Devlog: Perk Design, and Death Mage Perks Revealed!

http://www.thylacinestudios.com/siralim-3-perk-design-and-death-mage-perks-revealed/

Awesome!! This is the info I have been waiting for! Can’t wait for each one to be revealed each week. Interested to see all perks =D

Wow, the Death mage looks cool. I like that it has several strong branches to mix and match. I feel like I could play several different styles of Death mage. In Siralim 2, I didn’t see any real benefit to changing from my first choice (chaos), but it looks like I’ll have to experiment in Siralim 3 and find the one that works best for me!

Also, is there any cap to Saia’s stats, or will it eventually be crazy strong?

It’ll eventually be crazy strong, but that’s no different from using a bunch of Tomes on a creature (which are consumable items that have the same effect).

While I like most of what’s here, I’m not sure if I like the design decision of two things.

1. Stat-increasing perks being class-limited. Everything else is fine, but I think base stats should be innate to all. That also may cause extremely lopsided stats lategame, where you have 50% or more of one stat than the others because it’s the only one you can increase.

2. The impersonal nature of half the Death mage’s focus being on a unique, unchangeable creature. Even though it would be mostly identically gameplay wise, I feel it would be both cooler and more in line with a creature-breeding game if picking the perk instead gave you the Death’s Edge that would permanently bind itself to one of your creatures, effectively making it the same gameplay wise, but retaining its old icon (maybe even recolored) and name. The lore behind that would be sweet, too, and I think more befitting of a death mage than summoning some weird leper. Sort of like giving up your normal life for unlife and immortality as a necromancer or lich in other settings.

I do understand if it’s too far in development to change these things! These are just my personal opinions, and the perk design is otherwise interesting to me.

[quote=“jamosup, post:5, topic:3680”]While I like most of what’s here, I’m not sure if I like the design decision of two things.

1. Stat-increasing perks being class-limited. Everything else is fine, but I think base stats should be innate to all. That also may cause extremely lopsided stats lategame, where you have 50% or more of one stat than the others because it’s the only one you can increase.[/quote]

That’s a really good point. I’ll change it so every class has access to all of the stat-increasing perks.

Oh, welll… So: no more Death Pact, Graft, From Death to Destiny, Corpse Defilement and Hymn of the Dead ?
Overpowered flesh golem pet instead of (more or less) unique mechanics ?

"We’re not in AzeroSiralim anymore…

…But hey, I want to go back."

So I see the point about X% Bonus Stat being a problem if only provider to one class. That being said, I like the thematic link between Death and Defense (or more generally making a particular class care a bit more about a particular attribute).

You might consider something like the following as class-specific perks:

1. At the start of each fight, all of your creatures have [small] chance to increase Defense by 50% for this fight.

2. Defense Tomes (or Pills or whatever you call them) have an X% chance of awarding an additional Stat point.

3. Each of your creatures adds [small] percentage of Defense to all other attributes. (… Or perhaps just adds a percentage of it’s Defense to it’s lowest attribute)

4. When a creature dies it gives X% of it Defense to adjacent Allied creatures

Naturally, if you ask me, I believe that +X% perks and traits should be avoided when possible.

Yes, Siralim lost boardgame (DnDish magic system with MtG traits) feel since S1.
In S2, though, it regained an interesting twist with being almost (almost) classical tactical sandbox. Somewhat like Wizardry games, most of traits and perks still offered interwining mechanics instead of plain bonuses.

Now, if S3 gonna turn into complete MMORPGish number game with “+% of this stat and +% of that” I will seriously quit.

As for Death - it should about enthropy and pain/gain (not to mistake with Chaos’ risk/reward) duality. Sacrificing own summons was extremely fitting, as well as making enemy corpses unexploitable.

Does Saia count as a temporary summoned creature? It would be neat if it had synergy with Living Nightmare. What I don’t like is having three other traits that are dependent on taking Saia first. I think those traits should be consolidated into one. So it would look like this for example:

Rank 1 (25 Points): Exclusive access to Saia.
Rank 2 (50 Points): Daybreaker trait.
Rank 3 (75 Points): Nighttaker trait.
Rank 4 (100 Points): Damnation’s Edge.

I’ve seen other people suggest the same thing, but why does it matter? Even if they were a single perk, that doesn’t mean there would be new perks to replace the 3 you’d lose.