Patch 2.0 beta discussion thread.

For those not in the beta: Spoilers ahead! Also, if you’re interested in beta testing try and give Zack (all hail!) a poke. Also, obviously things mentioned in this thread may very likely change in the future.

The 2.0 beta is currently online and I personally aim to provide Zack (all hail!) with as much data as possible while testing is going on. The more data he has, the easier it is for him to make the game even better, which benefits us tremendously. And I think that us, the beta testers, having a discussion thread where we can compare our impressions of the patch with one another, discuss what we like and dislike about the changes and so on will help all parties get different perspectives than what we would gain from “just” reporting directly to Zack (all hail!) via PM.

Besides, I’m curious as to what you guys think of the patch.

In particular I’m personally curious in regards to:

• Your thoughts on the perks system, what perks you’re using, if there’s any perks that you like/dislike and if you find that the perks system has given you more flexibility build wise.
  • Your thoughts on the new creatures and wether you find yourself building teams that aim to do something other than just deal as much raw damage as possible.
  • Your thoughts on the new graphics. Both in terms of creature sprites, the overworld and so on.

The point of this thread isn’t to discuss bugs as there’s not really that much of a point in sharing opinions on something that’s not meant to be there to begin with.

Personally I’m loving the perks system. Especially for the Wizard (Sorcery) and the Necromancer (Death). Necromancers are going to get a perk which rewards you for reviving your dead creatures by damaging your opponents, which lends itself to allowing you to create “bleed” builds where you actively treat your minions as were they expendable. A playstyle that I’m very excited for. And the Wizard comming with a number of perks that make you want to focus on spells, an oftentimes overlooked aspect of the game.

I’m not terribly fond of the Druid (Nature) or Warlock (Chaos) though as they don’t really have perks that create/support specific playstyles. Although I see why people could be excited for the Warlock, as a lot of people like to aim at high attack minions and the Warlock supports that (somewhat bland) niche. The Druid I think could do with a more coherrent theme, but I have no idea what it could possibly be - any thoughts?

As for the Cleric. His Revival perk is getting changed to give you a potential chance to get the Rebirth buff on your minions at the start of combat. The version currently in the Beta is blatantly better than the Necromancer’s Necromancy perk. I rather like the Cleric personally, but I don’t find it as interesting as the Wizard or Necromancer. In fact, I’m currently using a Cleric to explore the beta as it dawned on me that it works wonderfully with the Volatile Phoenix creature (+30% Attack, Defense and Luck while all your creatures are alive).

Which brings me on to the new creature abilities. I absolutely love them! Several of them, like the Volatile Phoenix, make you want to focus your build around them. Me for instance using a Siren Oracle (grants your creatures a barrier at the start of combat equal to 25% of their health), Gimp Mummy (revives itself as a random creature upon death with 50% health), an Imling/Imler combo (because Imlings are cool) and a Unicorn Vivifier in order to support my Volatile Phoenix and the build is doing very well. What I like about the new “generation” is that they allow you to make quirkier builds than what you previously could - and I was getting bored with the usual offenders (Brim Smith/Berzerker Fiend/Spider Sorceress/etc) and everybody, myself included, using high damage teams.

Variety is nice. :stuck_out_tongue:

I find the new graphics to be somewhat of a mixed bag though. Certain new monsters look fantastic and suit the older ones perfectly. Sirens being my personal favorites. Whereas others have this… handdrawn quality to them that I find a bit… off, when compared to the very pixel’y art-style we’re used to. Not that they’re bad or anything, just different. The only graphical changes that I really can’t stand being the new Spell Chamber and a few overlord items (igloos, haybales, sinks(?), the piles of ingots at the Blacksmith’s) - small things.

Absolutely adore the Phoenix’ and D’jinns, by the way. God I love Sorcery creatures. :smiley:

• Kinda odd to me that you get the Volatile Phoenix before the Royal Phoenix (50% chance to revive self with 50% health), though. Seeing how the Royal one is the “archetypical” phoenix and all that. Not that I mind as I love the Volatile Phoenix to bits.

