Improve messaging in game

While I enjoy the game, one thing I find really annoying is the number of times in combat I have to keep hitting E to get through the message

A sample round of combat:

A hostile group of creatures led by a X appeared (e)
Your Pilwiz has devoured 3 objects… (E)

It is your A’s turn. Select an action (E to select attack)

select a target (E to select)

Your A attacks (e)
Your A did x damage to X (e)
Your A’s glaive bounced to the enemy Y dealing x damage and causing Bleed (e)
Your A’s glaive bounced to the enemy Z dealing x damage and causing Bleed (E)

Your B’s turn. (E to select attack)

Your B attacks (e)
Your B did x damage to X (e)
Enemy X has been killed (E)

Your C’s turn. (E to select attack)

Your C attacks (e)
Your C did x damage to Y (E)

Your D’s turn. (E to select attack)

Your D attacks (e)
Your D did x damage to Y (E)

The enemy Z attacks (e)
The enemy Z did x damage to your D (e)
The enemy Z took x damage from bleed (E)

The enemy Y attacks (e)
The enemy Y did x damage to your D (e)
The enemy Y took x damage from bleed (E)

Thus ends 1 round.

27 presses of E to continue - in a 4 vs 3 fight. If messages were grouped to actions (as I see it, the capital Es above would be the natural end spots of a group) this would drop to only 15 continues - almost half elminated.

And this is in a relatively simple battle. A more complex one (using the same number of creatures), with more effects going on can easily increase the number of continues by 100% in the current system, but with grouped messages, would not change the count at all…

You can hold it down, that way you only need to press it again whenever it is your turn do do anything ^^

If holding it is still too slow, disable SFX, which is the only thing it’ll pause for at that point. That will progress messages instantly.

The only problems with holding it down is:

1. I want to read the messages

2. I don’t always want to take the default action on the default target…

Actions arent made while you hold it down, it stops when it is your turn to make a choice ^^
Regarding the reading of the text, you could try turning the text down from instant speed, that way you could read it while holding the button pressed?

And then spend forever waiting for the text to be displayed…

I’d prefer that I didn’t have to do anything, just single key-press when I needed make a choice/finish reading all events.

Holding the key is actually a problem for me - I have an injury that makes continued pressing a challenge (and very painful) after a short time (legacy of an accident injury).

[quote=“rlnonay, post:4, topic:767”]The only problems with holding it down is:

1. I want to read the messages[/quote]

[quote=“rlnonay, post:6, topic:767”]And then spend forever waiting for the text to be displayed…

I’d prefer that I didn’t have to do anything, just single key-press when I needed make a choice/finish reading all events.[/quote]

Okay then, make spacebar your confirm and hold it with your elbow.

If possible you could have a different button to use for accepting, then have, as vagrant suggested, the spacebar as the one to hold in while scrolling battle text, that way you could put an empty glass (or something else) on top of it for auto-scrolling, then push e to make your choices (default keybindings stay active even if you change them ingame, so you get multiple buttons). Maybe it could help somewhat? :slight_smile:

Think of it this way.

You want to read a book online. But instead of displaying a page at a time, you only get 1 sentence, having to make an entry of some sort to see the second sentence, continuing for each subsequent sentence.

Would you really want to hold a button to make each page of text flash by as fast as it can, one sentence at a time? or would you rather see a page (or paragraph) at a time?

Personally, I prefer to see a page at a time… :slight_smile:

Where should the rest of the “book” be displayed? There isn’t much more room to display more than what is already shown.

I was thinking just expand the space as needed. Then when hitting the continue button, shrink it back down/hide it again…

I have a few suggestions here:

1. Display the most recent event “dealing damage, someone dies, something triggers etc” but do not require tapping the button to move to the next message, locking up the interface.
  2. Effects for things, like poison burn etc could be visually presented such that we don’t NEEd to have a message telling us we just poisoned something, since its visibly poisoned. We also don’t need a message indicating that something died, since its clearly dead.
  3. Floating damage numbers above monsters as they take damage.
  4. combat log that is viewable in the combat menu in case the player misses something and needs to check ‘wtf’

[quote=“winsomniak, post:12, topic:767”]I have a few suggestions here:

1. Display the most recent event “dealing damage, someone dies, something triggers etc” but do not require tapping the button to move to the next message, locking up the interface.
  2. Effects for things, like poison burn etc could be visually presented such that we don’t NEEd to have a message telling us we just poisoned something, since its visibly poisoned. We also don’t need a message indicating that something died, since its clearly dead.
  3. Floating damage numbers above monsters as they take damage.
  4. combat log that is viewable in the combat menu in case the player misses something and needs to check ‘wtf’[/quote]

These are great suggestions and I for one would love them. Especially the 3rd and 4th one. Sometimes I’m holding the button down and miss something and I would love to have a log to review.

One minor suggestion I had…perhaps have Multiattack messages be compressed like the minion ones were? “X did Y extra attacks for Z total damage” kind of thing.

I haven’t tried the new version yet, but I was looking on google play and saw the following in the description:

“Fight in challenging battles that reward thoughtful strategy rather than mindless button mashing”

The present (pre 2.0.19) combat messaging definitely does not follow this - it is a lot of mindless button mashing to get through the messages…

Hopefully the new version is better at it. :smiley:

That doesn’t have anything to do with the combat structure itself.

The new Turbo Mode is to help people farm low realm levels where they don’t need to think about which enemy to attack. If you’re looking for a challenge that requires strategy, you can go into a higher realm level for that and button mashing won’t work.

Sorry to say, but I see the having to hit the same button over and over with no decision required as button mashing - and this is exactly what is required by the current combat messaging system.

Only one or two presses out of 5 are meaningful. The rest are just to scroll through numerous messages.

Version 2.0.19 has not fixed this. You still need to push the button once for each message. So in the example round I entered above, you still need to push it 27 times while even minimal message grouping or progression as suggested by winsomniak would eliminate half of those (or more).

Just for reference, in the sample I put up, 27 presses are required, and only 8 of them are actual decision points (what to do, and selecting the target). That is only 27% of presses are meaningful… the rest are button mashing IMO.

You drastically underestimate the coding revision required to do this, I think.

[quote=“rlnonay, post:17, topic:767”]Sorry to say, but I see the having to hit the same button over and over with no decision required as button mashing - and this is exactly what is required by the current combat messaging system.

Only one or two presses out of 5 are meaningful. The rest are just to scroll through numerous messages.

Version 2.0.19 has not fixed this. You still need to push the button once for each message. So in the example round I entered above, you still need to push it 27 times while even minimal message grouping or progression as suggested by winsomniak would eliminate half of those (or more).

Just for reference, in the sample I put up, 27 presses are required, and only 8 of them are actual decision points (what to do, and selecting the target). That is only 27% of presses are meaningful… the rest are button mashing IMO.[/quote]

I think several people have already mentioned this, but you do not have to tap the button each time. Hold it down.

I didn’t say it would be easy.

But I can see that turbo mode is at least a step in the right direction. Sort of a precursor step required before messages can be merged. I realized that both animations and sound effects had to be changed to allow any kind of merge. And this is now done in the turbo mode. Next step is to bundle messages into groups :slight_smile:

And as for holding the button down, the messages go by too fast to read with no way to scroll back to catch anything important…