Ice Salamander Trait activates when a creature has already died.

I cast homing arrow on something. It dies. It casts a spell because of an ice salamander. The homing arrow triggers again because of multicast or such. The creature casts a spell again. This doesn’t feel consistent with how other traits interact creatures dying partway through a turn (e.g. you can’t leech off of damage done to a dead enemy, can you?).

Also, when I hit an entire enemy team for their health 15 times each, the ice salamander makes it hell.

[quote=“Lady Mercury, post:1, topic:4656”]I cast homing arrow on something. It dies. It casts a spell because of an ice salamander. The homing arrow triggers again because of multicast or such. The creature casts a spell again. This doesn’t feel consistent with how other traits interact creatures dying partway through a turn (e.g. you can’t leech off of damage done to a dead enemy, can you?).

Also, when I hit an entire enemy team for their health 15 times each, the ice salamander makes it hell.[/quote]
Multicast happens at the same time as the spell cast, so the Ice Salamander would indeed trigger twice if the damage were great enough for each cast.

The only time I know of that casting/attacking stops mid-way through is if all enemy or your own creatures die, in which case combat ends. But if a trait or spell would resurrect a creature, the triggers continue to occur. This happens to me all the time when I’m fighting phoenixes or wights or mites that resurrect. My spells/attacks keep happening (hitting nothing), and THEN the enemy creature resurrects.

Ice Salamanders are not to be trifled with. It’s even worse if an enemy creature has something like Glory or Verdant Spheres or Elemental Barrage equipped. I fought one equipped with Trap. Outright killed my creature when the enemy cast it!

[quote=“Psylisa, post:2, topic:4656”]Multicast happens at the same time as the spell cast, so the Ice Salamander would indeed trigger twice if the damage were great enough for each cast.

The only time I know of that casting/attacking stops mid-way through is if all enemy or your own creatures die, in which case combat ends. But if a trait or spell would resurrect a creature, the triggers continue to occur. This happens to me all the time when I’m fighting phoenixes or wights or mites that resurrect. My spells/attacks keep happening (hitting nothing), and THEN the enemy creature resurrects.

Ice Salamanders are not to be trifled with. It’s even worse if an enemy creature has something like Glory or Verdant Spheres or Elemental Barrage equipped. I fought one equipped with Trap. Outright killed my creature when the enemy cast it![/quote]

I know the attacks occurs, but the effects shouldn’t. By that logic, repears with multistrike should be able to activate their effects multiple times since, when they hit an enemy with 1% health, it’s alive when they ‘kill it’ multiple times.

A reaper doesn’t kill the creature multiple times, but it DOES attack it multiple times. That’s the difference.