So, what are your impressions of the beta?

EDIT: The Graveless perk is seemingly not getting implemented into the game until 2.1’ish. Which is understandable as it does look very coding heavy - and coding sucks. Instead we’re getting Plaguebearer which has a chance to infect the enemy team with either Infection and/or Disease at the start of battle. Gotta love that Smog support.

I’d love to hear what everyone has to say here as well! Although I think only a couple people have had a chance to try out the beta so far this weekend.

A quick note about the creature graphics: they’ll all be redone eventually, along with all the NPCs and your own character sprites. I actually just implemented new Aspects, Bats, Amaranths, Liches, and Efreets a few minutes ago which didn’t quite make it into the beta patch. Hopefully at least 3 more races will be redone before 2.0 is released to the public.

I am looking forwarding to trying perk classes besides the warlock, but I have focused all my royalty points on character upgrades so far.

My creatures have relatively low attack and damage power, so perhaps the cleric would enhance my build a bit better, rebirth sounds nice. I picked the chaos mage because I liked the coat, and I have to complain that the new red jacket is a real uniform downgrade. Makes me feel like little red riding hood, or imagine Paul Revere yelling “the redcoats are coming!”

As for alternative build strategies, I have not discovered a means of winning that does not involve large amounts of damage or instant kill techniques. I would also prefer the damage to happen faster, rather than slower. But some abilities that work well at lower levels fizzle out at higher levels. For instance, everybody loves Berserker Fiends, but if the other monsters are higher in level and have high defense, then the BF will not do very much damage at all. A monster like the Servant Hunter becomes preferable, not for high damage but because the glaive causes two enemies to bleed. Equip your monsters with artifacts that cause bleed, burn, poison, etc. and you will do more damage against a monster team that is relatively high in level compared to you.

Another approach against parties that are way tougher than you is to use abilities that damage enemies by a set percentage of their health. The Celestial Idol, when defending, damages all enemies by 20% of their current health, regardless of relative difference in power. A new creature, the Raven Acolyte, reduces all creatures’ health to 50% at the start of battle, which is a great advantage to a team that can cause damage more quickly than the enemy party. Of course, with your own party at 50% HP, the strategy could backfire against more powerful teams.

I would say now I have no strategy at all except to use synergistic abilities by combining the right monsters with the right legendary artifacts, and building a team that complements each other.

For instance, the Dryad Naturalist would make a good combo with the Nightmare Golem, and a wizard who specializes in Nightmare. Nether creation matters too. You could build a Viper Sorceress from a Yellow Orb maxed out on Topaz activations. The attack power will be low, but the speed will be very high, and the creature will do additional damage equal to 150% of the amount of speed it has greater than its target. She will often strike first, and if you target the slower tanks she hits harder, so this can be an effective strategy. Another new creature, the Wicked Carver, could make a could addition to a necromantic build, because it gets a free attack every time one of your creatures dies.

The character sprites are just placeholders, don’t worry. They won’t look anything like that pretty soon.

This patch just looks great. Can’t wait for it to hit droid market. I am interested in what I can do with the perks.

Mind if I ask why you haven’t spent any on perks yet and why you’re not looking forward to the Warlock - unless I read that wrong and you were meaning that you’ve already tried it? Personally I love the perks and want to focus my points in them, but I feel punished for not picking the ones that improve loot as early as possible. Likewise I’m personally, as mentioned in the OP, not really feeling the Warlock or Druid, and to an extent the Cleric, as they don’t really have a “theme” behind them.

Okay, sure, the Warlock does have a “theme”, sure, but… you know what I mean. It’s just plain damage. Which I admit that a lot of people are going to love, but it’s not my cup of tea personally. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for alternative build strategies, I have not discovered a means of winning that does not involve large amounts of damage or instant kill techniques. I would also prefer the damage to happen faster, rather than slower. But some abilities that work well at lower levels fizzle out at higher levels. For instance, everybody loves Berserker Fiends, but if the other monsters are higher in level and have high defense, then the BF will not do very much damage at all. A monster like the Servant Hunter becomes preferable, not for high damage but because the glaive causes two enemies to bleed. Equip your monsters with artifacts that cause bleed, burn, poison, etc. and you will do more damage against a monster team that is relatively high in level compared to you.

