Is the third boss too easy?

This was my recent experience with the third boss.

Started with a team of five level 1, 0 gene strength creatures. Artifacts were level 5 class shields with a mix of attack, speed and intelligence, so nothing really good. No perks but Hybridization and Adaptation, which don’t add damage.

Went from realm level 1 to realm level 11 killing everything, my creatures were all level 15 when I arrived at the boss room.

Twisted Devil went first, he critted one of the 3 bosses and killed it in one hit. The other 2 died to two consecutive spells. Their attacks did about 5 damage to me. Hybridization does add 50% defense, but Devils have really bad base Def and their artifacts didn’t have any Defense on them.

I think even if there had been 6 instead of 3 I would have easily won.

Personally I believe that the Phobos fight is fairly well balanced and manages to teach the player what it wants to do: Focus targets down. Sure, it’s not difficult, but it’s only the third boss and the difficulty does increase by a considerable amount after her. Damn you, Mercy and Judgement, damn you!

A boss that I would really consider redoing, would be the Scylla and Charydis fight. I just don’t see what’s scary about it or what makes it any different than any other fight in the game. The lesson is, obviously, to use AoE’s so you don’t have to deal with a super monster. But the thread that the two of them pose is little to none - even after one of them dies.

What I’d like to see instead would be a fight with 6 boss monsters, rather than two. Kill Boss A and Boss B gets a boost, kill Boss B and Boss C gets a boost, etc etc. This way the player would either have to really, really, really think about how to prioritize their targeting or be forced to use AoE attacks. Same lesson but taught much more efficiently.

I found the fourth boss extremely easy as well.

My Wolpertinger has held up well so far. I had to re-try some of the early bosses, but as just a single creature that’s to be expected.
Once I gained some traits like Multistrike, Wolper has been a powerhouse.
Flubris wasn’t much of a challenge and died almost instantly. Attack the adds, and poof, lots of spells flying everywhere.

The fight with the Phobos was cake. All 3 attacked before my Wolper prompting him to retaliate with spells (x3!).
Caught a Spell Breath, Chain Lightning, Water Enhantment, and Spellflow on the attacks.
I attack, and all 3 retaliate - which spells their doom, since Wolper hits back on each attack with 3x spell casts.

That isn’t to say I don’t die - Wolper does bite it from time to time. Mainly it’s due to odd damage sources, enemy setups, or the debuffs that manage to pass through Lone Wolf. I still have to be mindful of my stats (especially Defense), and there is some luck involved with the random spells it casts.
Murder of Crows and similar spells also are kind of wonky with a single creature.

Scylla and Charybdis were complete pushovers.

Perhaps every boss should receive an upgrade.

We do need to keep in mind that most of us have already gotten a lot of play experience now. These bosses are probably still pretty hard for new players - maybe small health buffs.

The first 40 realms are more like an extended tutorial, and early on you’ll need to change your team to fight some bosses if you don’t know the more broken setups - so having players need to grind more when they don’t have a lot to access may get messy.

I’m using 5 creatures, their artifacts are terribly unoptimized and I haven’t overleveled (something that new players are more likely to do) and I still pretty much killed the seventh boss’s 6 creatures in one Aoe spell that I randomly found.

The eight boss, The Unguided, also died to a couple of spells.

I’m probably a “average” player despite having played the first game…

I found the worm guy who heals every turn to be quite hard. He wasn’t killing me, but I couldn’t get through his heal for a long time. I ended up having to replay the early levels many times in order to find the right creatures and artifacts in order to defeat him… The next couple weren’t too bad, but now I’m stuck on the pirate guy (immune to damage). I’m assuming I need to apply some sort of AOE on him, so I’m working up to that. I was able to kill his team first try, but no luck on even kind of hurting him.

So yeah I think the difficulty is pretty good as a whole. Some good curve balls and things to think through.

[quote=“Nori, post:9, topic:2318”]I’m probably a “average” player despite having played the first game…

I found the worm guy who heals every turn to be quite hard. He wasn’t killing me, but I couldn’t get through his heal for a long time. I ended up having to replay the early levels many times in order to find the right creatures and artifacts in order to defeat him… The next couple weren’t too bad, but now I’m stuck on the pirate guy (immune to damage). I’m assuming I need to apply some sort of AOE on him, so I’m working up to that. I was able to kill his team first try, but no luck on even kind of hurting him.

So yeah I think the difficulty is pretty good as a whole. Some good curve balls and things to think through.[/quote]

The first boss really only requires a full party with decent damage. I tried to kill him with only two monsters once and he outlasted me lol. The attack/spell immune guy is easy. Bleed/burn/poison hurt him normally, as do traits like live to labor. This game is very lawyer-esque in its language. Look for loopholes.