Help surviving spells and debuffs

Hello,

I bought this game a week ago and are having a great time. I love planing the team and finding ways to use the most of their abilities.
Trying not to read to much on the forums as not to spoil with a “best” setup, but I think I will have to ask about this one.

I’m a lvl 66 sorcery mage (I know, have read they might not be the best: )playing on random creatures, with the following setup
77 volatile Phoneix - 77 Steampowered Pilwez - 77 Skeleton Mortarman
51 Witch doctor sacrificer - 68 Nightwing Gargoyle - 75 Stronghold

Artifacts are ok, even if there is no amazing abilities on them and no nethers as of yet, but are planing a Def stronghold with a blue orb and a hp witch doctor sacrificer with a red orb.

The team hold up pretty well, even if record is just realm 8, but are usualy totaly decimated if the enemies have either an artifact with root or stone, killing my stronghold in a round, or the more usual mass stun, mass snare, dubbel aoe spells resulting in a fast wipe. This often happens as low as realm 2.

My questions are:
1: Is there any good counters to this beside the consumable making you take 0 spelldamage next fight? I know there is some silencing creatures, but that is after the first spell, ofter rendering the silence useless.
2: Was it a really bad idea to do my first playtrought on randomized creatures?

I feel pretty helpless when I can take on pretty tought teams in one fight, and in the next be decimated by “scrubs” just cause I can’t counter a spell.
Not giving up and are not after a game winning setup, just some pointers to where I go wrong :slight_smile:

There is a nightmare mummy that prevents spells on both sides. There is also a cloud that has 50% to fizzle enemy spells.

[quote=“Qwireca, post:1, topic:953”]Hello,

I bought this game a week ago and are having a great time. I love planing the team and finding ways to use the most of their abilities.
Trying not to read to much on the forums as not to spoil with a “best” setup, but I think I will have to ask about this one.

I’m a lvl 66 sorcery mage (I know, have read they might not be the best: )playing on random creatures, with the following setup
77 volatile Phoneix - 77 Steampowered Pilwez - 77 Skeleton Mortarman
51 Witch doctor sacrificer - 68 Nightwing Gargoyle - 75 Stronghold

Artifacts are ok, even if there is no amazing abilities on them and no nethers as of yet, but are planing a Def stronghold with a blue orb and a hp witch doctor sacrificer with a red orb.

The team hold up pretty well, even if record is just realm 8, but are usualy totaly decimated if the enemies have either an artifact with root or stone, killing my stronghold in a round, or the more usual mass stun, mass snare, dubbel aoe spells resulting in a fast wipe. This often happens as low as realm 2.

My questions are:
1: Is there any good counters to this beside the consumable making you take 0 spelldamage next fight? I know there is some silencing creatures, but that is after the first spell, ofter rendering the silence useless.
2: Was it a really bad idea to do my first playtrought on randomized creatures?

I feel pretty helpless when I can take on pretty tought teams in one fight, and in the next be decimated by “scrubs” just cause I can’t counter a spell.
Not giving up and are not after a game winning setup, just some pointers to where I go wrong :)[/quote]

The obvious solution is Nightmare Mummy, but with random it’s hard to tell when you would get him, and shutting off spells entirely generally hurts you more than it helps in the long run, since you can leverage spells more effectively than your enemy. It’s generally only more useful if you don’t have a lot scroll charges to spare (like in the early to early-mid game).

Get initiative. On low realm levels this can be done with speed enchants. Higher on you need the topaz enchant (try not to summon the Topaz Paragon, as this unlocks him on enemy group), the nature mage/druid’s Raid perk, or the bugged Presence of Mind ability when combined with the angel shrine. Take down or disable most of your enemies on your first turn and you don’t have to deal with so many spells.

If you’re lucky you may find a random artifact which grants the Berserker Fiend’s Outrage ability, or its legendary material equivalent. This will let you double your Mortarman’s damage, as well as letting him heal for 10% of the damage he deals (to the primary target, IIRC.) Pump up enough attack on your Mortarman and he can probably 1-shot most enemy parties with his first turn under Realm 10 or so, even without being a nether.

If you’re even luckier you can get an artifact which grants you the Cloak and Dagger ability. Sticking this on the Sacrificer lets him turn invisible when defending, so the Stronghold wouldn’t even be necessary.

If you have the emblems to spare, switching over to Life Mage and putting one point in Holy Defiance will often times let your creatures survive one more hit. Yeah, Sorcery is kinda of a gimped choice in the early game (and in the late game as well).