Another approach against parties that are way tougher than you is to use abilities that damage enemies by a set percentage of their health. The Celestial Idol, when defending, damages all enemies by 20% of their current health, regardless of relative difference in power. A new creature, the Raven Acolyte, reduces all creatures’ health to 50% at the start of battle, which is a great advantage to a team that can cause damage more quickly than the enemy party. Of course, with your own party at 50% HP, the strategy could backfire against more powerful teams.

I would say now I have no strategy at all except to use synergistic abilities by combining the right monsters with the right legendary artifacts, and building a team that complements each other.

For instance, the Dryad Naturalist would make a good combo with the Nightmare Golem, and a wizard who specializes in Nightmare. Nether creation matters too. You could build a Viper Sorceress from a Yellow Orb maxed out on Topaz activations. The attack power will be low, but the speed will be very high, and the creature will do additional damage equal to 150% of the amount of speed it has greater than its target. She will often strike first, and if you target the slower tanks she hits harder, so this can be an effective strategy. Another new creature, the Wicked Carver, could make a could addition to a necromantic build, because it gets a free attack every time one of your creatures dies.

Sorry, I meant to say, umm, “theme” builds in my opening post. For instance a team that focuses on abusing the burn status effect, a Diabolic/Storm team (bats didn’t receive anything noteworthy) or a team that’s all about revival effects. Of course high damage is going to be the main goal no matter what. Derp on my part there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any of the new creatures that you’re using in particular, or have grandious plans for? Like for instance my newfound love for the Volatile Phoenix.

I dumped all my royalty points into Extraction Bonus, Increase Extraction Chance, Increased Resource Gain, and Shorter Rituals, after raising my minimum ritual number up to three. I wanted to see as many new creatures as possible before the beta period ends, and my PC character is relatively low level.

I am a warlock, I have not spent any points on warlock perks. My favorite build could benefit from starting with rebirth, so the cleric may be the best choice for me. I do not choose monsters that have high attack or damage, and tend to look for a different way to get the job done. Do you have all six of your monsters equipped with legendary artifacts? Have you found your “favorite” abilities in crafting material form?

Like you I added the Volatile Pheonix, Siren Oracle, and Gimp Mummy. The barrier ability from the Siren Oracle is particularly helpful at lower levels. I intended to test the Gimp Mummy and see as many new creature transformations as possible at the same time, so I had him provoke and watched for bugs (none occurred for me). Provoking synergized well with the barrier. I dropped the Volatile Pheonix for a Troll Arsonist, because the Arsonist delivers more damage in the form of a bomb at the beginning of its turn.

I did not get enough cores to make a Raven Acolyte, but I wanted to try its ability (all creatures starting at 50%). This favors whatever party delivers damage faster, and it does not diminish the barrier effect, so the player team has a distinct advantage when paired with a Siren Oracle. That being said, I have only encountered 11 new monsters, so I have not found much yet.

It sounds like you have had more time with the beta than I, so tell me:

How many new creatures have you extracted a core for (and learned its ability)?
Have you found any new spells?
Have you found any cool new crafting materials?

Me: 11, no, no

[quote=“crumplecup, post:7, topic:380”]I dumped all my royalty points into Extraction Bonus, Increase Extraction Chance, Increased Resource Gain, and Shorter Rituals, after raising my minimum ritual number up to three. I wanted to see as many new creatures as possible before the beta period ends, and my PC character is relatively low level.

I am a warlock, I have not spent any points on warlock perks. My favorite build could benefit from starting with rebirth, so the cleric may be the best choice for me. I do not choose monsters that have high attack or damage, and tend to look for a different way to get the job done. Do you have all six of your monsters equipped with legendary artifacts? Have you found your “favorite” abilities in crafting material form?

Like you I added the Volatile Pheonix, Siren Oracle, and Gimp Mummy. The barrier ability from the Siren Oracle is particularly helpful at lower levels. I intended to test the Gimp Mummy and see as many new creature transformations as possible at the same time, so I had him provoke and watched for bugs (none occurred for me). Provoking synergized well with the barrier. I dropped the Volatile Pheonix for a Troll Arsonist, because the Arsonist delivers more damage in the form of a bomb at the beginning of its turn.

I did not get enough cores to make a Raven Acolyte, but I wanted to try its ability (all creatures starting at 50%). This favors whatever party delivers damage faster, and it does not diminish the barrier effect, so the player team has a distinct advantage when paired with a Siren Oracle. That being said, I have only encountered 11 new monsters, so I have not found much yet.[/quote]

I’ve found that the extraction traits are more or less worthless. Extraction chance isn’t really any good when it’s as easy to just bring a creature to mortally/badly wounded and then spam extraction at them. It doesn’t speed speed up battle speed or anything else, really. So you’re stil going to be encountering the same amount of creatures at the same rate. The bonus perk is very lackluster too as you only really need 3 cores, 6 if you want Nether status, and having a chance to only need to face 2, rather than 3, versions of a creature is very unlikely to have any impact. Personally I’d just have gone for Bloodbath, if you want to speed through the game, as having a +100% damage bonus at rank 25 just lets you cleave through things at a ridiculous speed.

The same goes for the ritual traits. You’re unlikely to have more than 2 rituals going at a time and you’re infinitely more likely to finish your rituals before you’ve got the ressources for the next tier, than not. The thinking is good though. One would think that these traits would speed things up, but they just don’t compete with raw damage. If you really want to rush things though. Try going for a Necromancer and focus on Writhe. It’s broken as hell - it has 200% the intended proc chance and instantly kills anything, no matter what.

I have made Zack (all hail!) aware that there is indeed a lot of traits that aren’t worth picking, and others that feel like they punish you for not picking them (increased loot, etc). Planning to send him a comprehensive list soon.

Something that Zack (all hail!) might want to do for future patch tests is make all new creatures instantly avaniable and give test characters an infinite amount of royalty points. Should make testing a lot easier. Just throwing that one out there.

I haven’t actually really bothered with artifacts myself quite yet. Mostly because I’m horrible at prioritizing and tend to just use stuff I find in the Life/Sorcery realms. Besides I veiw testing as being the most important part of the beta and I am going out of my way to break the game and force crashes. Halfway expected Revival and Gimp Mummy to cause a crash, for instance, and that’s why I’m still using the mummy. Seeing how artifacts take a lot longer to assemble, especially legendary ones, than just getting creatures - so I can test their abilities - I’ve pretty much ignored enchanting.

Amazingly I haven’t even encountered one crash, yet. Quite a few bugs though and a number of minor issues here and there. Blood Reaper (sacrifices your creatures in order to grant itself a barrier when it would otherwise dies) ignoring its own barrier when calculating whether or not it should trigger its effect, thusly letting you abuse it to kill an entire team for free, for instance. Or Disease/Infection dealing 100% of the targets health as damage, rather than a scaling amount.

Still using the same team as in the OP. Although I’m now hunting down an Ancestral Phoenix (40% for each of your creatures to start combat with Rebirth. Triggers individually) and a Royal Phoenix (50% on death to revive self at 50% health) as they compliment the setup amazingly well. Plus the Phoenix line is soooo kewl. I tend to occasionally replace some members for a limited time though to try out the new gen 2.0 creatures for stresstesting.

I’m planning on starting a new game though. This time in Random creature mode as a Druid.

[quote=“crumplecup, post:8, topic:380”]It sounds like you have had more time with the beta than I, so tell me:

How many new creatures have you extracted a core for (and learned its ability)?
Have you found any new spells?
Have you found any cool new crafting materials?

Me: 11, no, no[/quote]

Creatures: I’ve seen pretty much all of them. Most by playing in Random Creature Mode. The highlights being Djinn Nethermancer (all Nether creatures have Scorn and Suffocate), Carver Shadowstalker (gains invisibility when it defends and deals 300% damage the next turn), Fate Clutcher(?) (your opponent can’t score mortal strikes anymore and clancing strikes deal 1 damage), Dryad Raincaller (heals all your creatures for X% depending on the amount of Storms you control) and the Shapeshifters (gains the abilities of all creatures of a certain class at the beginning of combat. Currently have stacking issues where they won’t benefit from abilities that activate at the beginning of combat).

I’d share the full list. But I reckon I’d might as well just write a comprehensive list in another thread someday when I’ve unlocked them all. Or maybe even write a wiki for the game.

Spells: The only spell I’ve encountered, they’re very rare now for some reason, would be Psionic Blast which deals 1-100% damage at random. Might have encountered others but I honestly can’t really remember the full list of “old” spells. I’m fairly new to the game aswell - I just so happen to have a very, very easy job with a lot of free time.

Artifacts: Not really, no. Artifacts tend to fall into two categories; things you can get throuh character/creature traits and things that mimic creature abilities. Got a cool material that mimics the creature currently known as Witch Doctor Shaman, may get a name-change though, which increases magic damage by 50% while increasing mana cost by 50%. Immagine a Wizard with that and some Sorcerer Disciples (75% when they cast a spell to not consume mana or a charge). Good times all over the place!

Some perks are going to be better than others, but I think that’s fine. The point of this system is not for everyone to max out their ranks in every perk - that would go against my goal with the game to be “infinitely playable”. You should be able to reach level 5000 on your character someday and still have some use for your Royalty Points. With that said, there are a few perks that will receive a point cost adjustment before the final release. Patch 2.1 will also have some new items that allow you to acquire even more Royalty Points without having to complete a Duty or level up your character.

I don’t personally believe that players are being punished for not choosing increased loot traits, though. There is always an opportunity cost with everything, whether that be the rate you can clear a Realm (using damage perks), the maximum Realm level you can clear (using mitigation perks), the efficiency associated with having multiple rituals running at the same time, etc. I’m definitely open to more discussion on this matter, though!

The loot table is being adjusted for the final release as well. There are currently too many rare items dropping and not enough common items dropping (like spell scrolls).

Ohh, my bad. I forgot about the infinite playability philosophy of the game. Derp. On second thought I can also see the Extraction Bonus trait being very worthwhile in the future, or late game. Considering how quickly you’re pumping out new creatures. Imagine how frustrating it could potentially be to try and get 3 cores from a specific creature at tier 87 without the chance of bonus cores.

Fair point too. Can’t believe I missed that when I myself made the point that clear-speed often out-preforms extraction traits. Yet again, derp.

Glad to hear about the fixed drop chance. I intend to make a new Wizard once we get the official release and make a spellcasting focused build (Sorcerer Disciple, Witch Doctor Shaman, Hurricane, Sunclaw Gargoyle, etc) and the project does hinge a lot on being able to get spells at a relatively reliable pace. :wink:

I was also trying to be a good beta tester, work prevents me from doing much further to help. I know I would not have very long to play, so I wanted the extra chance to score two cores so I could get to building new teams quickly. The PC version is new for me, I have invested all my time in the mobile game, so there was a limited amount of exploration I could actually do of the game.

You found 100 new creatures… in days??? Is that you on Daily Streak 9 right now or Bewi?

I think you are wrong about the shorter ritual perk. This perk is great. It is helpful in early game, and late game it will help with the tons of nether orb activations and power rituals required to unlock everything. Late game, I would prefer to have all ten rituals, because you to have one power and one nether orb activation active at all times. If I then want to enchant 24 gems for a nether orb, each requires 1500 energy. If I can enchant 3 things at once, and I decide to enchant the gems one at a time, I need to gather 36000 energy. If I can enchant 10 things at once, I can enchant 8 each round and I only need to gather 4500.

