Monsterology 101: Raiko's Monster Ideas

Hello, and welcome.

I’ve decided to split up and delete the clunky, huge thread I ran prior, with threads dedicated to the monsters and the Unaligned Realms. This thread is about the former.

As most of you probably already know, I love making up monsters. It’s my skill, and coming up with traits for them is also a thing I enjoy. However, as I DO do this for someone else…namely, for Zack, should he choose to accept it…I do keep a disclaimer: anything seen in this thread may change, on the off-chance that he goes for it.

I’ve also decided to do a bit of sorting. First, monsters based on Retro sprites, belonging to those monsters whose design changed radically during the shift from Siralim 1 to Siralim 2. After that are my own works, be it imports from an old database I have, or just spur-of-the-moment stuff.

I’ll also be keeping a count of how many monsters there are in this thread.

Without further ado, let’s begin.

Starting with the first of the retro stuff…the Songstress, based on the Retro Banshee, they gain extra benefits when they cast things. They used to look like this:

This is the one that started it all, spawned from a discussion I had with forums poster and Discord member Umaro, back when Siralim 3 was still gearing up for release. We discussed the retro sprites, and how some might be cool as a basis for entirely new monsters. In other words, big credit to Umaro for helping me kickstart all this!

Monster Class: Songstress
Element: Sorcery(could also be Death)
Role: Supporting Caster(good INT and Mana, okay SPD, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Forlorn Songstress
Trait: Song of Tragedy(Morose Music Box)
Effect: When this monster casts a spell, one of the party’s debuffs is given to every enemy affected by the spell, with priority given to a debuff multiple allies suffer from.

Added Monster: Chained Songstress
Trait: Song of Bondage(Yearning Music Box)
Effect: When this monster casts a spell, it inflicts the targets of said spell with Snare, Stun or Frozen.

Added Monster: Reverent Songstress
Trait: Song of Worship(Awestruck Music Box)
Effect: When this monster casts a spell, one of the target’s buffs is given to the party. If that spell hits multiple targets, priority is given to buffs shared by more then one enemy.

Added Monster: Fomenting Songstress
Trait: Song of Conflict(Driven Music Box)
Effect: When this monster casts a spell, the targeted enemy takes 40% more damage from the next attack or spell it takes.

Added Monster: Delirious Songstress
Trait: Song of Madness(Discordant Music Box)
Effect: When this monster casts a spell, it inflicts the target with Confuse and Vulnerable.

Added Monster: Rapturous Songstress
Trait: Song of Euphoria(Off-key Music Box)
Effect: When this monster casts a spell, the entire party, minus this monster, is healed for the amount of damage this spell inflicts. If the spell hit multple enemies, they are healed only for the first enemy it affects.

Itherian Monster: Songstress Sovereign
Trait: Song of Domination(Itherian Music Box)
Effect: When this monster casts a spell on its allies, it may on occasion cast Fury Swipes on that ally after the initial spell is cast, at no extra cost.

Disclaimer: Values shown may change at the devs’ discretion. Also, I’d love to be involved in the design if this goes through.

(Total Monster Count: 7)

1 Like

…then the Retro Wyvern-inspired Drakes, physical-fighting beatsticks whose attacks do special things when they defeat an enemy. They used to look like this:

Another one I discussed with Umaro. And honestly, dragons like this would be really cool…just with shorter legs and longer necks, to better evoke the image of the classical European dragon, as opposed to the easten Dragons and Wyverns we already have.

Monster Class: Drake
Element: Chaos
Role: Mainline DPS(good HP and ATK, okay DEF and SPD, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Thuggish Drake
Trait: Dispersion Breath(Slick Residue)
Effect: If the user kills the target, the monsters next to the target take 100% of the damage the target took.

Added Monster: Furious Drake
Trait: Spray Breath(Bubbling Residue)
Effect: If the user kills the target, the monsters next to the target lose all of their buffs.

Added Monster: Lugubrious Drake
Trait: Sticky Breath(Greasy Residue)
Effect: If the user kills the target, the monsters adjacent to the target gain copies of the target’s debuffs.

Added Monster: Monstrous Drake
Trait: Expansive Breath(Combusting Residue)
Effect: If the user kills the target, the entire enemy party takes 20% of the damage the target took.

Added Monster: Spiteful Drake
Trait: Oppressive Breath(Shimmering Residue)
Effect: If the user kills the target, other enemies with the same species as the target take 100% of the damage the target took.

Added Monster: Loathsome Drake
Trait: Balefire Breath(Thick Residue)
Effect: If the user kills the target, other enemies with the same Type as the target take 100% of the damage the target took.

Itherian Monster: Mischievous Drake
Trait: Reckless Breath(Itherian Residue)
Effect: If the user kills the target, random members of the enemy party take 100% of the damage the target took.

Special Monster: Authorative Drake
Trait: Deep Breathing(Flaky Residue)
Effect: If the user kills the target, every stat-boost said enemy received before it died is given to every Drake in the party.

Disclaimer: Values shown may change at the devs’ discretion. Also, I’d love to be involved in the design if this goes through.

(Total Monster Count: 15)

1 Like

And the Retro Spirit-inspired Wildvanes, who trigger various supportive effects when they Defend. They used to look like this:

That’s quite the departure from what Spirits look like now. And because I figured they looked kind of like flagpoles with flags, that’s the thing I emphasized for the Wildvanes I based on them.