The main problem with your composition is that you don’t have a lot punch (damage-wise) or disables. Mortar Kombat spreads damage pretty evenly across the enemy party, so most of them would still be alive for nearly the whole fight, giving them more chances to cast spells. Try to enchant your support creatures’ artifacts with hit-on debuffs to help disable the enemy party.

Buy a stack of dispels from Bynine. It costs 1 emblem for every 5 charges, and can remove all debuffs from a friendly creature. Casting it is a free action (strictly speaking, it uses up your current action, but gives you another one right after that, which is an important distinction if you have bleed/poison/infection or other DoT debuffs). Dispel your Stronghold if he gets hits with nasty debuffs.

1. Yeah, it’s really more challenging if you play with randomized creatures on your first playthrough, since the default progression eases you in from simpler abilities to more complex ones, as well as giving you a range of offensive/defensive/support abilities to choose from to make a viable team. More interesting, yes, and sometimes it can even be easier depending on the creatures unlocked. In your case you’re kinda lucky to get the stronghold, sacrificer, and mortarman early on.

Thanks for the answers. Seems like I don’t do anything terrible wrong but with these tips I might be able to go one step further.

The mummy isn’t in my game yet. closest I have is the Wyvern SonicScreecher but he both feel and looks kinda meh, so I’m taking the pain instead of him.

I’ve hovered over that change mage type token many times but stuborness have stoped me from doing it. Altough it feels like I will do myself a favor and change.

As you say, I lack some punch in my team. Pilwez aren’t realy delivering until the end of the real. I have had some candidates to change with, mainly arsonist troll or troll necksnapper, but the random/gain strenght on kills have so far made me stay with my Pilwez.

The team are pretty fast as most have some speed on their artifacts. A good turn the mortarmen kills two or three and severly hurt the others, other times he do a measly 150 damage to all. Still have a bit to go knowing what creatures have low defence and not.

Haven’t seen any of those legendary materials or items you are talking about yet, but just 10 minutes ago I found both a refraction material and Blood dance material.
Was thinking of making a Heavy shield for my Stronghold and replace my Witch doctor with either a Siren Ascendant for the healing, or an imperial angel for the stun.
Won’t help to much against the spells but as long as the Blood Dance/provoking stronghold combo are active, there’s a fair chance to get trough the battle.

Sad part is that it will be the third time making gems for that red nether orb I got for my missions, atleast they are still there if I want to try out a netherversion of the ones I didn’t pick :slight_smile:

Didn’t know the scoll was for sale. Have used a couple of mass dispell I’ve found in the wild. Usualy the poor gargoyle being on magic duty :slight_smile:

[quote=“Qwireca, post:4, topic:953”]Thanks for the answers. Seems like I don’t do anything terrible wrong but with these tips I might be able to go one step further.

The mummy isn’t in my game yet. closest I have is the Wyvern SonicScreecher but he both feel and looks kinda meh, so I’m taking the pain instead of him.

I’ve hovered over that change mage type token many times but stuborness have stoped me from doing it. Altough it feels like I will do myself a favor and change.

As you say, I lack some punch in my team. Pilwez aren’t realy delivering until the end of the real. I have had some candidates to change with, mainly arsonist troll or troll necksnapper, but the random/gain strenght on kills have so far made me stay with my Pilwez.

The team are pretty fast as most have some speed on their artifacts. A good turn the mortarmen kills two or three and severly hurt the others, other times he do a measly 150 damage to all. Still have a bit to go knowing what creatures have low defence and not.

Haven’t seen any of those legendary materials or items you are talking about yet, but just 10 minutes ago I found both a refraction material and Blood dance material.
Was thinking of making a Heavy shield for my Stronghold and replace my Witch doctor with either a Siren Ascendant for the healing, or an imperial angel for the stun.
Won’t help to much against the spells but as long as the Blood Dance/provoking stronghold combo are active, there’s a fair chance to get trough the battle.

Sad part is that it will be the third time making gems for that red nether orb I got for my missions, atleast they are still there if I want to try out a netherversion of the ones I didn’t pick :slight_smile:

Didn’t know the scoll was for sale. Have used a couple of mass dispell I’ve found in the wild. Usualy the poor gargoyle being on magic duty :)[/quote]

IIRC there’s quite a few chaos monsters with a lowered Death DEF (and your mortarman is death). This becomes negligible (or rather, all defenses are so high that you wouldn’t care, even if the Death DEF is lower) on higher realm levels, but can be pretty noticeable if you are using attack splashing/bouncing effects on lower levels.

The diabolic horde enemies are exceptions though, as well as the chaos monsters with ‘deathly’ effects (the smog line, necropolis, etc. Your nightwing also has respectable death def.)

