Pace of Combat

Been playing the game on and off the last few months and bought it a couple weeks back.

I really like the game but I have a tough time really getting into it for two reasons.

1. I play on my phone and not being able to resume a realm is frustrating when you only have say 5-10m to play.

2. This is the big one, combat pacing (or rather the info in combat) is so slow and tedious. I literally just tap the screen endlessly because text and actions pause constantly…
    Sometimes I avoid fights because of how tedious it can get.

Does anyone else feel this way? I don’t want to sound too harsh on combat as I like it in general. If fights were few and far between the pace would be fine, but you will spend most of your time in combat.

I don’t know the best way to handle this, but some kind of “speed” mode would be nice. Essentially just quickly go through the various actions (still scrolling through, just quickly) stopping only at parts where I need to do something.

Have you adjusted the message text speed in Options -> Gameplay ?

You should be able to hold the A button down and pass through most dialogue screen, and only need to re-tap when making a decision.

I have indeed. Hoped it would help, but it is still really slow in my opinion.

i play on iphone 5S and have no issues with battle pace. its all instant text… are you on an older device?

Pace was fine. The D-pad takes a bit getting used to after a while. Overall play experience was fine. The reasons I stopped playing on iOS and switched over to PC was b/c the text was very small (my eyes are terrible) and the game drained my batter very fast (2-3 min discharge/ 1% use on an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1). That was a dealbreaker unfortunately.

Hmm, well I’m going to start a battle and comment on what I’m doing to demonstrate what I’m trying to get at.

I have 5 creatures right now and just started a fight against 3.
At the very onset of the fight I get the text a hostile group of creatures appeared. Despite having no action I can take I have to press a button (tap the screen) in order to proceed.

Lucky for me my Dragon Soldier is first, tap attack, select target, tap “a” to execute. At this point there is again a pause that requires no action on my part and is thus unnecessary.
It shows the text “Your Dragon Soldier attacks!”; I have to tap “a” again to continue.
I tap a and now I get the results. I did 33 damage. Again I need to tap “a” to continue.

The Dragon soldier also reduces the max health, once again the game stops and waits for me to tap “a” despite there being nothing for me to do.

Now the enemy attacks me, it shows the text telling me that, but i have to tap to see who and how much damage. Then I have to tap again to continue.

So that is a sample of what I’m talking about.
I for one would prefer that the actions resolve and then allow me to look over the finer details/results if I want to. Most of the time I don’t need to know that my Iron Golem was attacked for 22 damage. I can see on screen that my Golem took damage, the details are usually not important for me and all the extra taps are quite tedious.

Then there are the stops that just make no sense. For instance, my Dragon soldier attacks, wait, 32 damage, wait, reduce health, wait. That could be reduced to just “Dragon Soldier attacks slime for 32 damage and reduced health by 40, wait”

Hopefully this illustrates what I was trying to communicate. Like I said, this wouldn’t be as big of a deal if combat only happened a couple times a level, but that simply isn’t the case.

[quote=“Nori, post:6, topic:619”]I for one would prefer that the actions resolve and then allow me to look over the finer details/results if I want to. Most of the time I don’t need to know that my Iron Golem was attacked for 22 damage. I can see on screen that my Golem took damage, the details are usually not important for me and all the extra taps are quite tedious.

Then there are the stops that just make no sense. For instance, my Dragon soldier attacks, wait, 32 damage, wait, reduce health, wait. That could be reduced to just “Dragon Soldier attacks slime for 32 damage and reduced health by 40, wait”[/quote]

I completely agree Nori. You have to tap (or hold) the A button many times between meaningful choices, so it gets tedious and encourages you to just skip through messages without reading them. It’s especially bad if you’re using creatures whose abilities pop up messages. For example, I have the Ent that grants Grace and Mend and his artifact gives a Shell to any creature that gets healed more than 15%. It’s a great combo that I really like, but it’s very annoying that it adds 3 or 4 more messages that I have to tap through every time one of my creatures gets a turn.

Some of this could be solved by showing the content of the messages in a more visual way, instead of doing everything in the text box. For example, when one of my creatures attacks an enemy, instead of telling me that “Your Brim Smith did 203 damage to the enemy Wyvern Skystalker”, it could show a red “203” over the Wyvern’s picture. When a creature is healed, show a green number over its picture. If it gains a buff or a debuff, just show the name of the buff/debuff over the creature’s picture (eg, the word “Shell” appears briefly over the Ent when it gains the Shell). Maybe show a message like “Lost Shell” or “-Shell” on the creature’s picture when it loses the buff/debuff. Bonus damage (like the Spider Occultist’s Enchantment) could be a second number below the Attack damage number in a different color, like yellow. This is how a lot of RPGs handle the most common types of messages to speed up combat and not overload the player with so much uninteresting information that they start to tune it out.

I also agree that it would be nice to remove the artificial pauses between some of the actions. Then you just have to keep tapping on the A button to get it to move on.

You can also disable sound effects to make the messages skip a lot of pauses, since most messages wait for the sound effect to play before continuing. The other pauses are for an animation to play, such as the enemy taking damage or to perform a spell effect.

Hmm, just tried disabling music and sfx and it still prompted me at all the locations I mentioned in my last post.

I like radfordblue’s idea of having some of those messages be visual instead of a message. I see many games have the damage show right over the character (usually in addition to a scrolling message box somewhere).

The pauses you’re talking about are probably because an enemy is flashing, and therefore taking damage.

Nope, I know what you are talking about though, like when you cast a spell or they are taking some damage over time (burn).

What I’m talking about are the faux prompts you get. Like when you first get in a fight, it shows a message “A hostile group of creatures appeared”. You have to tap the screen for the game to continue. You can wait there all you want and nothing will happen.

Same with after you select a unit to attack. You get a message saying “Your Dragon Soldier attacks the Lich.” That screen will not do anything until you tap a button.

You can hold down the A button to quickly cycle through the messages. With instant message text on and the sound effects disabled, I think the wait time is miniscule.

Huh, I did not know that. That actually works out pretty good.
I kind of think that should be highlighted in the control section or any tutorials on controls.

Still, wouldn’t mind seeing some of the messages put together, but this will definitely speed combat up.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll be holding down the A button continuously now :slight_smile:

And don’t even start with those damned DireWolves adding X number of more hits to tap through!