Monster Class: Wildvane
Element: Life
Role: Supporting Tank(good HP and DEF, okay Mana, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Relief Banner
Trait: Standard of Comfort(Silky Fabric)
Effect: When this creature Defends, one random debuff is removed from your party.

Added Monster: National Flag
Trait: Standard of Pride(Tough Fabric)
Effect: When this creature Defends, the party takes reduced damage as if they were all Defending.

Added Monster: Profaned Scroll
Trait: Standard of Wrath(Stained Fabric)
Effect: When this creature is attacked while Defending, a random creature in your party delivers a counterattack at 70% damage.

Added Monster: Tattered Scrap
Trait: Standard of Pity(Torn Fabric)
Effect: When this creature Defends, other creatures in your party heal 20% of their HP at the end of their turn.

Added Monster: Patchwork Cloth
Trait: Standard of Tricks(Stitched Fabric)
Effect: When this creature Defends, a random ally casts one of their spells, using this creature’s Mana to pay the cost.

Added Monster: Sacrificial Rag
Trait: Standard of Mercy(Bloody Fabric)
Effect: If a monster in your party dies while this creature Defends, the monster in question is resurrected with full health and mana, but this monster dies in exchange.

Itherian Monster: False Flag
Trait: Standard of Deceit(Itherian Fabric)
Effect: If this creature is attacked while Defending, there’s a 50% chance of another random enemy taking the hit instead.

(Total Monster Count: 22)

The Retro Aspect-inspired Goliaths too. These are Nature-element brawlers who gain a stacking buff when they’re attacked…the more they’re attacked, the higher the buff builds up. They used to look like this:

While the new Aspects actually do look interresting, the old Aspects are cool too. Never a bad time for gorillas, right? Hence, I used them to craft the Goliaths, so it can once again be on like Donkey Kong.

Monster Class: Goliath
Element: Nature
Role: Supporting DPS(good ATK and DEF, okay HP, decent-ish everything else)

Base Monster: Burly Goliath
Trait: Sandpaper Skin(Prime Banana)
Effect: This monster returns part of the damage it takes every time this monster is attacked, starting at 35% damage and building up to 100%.

Added Monster: Rugged Goliath
Trait: Brutal Cunning(Golden Banana)
Effect: Gains a stacking crit bonus every time this monster is attacked, starting at 35% and building up to 100%.

Added Monster: Agile Goliath
Trait: Read The Moves(Unripe Banana)
Effect: Gains a stacking SPD bonus every time this monster is attacked, starting at 35% and building up to 100%.

Added Monster: Stoic Goliath
Trait: Rock Solid(Armored Banana)
Effect: Gains a stacking DEF bonus every time this monster is attacked, starting at 35% and building up to 100%.

Added Monster: Sagely Goliath
Trait: Master’s Wisdom(Overripe Banana)
Effect: Gains a stacking INT bonus every time this monster is attacked, starting at 35% and building up to 100%.

Added Monster: Macho Goliath
Trait: Hyper Muscle(Speckled Banana)
Effect: Gains a stacking ATK bonus every time this monster is attacked, starting at 35% and building up to 100%.

Itherian Monster: Surreal Goliath
Trait: Complex Feelings(Itherian Banana)
Effect: The rest of the party gains a stacking buff to a random stat when this monster is attacked, starting at 35% and building up to 100%.

(Total Monster Count: 29)

1 Like

Next on the list are the Retro Amaranth-inspored Elementals, based on elements from the the Periodic Table, who cast a lot harder at two diffrent elements. They used to look like this:

This one was a stroke of random luck. I loved the classical Amaranth look, they look so shiny and metallic. But I didn’t know how to really make them work for a time…until I remembered the Periodic Table of elements, to do something diffrent from the usual kinds of Elementals while still using the name!

Monster Class: Elemental
Role: Tank Caster(good DEF, INT and Mana, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Germanium Elemental
Trait: Illuminatus(Germanium Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Death-element and Chaos-element monsters.

Added Monster: Chromium Elemental
Trait: Mirror Finish(Chromium Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Chaos-element and Sorcery-element monsters.

Added Monster: Silicon Elemental
Trait: Earthshaper(Silicon Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Sorcery-element and Nature-element monsters.

Added Monster: Arsenic Elemental
Trait: Debilitation(Arsenic Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Nature-element and Life-element monsters.

Added Monster: Radium Elemental
Trait: Irradiated Aura(Radium Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Life-element and Death-element monsters.

Added Monster: Lithium Elemental
Trait: Beating The Heat(Lithium Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Chaos-element and Nature-element monsters.

Added Monster: Sodium Elemental
Trait: Rock Salt(Sodium Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Nature-element and Death-element monsters.

Added Monster: Potassium Elemental
Trait: Nervous Systems(Potassium Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Death-element and Sorcery-element monsters.

Added Monster: Hafnium Elemental
Trait: Contain And Control(Hafnium Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Sorcery-element and Life-element monsters.

Added Monster: Calcium Elemental
Trait: Stronger Than You(Calcium Solution)
Effect: When casting spells, this monster deals 200% damage to Life-element and Chaos-element monsters.

Added Monster: Titanium Elemental
Trait: Supertough Alloy(Titanium Solution)
Effect: Ally Elementals gain 100% more DEF, and their spells deal 50% more damage to the relevant enemy types.