From low-to-mid realm levels you can try to nuke your opponents’ DEF before you attack them, by using spells such as shellburst, righteous storm (for life and death DEF) and mass bloodlust (buffs everyone’s ATK by 50%, debuffs everyone’s DEF by 50%)

Pilwiz gets kinda underwhelming later on (losing out to Pit Worm Harbinger’s Intimidation, which is far superior). I would swap him out for something which boosts the mortarman’s attack instead (so he can 1-shot more enemies), or a more reliable single-target attacker.

The refract material would work great on a heavy shield for the stronghold. More AoE damage to help kill the monsters faster.

Generally, yeah, the most effective way to prevent enemy casts is to not let them take actions in the first place, whether by disabling them (stun/sleep/snare and maybe silence) or killing them outright. You can try to get the enchants which reduce spell damage, which are kinda effective at lower realm levels (but not so on higher ones, as enemy spellpower scales rapidly even after the nerf).

Life Mage has a perk which further reduces spell damage taken, which is kinda useful early-to-mid-game if you find damaging spells to be a problem. Later on the Death Mage’s equivalent (which negates spells outright) become better, as non-damaging spells can also screw you over.

If you’re still using abilities that require damage (which means a defense check) and cause splash, I’d recommend putting one of the +damage to (class) on your artifact and targeting that class. That can make a big difference in busting through defenses as you get lower.

Yeah, what Arqane says, too. Also, you can stack the +Damage to Sorc/Life/Death/etc (let’s just call it foo) enchant with HarmFoo inscriptions, for more damage.

IIRC there's quite a few chaos monsters with a lowered Death DEF (and your mortarman is death). This becomes negligible (or rather, all defenses are so high that you wouldn't care, even if the Death DEF is lower) on higher realm levels, but can be pretty noticeable if you are using attack splashing/bouncing effects on lower levels.

The diabolic horde enemies are exceptions though, as well as the chaos monsters with ‘deathly’ effects (the smog line, necropolis, etc. Your nightwing also has respectable death def.)

From low-to-mid realm levels you can try to nuke your opponents’ DEF before you attack them, by using spells such as shellburst, righteous storm (for life and death DEF) and mass bloodlust (buffs everyone’s ATK by 50%, debuffs everyone’s DEF by 50%)

Feels like 50% are the high def groups, actually more often than not have great success going for creatures of the sorceous realm. Don’t have to much spells yet that aren’t pure damaging spells that I feel lose value fast. Got some +20 def/-20% def enemies that have saved me more than once thou.

Pilwiz gets kinda underwhelming later on (losing out to Pit Worm Harbinger's Intimidation, which is far superior). I would swap him out for something which boosts the mortarman's attack instead (so he can 1-shot more enemies), or a more reliable single-target attacker.
I have been eyeing the Dark Brim smith (or something) that gives their artifact attack and luck to all in the same row. Also have brownie captain, but as he only are same column he seem weaker. I know I continued to use Pilwiz as a singel target finisher instead as it seemed like a better idea to have two attackers instead of boostin mortarmen. Might be worth testing a buffer thou, especially since the phoenix have darkmalady artifact that gives disease and infection (one of them based on luck if I remember correctly).
Life Mage has a perk which further reduces spell damage taken, which is kinda useful early-to-mid-game if you find damaging spells to be a problem. Later on the Death Mage's equivalent (which negates spells outright) become better, as non-damaging spells can also screw you over.
Actually happened more than once that my stronghold becomes stunned or snared, missing his turn and then helplessly see them pumling my poor witch doctor get pummeled.
If you're still using abilities that require damage (which means a defense check) and cause splash, I'd recommend putting one of the +damage to (class) on your artifact and targeting that class. That can make a big difference in busting through defenses as you get lower.
I found my first artifact with +realm damage today, didn't knew they existed. will try and get 3 materials to try it out.

All in all the success in this game (for going deep) seem to be hit 'em fast, hit 'em hard. Maybe I am doing myself a disfavor going a tank/damage reduction route when I could add more damage for oneshot clear the board. Will still try it out as I got the refract material and a blue orb that seem ok (27 gems/9 activations).

Thanks for all the help. It seem I have come to a breakpoint where I just miss some of the tools to get a working solution (mainly resources) and some farming will help me push forward (i.e. max out artifacts, get materials to enchant them with the right stats/skills). I should also try to boost my mortarmen some more and keep an eye out for an attacker that increase it’s attack % based, or have some kind of special to cut defence (actually have some cores of a enemy with 50% chance to ignore enemy defence)

Enemy Spell Power was reduced significantly with the latest patch. That should help you out a bit :slight_smile: