioned only serve the same purpose in a vacuum. They have very different effects when coupled with other traits and spells.

Of course, that’s why Early Access is nice - if people don’t like these perks or whatever, they can always be adjusted. More perks will be added later on as part of content expansions as well.

The mage traits are very powerful for all the classes. Seems like grinding out the mage perks basically auto-grants you a scaling team. This is a bit worrisome to be honest. I want finding rare creatures and artifacts to be more meaningful that the auto-granted mage abilities that anyone can get by just easy grinding lower realms. One possible solution could be to lock the mage perks behind realm levels. That way you have to properly earn the right to some of those powerful skills.

In S1 and S2, you couldn’t really grind lower levels. You had to go higher to keep pace with enemies to gain any meaningful experience. If S3 uses a similar system, then low level grinding will be most inefficient.

Also, while not in Zack’s early reveal, I would expect these perks to have caps, just like in S1 and S2. He did say somewhere that the perk cost would not scale up for every point invested like in the first two games, however.

You get deity points for completing realm missions. The easy grinding i was referring to was just grinding out the perks, naturally that would be inefficient for exp sorry I thought that was clear.

I don’t see how any of the class perks grant a scaling team. Maybe Death Mage depending on how easy it is to obtain Saia’s boosts, but it’s not like you can play an overpowered summon team from the beginning, since that playstyle requires pretty specific traits and spells.

I would argue that creating a scaling team with the class perks would be trivially easy. You basically have the framework for scaling teams built in to each mage now.

Nature mage was pretty close to this in S2 and was by far the most powerful. S3 seems to be bumping up the others to Nature mage level instead of retuning Nature.