Itherian Monster: Itherium Elemental
Trait: Element Of Surprise(Itherian Solution)
Effect: Ally Elementals gain 100% more INT, and their spells deal 50% more damage to the relevant enemy types.

(Total Monster Count: 41)

Next up are the Retro Occultist-inspired Grievers, who make effects happen for the party when they take damage. They used to look like this:

The Retro occultists look quite striking. Kind of semi-organic and perhaps a little bit melty, and those long arms make them look quite striking, too. So I figured, why not adopt the look for the Grievers?

Monster Class: Griever
Role: Durable Caster(good INT and HP, okay SPD and ATK, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Lamenting Griever
Trait: Heartful Protection(Warm Handkerchief)
Effect: When this monster takes damage, the entire party except for this monster gains a barrier whose strength is twice the damage this monster took.

Added Monster: Heartbroken Griever
Trait: Filling The Void(Cold Handkerchief)
Effect: When this monster takes damage, the entire party except this monster gets one random debuff removed, with priority given to debuffs sufefred by more then one monster.

Added Monster: Innocent Griever
Trait: Beautiful Tragedy(Cutesy Handkerchief)
Effect: When this monster takes damage, the entire party except for this monster is healed for 25% of their Max HP.

Added Monster: Insincere Griever
Trait: Crocodile Tears(Dry Handkerchief)
Effect: When this monster takes damage, the entire party except this monster gains the ability to, for one turn, inflict one of this monster’s debuffs with their normal attacks. It also starts battle with a random debuff whose effect it ignores.

Added Monster: Pitiful Griever
Trait: Downtrodden(Torn Handkerchief)
Effect: When this monster takes damage, the entire party except this monster gains a copy of one of this monster’s buffs.

Added Monster: Hopeful Griever
Trait: To Spring Anew(Rumpled Handkerchief)
Effect: When this monster takes damage, the entire party except for this monster gets their Mana restored to full and, for their next turn, cast at 50% extra power.

Itherian Monster: Tumultuous Griever
Trait: Berserker Tears(Itherian Handkerchief)
Effect: When this monster takes damage, the entire party, this monster included, gain 75% ATK or INT, whichever is higher for them, and Berserk.

(Total Monster Count: 48)

Then, introducing the Carven, tough chessmen, slightly based on Retro Angels, who get even tougher when in large groups, as they’re a pack-type monster! They used to look like this:

I’ve been tinkering with the idea of monsters based on chess-men, but I had trouble visualizing them…and then the Retro Angel shows up. It actively looks like something one would move around on a chess board. So I went with that as my basis.

Monster Class: Carven
Role: Tank(good DEF and HP, okay ATK, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Carven Pawn
Trait: Strength In Numbers(Stone Pawn)
Effect: Your Carven traits act as if your party contains three more Carven.

Added Monster: Carven Rook
Trait: Fortified(Stone Rook)
Effect: Your Carven have 10% more DEF for each Carven fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Carven Bishop
Trait: Ministration(Stone Bishop)
Effect: Your Carven recover 5% of their Max HP for each Carven fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Carven Knight
Trait: I’ve Got The Moves!(Stone Knight)
Effect: Your Carven have a 5% dodge chance for each Carven fighting on your side.

Added Monster: Carven Queen
Trait: Queenly Conduct(Stone Queen)
Effect: When one of your Carven takes damage, it divides said damage up by however many Carven are in your party, and then spreads it around accordingly. This does not apply to attacks or spells that target multiple opponents naturally.

Added Monster: Carven King
Trait: High Priority(Stone King)
Effect: Your Carven always take reduced damage, as if their class resists the enemy’s type, regardless of type match-ups.

Itherian Monster: Carven Checker
Trait: Flip The Board(Stone Itherian)
Effect: Your Carven always have one of the following buffs for each Carven fighting on your side: Protect, Ward, Grace, Shell, Mend, Critical. Buffs are prioritized in that order.

(Total Monster Count: 55)

Next on the list are the Slarms, Retro Pit Worm-esque monsters who evoke leeches and lampreys, whose gimmicks involve benefits when they have Leech, attack an enemy with Bleed, or if both happen at once! They used to look like this:

As it happens, I’d been thinking on a Pit Worm-esque monster that’s more lamprey-like for a while, and the Retro Pit Worm looking less…well, ‘sandworm’ and more ‘glossy, smooth worm’ made things fit just right. The mouth-in-mouth works just fine too, like a moray!

Monster Class: Slarm
Role: Durable DPS(good HP and ATK, okay SPD, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Glistening Slarm
Trait: Unearthly Focus(Disturbing Maw)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy while having Leech, or if the attacked enemy has Bleed, that enemy cannot dodge the attack, no matter what. When both criteria are met, the attack will also be Critical.

Added Monster: Bloated Slarm
Trait: Corpse Eater(Unsettling Maw)
Effect: When this monster has Leech and/or attacks an enemy with Bleed, it regains 100% more HP, up to 200% more HP if both criteria are met.

Added Monster: Writhing Slarm
Trait: Sudden Strikes(Creepy Maw)
Effect: When this monster has Leech and/or attacks an enemy with Bleed, this monster will steal one or two buffs from the attacked enemy, depending on which criteria are met.

Added Monster: Pestilent Slarm
Trait: Disease Vector(Disgusting Maw)
Effect: When this monster has Leech and/or attacks an enemy with Bleed, this monster gives one of its debuffs to the enemy, up to two debuffs if both criteria are met.

