Easier Catchup to make Breeding and Team-Changing less punishing

One issue with the game’s balance so far I’ve noticed is that low level creatures don’t catch up terribly quickly; they do get a little bonus experience, but a level 20 creature will barely get more than a level 30 one. It can take so long to catch up from level 1 that putting a new creature in or breeding your creatures can cripple your ability to progress for a long time. It’s left me afraid to breed or change my more efficient creatures, for worry of having to grind for hours to catch up to where I used to be.

I feel like if creatures below your mage’s level got a very significant experience bonus (I’m talking enough to make them get 5-10x of your normal level creatures, instead of +50-100% like it is now), regardless of enemy level (so if you’ve bungled yourself so you can’t fight high level monsters, you don’t get stuck being penalized either). If you start with a level 50 mage, a level 50 creature, and a level 1 creature, it can take hundreds of battles for the two creatures to reach a similar level, when it could more realistically take a couple dozen. That way, players can explore the new breeding system without having to spend ages re-leveling their new monsters, especially if it ended up not working with their team :slight_smile:

I’m still enjoying the game greatly, but it feels like the amount it time it takes to catch back up dissuades players from using one of the most-touted and siginificant features from the sequel. Hopefully it can be made a bit gentler to get your creatures back up to speed :slight_smile:

There’s a perk that transfers some of the xp, but it’s not significant enough to make a difference (I’ve tried it).

I think the intention was to utilize the Sigil system to “catch up” creatures, but it truly doesn’t operate like that. You’re never in a position of breeding your entire team. Having one high level creature prevents the bonus from Sigils, too.

In all, I avoid breeding unless I want a creature that requires it. I’m not using it for the Gene Strength, as it requires too much effort for such a minimal boost to the creature.

[quote=“arubino99, post:2, topic:1464”]There’s a perk that transfers some of the xp, but it’s not significant enough to make a difference (I’ve tried it).

I think the intention was to utilize the Sigil system to “catch up” creatures, but it truly doesn’t operate like that. You’re never in a position of breeding your entire team. Having one high level creature prevents the bonus from Sigils, too.

In all, I avoid breeding unless I want a creature that requires it. I’m not using it for the Gene Strength, as it requires too much effort for such a minimal boost to the creature.[/quote]

I actually just remembered the “Smart Eggs” perk is completely non-functional. Even with 5 ranks in it, newly hatched eggs are level 1 with 0 EXP. I’m not sure how much fixing that would help, but it would be a start.
If Sigils didn’t give extra items, but a very significant experience bonus to underleveled creatures if you had creatures above the sigil level, that would also likely help things significantly.