Mummy Lord (spoilers)

This is pretty much me just being a bit impatient, but I was curious what the Mummy Lord’s ability actually did - 17 tiers in and I haven’t seen it, but people frequently cite it as one of the best and most reliable tanks in the game. I assume they act independently of the defend/provoke commands since people packaged it with the Pegasus.

Edit: Extra note - am I supposed to have not found a single pill yet? I’ve made it all the way to realm 40 now and I’ve found no pills, one demon dust, and two nether orbs total, neither imbued, though they were at least high-tend stuff. I have not sat down and really farmed, however, I’ve mainly been going from one realm to the next. I am not a Death Mage, and my loot hoarding is around rank eight.

It’s a Power Spell creature, so it’s not related to the tiers at all, unfortunately. Its ability is Death Beckons, and it lowers Provoke chance to 35% while reducing all damage taken to 1 - the obvious combination being the Stronghold’s perfect Provoke ability. It’s useful because it completely shuts down direct damage, and prevents the rest of your team from facing additional damage / status / etc, but in turn has problems with those same things over time.

And yeah, if you’re not farming specifically, Pills / Dust are incredibly rare. You want your Loot Hoarding in the late teens and your Power Balance much higher if you want that rare loot.

[quote=“VagrantSun, post:2, topic:805”]It’s a Power Spell creature, so it’s not related to the tiers at all, unfortunately. Its ability is Death Beckons, and it lowers Provoke chance to 35% while reducing all damage taken to 1 - the obvious combination being the Stronghold’s perfect Provoke ability. It’s useful because it completely shuts down direct damage, and prevents the rest of your team from facing additional damage / status / etc, but in turn has problems with those same things over time.

And yeah, if you’re not farming specifically, Pills / Dust are incredibly rare. You want your Loot Hoarding in the late teens and your Power Balance much higher if you want that rare loot.[/quote]

Ah, I see. I’ve been doing 25000 powerspells nonstop and haven’t found a core for it yet, though I’ve gotten a few of the other powerspell creatures. It would definitely help to have a tank that resilient, as currently my Stronghold is actually more of a “guarantee my important monsters don’t die first and get a Calamity proc” rather than an actual tank; at my realm level most enemies one-shot it or come close, and Nethers do over five times its health in one hit.

As for the loot, I at least have my power balance at 200-210%, generally; I might have let it drop a bit due to advancing realms rapidly, though. I have enough bottled fairy-type items to generate 1000%+ power balance, at least!

Raising your PB Maximum is a slow process, since you generally need to get the PB Bonus perk ranked up to keep your balance topped off. This said, it’s a multiplier to your loot value, so I promise you it’s worthwhile.

Meanwhile, I have nine of these cores because my power spells keep throwing them at me instead of any others, and I’ve not wanted to use them because I don’t want them in enemy packs yet.

It would be nice to have a list of power spell creatures somewhere, or at least creatures that don’t show up in the normal tiers. I’ve heard people talk about Nightmare Mummies, and I’ve seen some critters from the Gimp Mummy transformations that looked interesting (like the Troll…Alemaster, I think it was?) but I haven’t encountered them yet at tier 28, and I’ve no idea if I’ve just been really unlucky with power spells, they’re extremely high tier, or if they’re gained in some other fashion.

Well, specifically, the alemaster is gained by other means thati don’t fully understand. And my guess is that if you can’t seem to figure out how to get it, is probably a special core, obtained through power spells, events, or interactions with NPCs after reaching some unknown point.

Off the top of my head:

Carver Sadist (when defending, randomly stabs a creature for 20% health; continues attacking until a creature dies)
Corrupted Phoenix (lethal damage is prevented, and creature gains Dying instead)
Master Shapeshifter (50% chance to gain all enemy abilities)
Shogun (20% chance to kill target attacked)
Ancient Ent (Holy Defiance at the 40% threshold, got MUCH better with the HD nerf)
Mummy Lord (described above)

Nightmare Mummies are not powerspell creatures, you just haven’t unlocked them yet. I personally agree with putting them so late in the tiers since they hose an entire mage class.

Troll Alemasters are special unlockable only, and you have to explore the castle to find them.

Daibolic Intruder
Ancient Spirit

…anyone ever gotten a Harpy Queen in a power spell?

Never. I think they are though because I remember Juncboks mentioning he bought one from a merchant ages ago (a core), and they only offer cores for sale if they can also be gotten through powerspells.

Thanks for the hint about the Troll Alemaster. I now feel kind of silly for having missed it. (Now to figure out what exactly the blasted thing does…)

I’ve also gotten cores for certain exalted emblem creatures from power spells. Believe I got both Death Bats and Occultist Spellbinders that way. And I’m guessing that if I want more Minotaur Battlemaster cores, I’d need to go to the arena.

Well, the merchant sells any and all types of cores (if the creature has a core) one that wouldn’t would be the troll alemaster or steampowered pilwiz. But yes, I’ve obtained further harpy queen cores from power spells. But the intruder is from tier unlocks. Don’t know which one, cause my main character is on randomized.

Diabolic Intruder is not on the normal creature tiers. Witch Doctor Inscriber is another.

Is there some other criteria for getting the harpy queen, ancient spirit, diabolic intruder and witch doctor insriber other than luck? I have always do my powerspell ritual but havn’t seen them yet.

Put points into better power spells. Other than that, nope. Also, the intruder was tier unlocked for me… could this be a bug on random creatures setting? Cause he spawns and I can diffuse him, which is how I obtained him… didn’t get him from a power spell.

Can I have confirmation that the 4 ultra rare cores (harpy queen, ancient spirit, diabolic intruder and witch doctor inscriber) can actually be gotten from powerspell? I just found a witch doctor inscriber core with the travelling merchant. Then I proceed to blow my entire shard stock in the powerspell but not a single one sighted but I got many of the others. I have max powerspell upgrades.

I got ancient spirit from Powerspells, confirmed on that. I’ve never seen Harpy Queen or Intruder anywhere, and Inscriber I’ve only managed to buy a core of.

That’s just the randomness of power spells. There’s not much more to say about it. I generally get lame stuff from max power spells, then I’ll randomly get three corrupted phoenix cores or something cool like that. So it’s the trouble with chance.

Thanks. I just need to know if it is actually possible then decide whether to spend my time on the powerspell. I have gotten the other cores, it just that these 4 seems to be even more rare than the usual powerspell cores.

I have only encountered Harpy Queens and Witch Doctor Inscribers at the Traveling Merchant. The other two definitely drop from power spells.