Added Monster: Bigtongue Slarm
Trait: A Big Sloppy Kiss(Tongue-equipped Maw)
Effect: When this monster has Leech and/or attacks an enemy with Bleed, it also steals 5% of their stats, going up to 10% if both criteria are met.

Added Monster: Abhorrent Slarm
Trait: Crippling Terror(Nightmarish Maw)
Effect: When this monster has Leech and/or attacks an enemy with Bleed, the enemy’s ATK and DEF are reduced by 10%, up to 20% if both criteria are met.

Itherian Monster: Medicinal Slarm
Trait: Blood Transfusion(Itherian Maw)
Effect: When this monster has Leech and/or attacks an enemy with Bleed, the monsters adjacent to it are healed for 50% of the health this monster gains on hit, up to 100% of said health if both criteria are met.

(Total Monster Count: 62)

1 Like

Hey, here’s another cool thing, based on the Retro Giant: the Colossi, enormous monsters, and likely another god’s entry in the ‘largest monster’ pissing contest, whose traits play to their bigness. They’re super-tough and super-slow, but their speed doesn’t matter when it comes to hitting. These ones’ traits, and the traits of all the monsters below, were made possible through extensive brainstorming with Skype buddy and Discord poster Dianne. They used to look like this:

Look at the sheer SIZE of these things. Far beyond giant, they’re downright colossal! Hence the name Colossi, the next step up from Giants.

Monster Class: Colossus
Role: Stone Wall DPS(great DEF and HP, good ATK, meh everything else)

Base Monster: Mountainous Colossus
Trait: Titanic Smash(Earthy World Essence)
Effect: This monster’s attacks never miss and cannot be dodged. In addition, if the attack is Critical, the target and the monsters adjacent to it get Stun.

Added Monster: Rainforest Colossus
Trait: Reforestation(Natural World Essence)
Effect: This monster’s attacks never miss and cannot be dodged. In addition, if the attack is Critical, this monster gets Mend.

Added Monster: Arctic Colossus
Trait: Rumbling Avalanche(Frozen World Essence)
Effect: This monster’s attacks never miss and cannot be dodged. In addition, if the attack is Critical, the target and the monsters adjacent to the target get Frozen.

Added Monster: Oceanic Colossus
Trait: Rippling Great Current(Tidal World Essence)
Effect: This monster’s attacks never miss and cannot be dodged. In addition, if this monster has Splash, it hits monsters adjacent to its target for full damage too.

Added Monster: Thunderous Colossus
Trait: Lightning Convergence(Cloudy World Essence)
Effect: This monster’s attacks never miss and cannot be dodged. In addition, if the attack is Critical, the target and the monsters adjacent to it get Shock.

Added Monster: Volcanic Colossus
Trait: Hammer of Pompeii(Smoldering World Essence)
Effect: This monster’s attacks never miss and cannot be dodged. In addition, if the attack is Critical, the target and the monsters adjacent to the target get Burn.

Added Monster: Enlightened Colossus
Trait: Aethyrical Flow(Magical World Essence)
Effect: This monster’s attacks never miss and cannot be dodged. In addition, if the attack is Critical, this monster gets Arcane.

Itherian Monster: Worldbearer Colossus
Trait: The Weight of Consequence(Itherian World Essence)
Effect: This monster’s attacks never miss and cannot be dodged. In addition, if the attack kills the target, the monsters adjacent to it have a 30% chance to also die.

(Total Monster Count: 69)

1 Like

Starting with these guys: the Obakenin, glass cannons somewhat based on the Retro Smiths whose gimmick involves putting Invisible on themselves, and gaining benefits when attacking when they have it! Credit to forums poster and Skype buddy Dianne for suggesting the Special Monster. Anyway, the monsters I based them on used to look like this:

Quite the departure from the snakes we know, with the only similarity being the axes. But frankly, I kind of like the look…cutesy ninja monsters. So I figured I’d base something on it, with their names being the Japanese translation of the weapons they wield, and their trait names, if possible, being alternate readings of the same word.

Monster Class: Obakenin
Element: Death
Role: Glass Cannon DPS(good ATK and SPD, okay INT and Mana, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Makiwari Obakenin
Trait: Woodland Assassin(Dirty Jutsu Scroll)
Effect: This monster starts with Invisible. When it attacks while having Invisible, it does 50% more damage and inflicts the target with Blight. If it defends while not having Invisible, it gains Invisible for two turns.

Added Monster: Kusari Obakenin
Trait: Corrupted Bindings(Cursed Jutsu Scroll)
Effect: This monster starts with Invisible. When it attacks while having Invisible, it does 50% more damage and inflicts the target with Snare. If it defends while not having Invisible, it gains Invisible for two turns.

Added Monster: Touka Obakenin
Trait: Blazing Peach Blossoms(Stained Jutsu Scroll)
Effect: This monster starts with Invisible. When it attacks while having Invisible, it does 50% more damage and inflicts the target with Burn. If it defends while not having Invisible, it gains Invisible for two turns.

Added Monster: Kaiken Obakenin
Trait: Change of Constitution(Tainted Jutsu Scroll)
Effect: This monster starts with Invisible. When it attacks while having Invisible, it does 50% more damage and inflicts the target with Bleed. If it defends while not having Invisible, it gains Invisible for two turns.

