Gem Combination

The last 1.0.13 update has brought gem combination. This is a great way to quickly increase gem level in addition to gem boxes found in the realms but it is quite expensive. So I wanted to do some calculations.

First thing to know, you need two identical gems (no enchantment or same enchantment and same level). And the resulting gem will not be enchanted, even if the starting gems were enchanted. That can be used to “disenchant” gems as well as increasing their level.

Here is the number of level 1 gems you need in order to get a gem of each level :
[table]
[tr]
[td]Gem Level[/td]
[td]Level 1 Gems Needed[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]5[/td]
[td]16[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]6[/td]
[td]32[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]7[/td]
[td]64[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]8[/td]
[td]128[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]9[/td]
[td]256[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Creating a gem costs Essence. Here is the essence cost for creating a single gem of each level with combinations. I have taken a starting essence cost of 12000 which is approximately what I needed with my level 88 character.

[table]
[tr]
[td]Gem Level[/td]
[td]Cumulated Essence Cost[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1[/td]
[td]12,000[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2[/td]
[td]24,000[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3[/td]
[td]48,000[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4[/td]
[td]96,000[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]5[/td]
[td]192,000[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]6[/td]
[td]384,000[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]7[/td]
[td]768,000[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]8[/td]
[td]1,536,000[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]9[/td]
[td]3,072,000[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I find that above level 4 the combination system begins to be really expensive. My two cents is that a good compromise between combination and gem boxes is to create enough gems to combine them all to level 4 then going to the realms to achieve upgrading it to level 9. Starting the whole enchantment process can begin when gems are combined.