Added Monster: Iyaku Obakenin
Trait: Breaking the Contract(Ripped Jutsu Scroll)
Effect: This monster starts with Invisible. When it attacks while having Invisible, it does 50% more damage and inflicts the target with one of its own debuffs. Said debuff is then removed from this monster. If it defends while not having Invisible, it gains Invisible for two turns.

Added Monster: Fukumen Obakenin
Trait: Veils and Disguises(Defaced Jutsu Scroll)
Effect: This monster starts with Invisible. When it attacks while having Invisible, it does 50% more damage and inflicts the target with Scorn or Silence, depending on if their ATK or their INT is greater. If it defends while not having Invisible, it gains Invisible for two turns.

Itherian Monster: Kiji Obakenin
Trait: The Truth of Oneself(Itherian Jutsu Scroll)
Effect: This monster starts with Invisible. When it attacks while having Invisible, it does 50% more damage and inflicts the target with Weak and Vulnerable. If it defends while not having Invisible, it gains Invisible for two turns.

Special Monster: Shuriken Obakenin
Trait: Flying Shadow(Hand-penned Jutsu Scroll)
Effect: This monster starts with Invisible. The creature always crits when it is Invisible. It gains Invisible when it gets a crit. If it defends while not having Invisible, it gains Invisible for two turns.

(Total Monster Count: 77)

And another one. Introducing the Blockers, Retro Golem-inspired stone heads that provide benefits for the team when they Defend…and punishments for those who attack them while they Defend! They used to look like this:

A plain diffrence from the Golems we know, with only the artificiality and the facial hair being the same. But the look is very distinctive, so I figured I’d try something with it.

Monster Class: Blocker
Role: Tank(good HP and DEF, okay SPD, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Waypoint Blocker
Trait: Thoroughfare(Signpost Model)
Effect: When this monster Defends, every other monster has their HP restored by 10% of their max HP, and gets moved up a spot on the action queue. If an enemy attacks it while it Defends, their next turn will be bumped down a spot on the action queue.

Added Monster: Garden Blocker
Trait: Garden Variety(Garden Model)
Effect: When this monster Defends, every other monster has their HP restored by 10% of their max HP, and they gain one of this monster’s buffs. If an enemy attacks it while it Defends, that enemy loses any buffs it shares with this monster.

Added Monster: Fountain Blocker
Trait: Water of Vigor(Fountain Model)
Effect: When this monster Defends, every other monster has their HP restored by 10% of their max HP, and they gain a 10% SPD boost. If an enemy attacks it while it Defends, that enemy incurs a 10% SPD penalty.

Added Monster: Shrine Blocker
Trait: Stillness(Shrine Model)
Effect: When this monster Defends, every other monster has their HP restored by 10% of their max HP, and they gain a 10% DEF boost. If an enemy attacks it while it Defends, that enemy incurs a 10% DEF penalty.

Added Monster: Grave Blocker
Trait: Grave Guardian(Grave Model)
Effect: When this monster Defends, every other monster has their HP restored by 10% of their max HP, and they gain a 10% ATK boost. If an enemy attacks it while it Defends, that enemy incurs a 10% ATK penalty.

Added Monster: Temple Blocker
Trait: Merciful Respite(Temple Model)
Effect: When this monster Defends, every other monster has their HP restored by 10% of their max HP, and, if any monsters are dead, they will be revived on this monster’s next turn, with this monster dying instead. If an enemy attacks it while it Defends, that enemy loses HP equal to 75% of its current HP, and a dead ally monster is revived in its place.

Itherian Monster: Moai Blocker
Trait: Easter Knowledge(Itherian Model)
Effect: When this monster Defends, every other monster has their HP restored by 10% of their max HP, and they gain a 10% INT boost. If an enemy attacks it while it Defends, that enemy incurs a 10% INT penalty.

Itherian Monster: Olmec Blocker
Trait: Sacrifice Your Strength(Itherian Rag)
Effect: When this monster Defends, every other monster has their HP restored by 10% of their max HP, and they lose one of their debuffs. If an enemy attacks it while it Defends, that enemy gains Stun and one other random debuff.

(Total Monster Count: 85)

And here’s some more monsters: the Rotguts, Retro Smog-inspired bags of flesh who gain benefits when their target has Poison, Blight or both! Big thanks to Skype buddy and Discord poster Dianne for helping me figure out what to do with these, because they used to look like this:

Similar to the Smogs we know, but rather more fleshy and quite a bit more disgusting-looking, so I opted to play up that disgusting-ness.

Monster Class: Rotgut
Role: Tank(good HP and Mana, okay DEF, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Filthy Rotgut
Trait: Malodorous(Rotting Offal)
Effect: So long as this monster lives, any monster with Poison or Blight that tries to attack has a 10% chance of their attack fizzling out. 20% if both conditions are met.

Added Monster: Malignant Rotgut
Trait: Horrid Chimney(Stinking Offal)
Effect: So long as this monster lives, enemies with Poison or Blight take 10% more damage from all sources(including said debuffs). 20% if both conditions are met.

Added Monster: Bloated Rotgut
Trait: Excretion(Foul Offal)
Effect: When this monster is attacked by an enemy that has Poison or Blight, that monster loses 10% ATK and DEF. 20% if both conditions are met.

Added Monster: Suffering Rotgut
Trait: Unwholesome Toughness(Really Nasty Offal)
Effect: When this monster is attacked by an enemy that has Poison or Blight, this monster takes 15% less damage. 30% if both conditions are met.

Added Monster: Hazy Rotgut
Trait: Horrible Haze(Steaming Offal)
Effect: When this monster is attacked by an enemy that has Poison or Blight, that enemy has a 50% chance to miss this monster. If both conditions are met, the enemy in question can’t hit this monster at all.

Added Monster: Fuming Rotgut
Trait: Clear Your Lungs(Disgusting Offal)
Effect: So long as this monster lives, enemies with Poison or Blight are bumped down one turn on the action queue after they take an action. Two if both conditions are met.

Itherian Monster: Glowing Rotgut
Trait: Biohazard(Itherian Offal)
Effect: So long as this monster lives, any enemy with Poison or Blight has a 20% chance to immediately die at the start of its turn, up to 40% of both conditions are met.

Special Monster: Distilling Rotgut
Trait: Trouble’s Brewing(Booze-soaked Offal)
Effect: So long as this monster lives, any monster with Poison or Blight gains three Drunk stacks per turn, six if both conditions are met, and anything with Drunk stacks gains Poison and Blight.

(Total Monster Count: 93)

Next up, introducing the Ogres, based on Retro Doomguards, and big, heroically-minded bruisers who have Artifact-based traits…except, instead of doing it like the Smiths do, they straight-up make the artifacts they use better, as befitting a hero, making them excellent point-men! They used to look like this:

As you can see, they’re VERY diffrent from the Doomguards we know. Fleshy instead of armored, and wielding a sword instead of a shield. So I figured I’d…you know, do something properly ogre-like with this one.

Monster Class: Ogre
Element: Chaos
Role: Durable DPS(good ATK and DEF, okay HP, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Ogre Swordsman
Trait: Legend In The Making(Treasured Weapon)
Effect: This monster’s Artifact-granted stat-bonuses are improved by 30%, or by 40% if the artifact in question is a Sword.

Added Monster: Ogre Archer
Trait: Pure Precision(Inherited Weapon)
Effect: This monster’s Artifact’s added crit-chance and crit-damage are improved by 30%, or by 40% if the artifact in question is a Bow.

Added Monster: Ogre Sorcerer
Trait: An Enchanting Time(Enchanted Weapon)
Effect: This monster’s Artifact-granted spell damage bonus is increased by 30%, or by 40% if the artifact in question is a Staff.

Added Monster: Ogre Lancer
Trait: Lead The Advance(Well-used Weapon)
Effect: This monster’s Artifact-granted anti-class damage is increased by 30%, or by 40% if the artifact in question is a Lance.

Added Monster: Ogre Guardian
Trait: Heroic Defense(Freshly-wrought Weapon)
Effect: This monster’s Artifact-granted class-specific damage reduction is increased by 30%, or by 40% if the artiafact in question is a Shield.

Added Monster: Ogre Barbarian
Trait: Savage Nobility(Crude Weapon)
Effect: This monster’s Artifact-granted attack damage is increased by 50%, or by 75% if the artifact in question is an Axe.

Itherian Monster: Ogre Weaponmaster
Trait: Mastery of Arms(Itherian Weapon)
Effect: This monster continues to gain bonuses from its Artifact even if said Artifact is decayed, losing only its Artifact Trait.

Special Monster: Ogre Hero
Trait: Dual Wielding(Hand-me-down Weapon)
Effect: This monster can wield two Artifacts at once, and gains bonuses from both, but will not gain an Artifact Trait from its second Artifact.

(Total Monster Count: 101)

And another one…the Cyclopes, based on the Retro Forsaken to some extent, these lovely, one-eyed ladies have trait gimmicks that take advantage of Blind, because in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king! They used to look like this:

Yeah, VERY diffrent from the usual Forsaken. They do look like they have one eye, so that’s what I emphasized. We do need a bit more of the classical Greek/Roman feel anyway, the Gorgons can’t do it all themselves. :stuck_out_tongue:

Monster Class: Cyclops
Role: Supporting DPS(good ATK, okay INT and Mana, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Cyclops Warrior
Trait: Go For The Eyes!(Clear Eye Drops)
Effect: This monster deals 200% more damage to targets with Blind.

Added Monster: Cyclops Sentinel
Trait: Kaleidoscope Eye(Gleaming Eye Drops)
Effect: Your creatures take 10% less damage for every monster that has Blind in the enemy party.

Added Monster: Cyclops Cleric
Trait: Sight For Sore Eyes(Blessed Eye Drops)
Effect: When this monster gets a turn, any allies that have Blind lose it, and an equivalent amount of enemies gain it.

Added Monster: Cyclops Scholar
Trait: Watch And Learn(High-power Eye Drops)
Effect: When allies have Blind and attack an enemy this monster has attacked, they will never miss.

Added Monster: Cyclops Druid
Trait: Eye of the Tiger(Natural Eye Drops)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with Blind, it ignores 25% of that enemy’s Defense.

Added Monster: Cyclops Mystic
Trait: See No Evil(Crystalline Eye Drops)
Effect: When one of your creatures has Blind, they take 90% less damage from all sources.

Itherian Monster: Cyclops Hermit
Trait: Sights Unseen(Itherian Eye Drops)
Effect: This monster inflicts Blind when it attacks. If it has Splash, secondary targets also gain Blind.

Special Monster: The One-eyed King
Trait: Seeing is Believing(Royal Eye Drops)
Effect: So long as this monster lives, enemies’ Blind debuffs last forever.

(Total Monster Count: 109)

Here’s something else: Thaumaturges, based on Retro Liches, whose traits basically do the opposite of what Raven traits do! They used to look like this:

Yeah, they’re rather similar to the Liches we know, but honestly, I like the classical look, so I figured I’d do something with it.

Monster Class: Thaumaturge
Role: Tank Caster(good DEF and INT, okay HP and Mana, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Lost Thaumaturge
Trait: Aimless(Pitch-black Lantern)
Effect: Enemy creatures have 30% less INT. This trait does not stack.

Added Monster: Wandering Thaumaturge
Trait: Take Your Time(Dimly-lit Lantern)
Effect: When enemy creatures cast a spell, 20% of their SPD is subtracted from their INT to determine the potency of the spell. This trait does not stack.

Added Monster: Vengeful Thaumaturge
Trait: Equivalent Exchange(Bloody Lantern)
Effect: At the start of this creature’s turn, it takes damage equal to 20% of its max HP, and reduces the enemies’ INT scores by that much for that turn.

Added Monster: Inquisitive Thaumaturge
Trait: Heretical Suspicion(Battered Lantern)
Effect: Enemies start battle with 80% Mana.

Added Monster: Clouded Thaumaturge
Trait: Obscuring the Truth(Rusted Lantern)
Effect: Enemies’ DEF is reduced by a number equal to 40% of this monster’s INT. This trait does not stack.

Added Monster: Noble Thaumaturge
Trait: I Make The Law(Glowing Lantern)
Effect: Enemies have their ATK reduced by 50% of their INT.

Itherian Monster: Guiding Thaumaturge
Trait: Toward The Light(Itherian Lantern)
Effect: When enemy creatures are attacked, 35% of their INT is added to your creatures’ ATK to determine the damage taken. This trait does not stack.

(Total Monster Count: 116)

Next are the Prometheans, based on Retro Efreeti, good-natured, heroic firebrands who become stronger for every monster that has Burn involved in the fight, enemy and ally alike! They used to look like this:

A diffrent kind of fiery, more like ‘wildfire’. Also, floaty hands, which I’m quite fond of, so I figured I’d just do something with it. :3

Monster Class: Promethean
Role: Durable DPS(good DEF and HP, okay ATK, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Promethean Paladin
Trait: Blazing Justice!(Smouldering Ember)
Effect: This monster gains 20% more ATK for every creature with Burn on the battlefield. This creature starts with Burn, but igfnores its effect.

Added Monster: Promethean Punisher
Trait: Burn Notice(Searing Ember)
Effect: This creature gains 5% defense penetration for every creature with Burn on the battlefield. This creature starts with Burn, but ignores its effect.

Added Monster: Promethean Wayfinder
Trait: The Road Ahead(Bright Ember)
Effect: This creature gains 5% more crit-chance for every creature with Burn on the battlefield. This creature starts with Burn, but ignores its effect.

Added Monster: Promethean Caretaker
Trait: Soothing Heat(Warm Ember)
Effect: At the start of your creatures’ turns, they gain 5 Mana for every creature with Burn on the battlefield. This creature starts with Burn, but ignores its effect.

Added Monster: Promethean Phlogistinator
Trait: The Power Of Phlogiston(Rippling Ember)
Effect: This creature gains 20% more INT for every creature with Burn on the battlefield. This creature starts with Burn, but ignores its effect.

Added Monster: Promethean Prophet
Trait: Pandemonian Rites(Glowing Ember)
Effect: This creature gains 5% more damage resistance for every creature with Burn on the battlefield. This creature starts with Burn, but ignores its effect.

Itherian Monster: Promethean Sunseeker
Trait: Praise The Sun!(Itherian Ember)
Effect: Your Prometheans share their innate traits and 10% of their HP with eachother. This creature starts with Burn, but ignores its effect.

(Total Monster Count: 123)

1 Like

Introducing the Haematonchires, based on Retro Slimes, shapeshifting blood creatures, named after various shades of red(minus one), with great health reserves and offensive power whose gimmicks involve defense penetration with a side order of Bleed! They used to look like this:

…yeah, a rather radical departure from the Slimes we know. These seem more liquid and gruesome, rather then the cheery Slimes we have. So I figured, why not bring them back, with a neat little ‘blood’ theme?

Monster Class: Haematoncheir
Role: Durable DPS(good HP and ATK, okay Mana, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Rose Haematoncheir
Trait: Airing The Veins(Pale Plasma)
Effect: When this creature attacks an enemy that has Bleed, it ignores 20% of that enemy’s DEF and makes them take 10% more Bleed damage.

Added Monster: Crimson Haematoncheir
Trait: Superheated Blood(Sizzling Plasma)
Effect: When this creature attacks, it ignores 10% of the enemy’s DEF and inflicts them with Burn.

Added Monster: Burgundy Haematoncheir
Trait: Heartbreaker(Still Plasma)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with Bleed, or when this monster has Leech, it ignores 10% of the target’s DEF, and 20% if both conditions are met.

Added Monster: Mahogany Haematoncheir
Trait: Corrupted Blood(Off-color Plasma)
Effect: When this monster attacks an enemy with Mend, it ignores 20% of the target’s DEF and turns Mend into Poison.

Added Monster: Scarlet Haematoncheir
Trait: Beat Of My Blood(Throbbing Plasma)
Effect: This monster gains 10% defense penetration for every buff it has.

Added Monster: Vermillion Haematoncheir
Trait: Blood On Your Hands(Flaky Plasma)
Effect: This monster ignores 10% of the target’s DEF for every turn the target has taken in this battle.

Added Monster: Azure Haematoncheir
Trait: Of Noble Blood(Glittering Plasma)
Effect: This monster ignores 10% of the target’s DEF for every 10% HP it has.

Itherian Monster: Sanguine Haematoncheir
Trait: Blood From Stone(Itherian Plasma)
Effect: This monster’s attacks have a level of defense penetration that equals the diffrence in percentages between the target’s DEF and its own DEF.

Special Monster: Wine Haematoncheir
Trait: Tippler’s Lament(Alcoholic Plasma)
Effect: This monster has 10% defense penetration for each Drunk stack its target has.

(Total Monster Count: 132)

And the last of the retro monsters. Meet the Roundbeetles, based on the Retro Mites, whose attacks keep going for a while when they have certain buffs on them, or their target has certain debuffs on them! They used to look like this:

…ordinarily, it’d be difficult to do something with this, but I figured out what to do with them after rifling through a database of monsters I keep for another project I used to work on(you’ll see this database referred to again later). Semi-spherical beetles. It just had to be.

Monster Class: Roundbeetle
Role: Durable DPS(good DEF and ATK, okay HP, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Bess Roundbeetle
Trait: Rolling Start(Ridged Roundshell)
Effect: When this monster has Protect and kills an enemy, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it.

Added Monster: Ladybird Roundbeetle
Trait: Lady Luck(Spotted Roundshell)
Effect: When this monster has Critical and kills an enemy, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it.

Added Monster: Dung Roundbeetle
Trait: Mud Fight(Odorous Roundshell)
Effect: When this monster has Taunt and kills an enemy, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it.

Added Monster: Rhinoceros Roundbeetle
Trait: Upend(Straight-horned Roundshell)
Effect: When this monster has Splash and kills an enemy, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it. If one of the Splash targets died, excess damage is thusly redirected to a monster adjacent to THAT monster.

Added Monster: Kabuto Roundbeetle
Trait: Ittou Ryodan!(Fork-horned Roundshell)
Effect: When this monster has Berserk and kills an enemy, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it.

Added Monster: Stag Roundbeetle
Trait: Dextrous Grip(Pincered Roundshell)
Effect: When this monster has Grace and kills an enemy, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it.

Added Monster: Hercules Roundbeetle
Trait: Sheer Magnificence(Double-horned Roundshell)
Effect: When this monster has Ward and kills an enemy, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it.

Itherian Monster: Iridescent Roundbeetle
Trait: Glittering Mail(Itherian Roundshell)
Effect: When this monster has Multistrike and kills an enemy, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it.

Special Monster: Firefly Roundbeetle
Trait: Firefly Light(Matte Roundshell)
Effect: This monster can freely target enemies with Invisible. When this monster kills an enemy that has Invisible, any damage inflicted greater then the killed enemy’s current HP is instead inflicted on a monster adjacent to it.

(Total Monster Count: 141)

Then, something based on something else retro, something that uses the Siralim 2 player character as a visual base…the Thralls.

I did these simply because the Siralim 2 character sprites were quite striking and cool(I actually shelled out for extra robes from Yseros to see them all!), and I figured I’d base something on it. Then I had additional ideas for the Enchanter and the Archmagus, giving them colors more similar to those of Damaos and Hebron’s old sprites(white and black). The Thrall Curser was a later addition, one I came up with on the fly.

Monster Class: Thrall
Element: Sorcery
Role: Offensive Caster(good INT and ATK, okay Mana and SPD, decent everything else)

Base Monster: Thrall Enchanter
Trait: Thy Will Be Done(Monstrous Soul)
Effect: This monster casts stat-boosting spells as if it had 200% more INT.

Added Monster: Thrall Pyromancer
Trait: Scorch And Torch(Wicked Soul)
Effect: This monster can equip Chaos-aligned spell gems, and casts Chaos spells as if it had 200% more INT.

Added Monster: Thrall Warlock
Trait: Unclean Pacts(Blackened Soul)
Effect: This monster can equip Death-aligned spell gems, and casts Death spells as if it had 200% more INT.

Added Monster: Thrall Bishop
Trait: Keeping False Gods(Corrupted Soul)
Effect: This monster can equip Life-aligned spell gems, and casts Life spells as if it has 200% more INT.

Added Monster: Thrall Druid
Trait: Subverting Nature(Malformed Soul)
Effect: This monster can equip Nature-aligned spell gems, and casts Nature spells as if it had 200% more INT.

Added Monster: Thrall Arcanist
Trait: Forbidden Rites(Stolen Soul)
Effect: This monster casts Sorcery spells as if it had 200% more INT.

Added Monster: Thrall Curser
Trait: Foul Magicks(Warped Soul)
Effect: This monster casts spells that inflict damage and debuffs as if it had 200% more INT.

Itherian Monster: Thrall Archmagus
Trait: Unlimited Power!(Itherian Soul)
Effect: At the start of battle, this monster gets temporary copies of the spell gems of every other Thrall in the party, and casts them as if it had 200% more INT.

(Total Monster Count: 149)