Yes, one can lack sufficient resources for frequent rituals. Resources are a significant constraint throughout the game. I recommend buying the Nightwing Gargoyle early, and enchanting your items with bonuses to power, energy, crystal, and brimstone. You get tired of granite very quickly, but I enchanted bonuses for it early on when you have to make everything. Now, though, I have plenty of everything on my mobile game, so I won’t spend any points on the perk to increase resource gain.

I won’t spend any points on increasing spell slots for the same reason, after you reach level X or somewhere around there, you have more spell slots than spells in the game, and enough apprentice quills to have more than a hundred charges on each scroll. Extra mana is also a useless perk.

Better shards is good. Better treasure is great. Really I want just a few rare items, and increasing the volume and frequency of drops is a good strategy to get them to pop up. I don’t need the perks to help with fleeing, though, its not a skill I ever use.

Getting away from the beta for a moment, don’t ignore artifacts. There is not much you can do with them early on, but pairing the right legendary crafting material with the right monster is the secret the success in this game. Beat minor sigils to get a major sigil to drop. Beat a major sigil to make the legendary material drop. Go to a higher realm to increase the success rate for each to drop. The ability of the crafting material will usually match the special ability of the monster featured in the sigil description, the same monster that appears front row center in the enemy pack when you channel the sigil.

Buffs and debuffs are also an important part of your overall strategy. Sleep works much better in the update. I noticed the bug related to infection, but I couldn’t confirm it so I didn’t mention it. I am glad you sussed that out. I like pumpkin and kirsute gomen, and I used to favor stun and confuse. Infection, disease, burn, poison, bleed can be good ways to take down stronger opponents.

Finally, I must disabuse you of the notion that bloodbath is an overpowered perk. It is helpful at lower levels, but conventional high attack high damage parties don’t hack it very well at high levels. Where I am wandering around on my mobile, increasing my damage by 100% wouldn’t make any difference, my strongest hitter would barely scratch them. However, the ordinary creature skills, where you increase damage 1% at a time… I didn’t have time to explore those but those are potentially the place where you can really juice up the damage, because they don’t appear to have a level cap! After all, what are you going to spend your 15000’th point on when you hit level 5000?

[quote=“crumplecup, post:13, topic:380”]I was also trying to be a good beta tester, work prevents me from doing much further to help. I know I would not have very long to play, so I wanted the extra chance to score two cores so I could get to building new teams quickly. The PC version is new for me, I have invested all my time in the mobile game, so there was a limited amount of exploration I could actually do of the game.

You found 100 new creatures… in days??? Is that you on Daily Streak 9 right now or Bewi?

I think you are wrong about the shorter ritual perk. This perk is great. It is helpful in early game, and late game it will help with the tons of nether orb activations and power rituals required to unlock everything. Late game, I would prefer to have all ten rituals, because you to have one power and one nether orb activation active at all times. If I then want to enchant 24 gems for a nether orb, each requires 1500 energy. If I can enchant 3 things at once, and I decide to enchant the gems one at a time, I need to gather 36000 energy. If I can enchant 10 things at once, I can enchant 8 each round and I only need to gather 4500.

Yes, one can lack sufficient resources for frequent rituals. Resources are a significant constraint throughout the game. I recommend buying the Nightwing Gargoyle early, and enchanting your items with bonuses to power, energy, crystal, and brimstone. You get tired of granite very quickly, but I enchanted bonuses for it early on when you have to make everything. Now, though, I have plenty of everything on my mobile game, so I won’t spend any points on the perk to increase resource gain.

I won’t spend any points on increasing spell slots for the same reason, after you reach level X or somewhere around there, you have more spell slots than spells in the game, and enough apprentice quills to have more than a hundred charges on each scroll. Extra mana is also a useless perk.

Better shards is good. Better treasure is great. Really I want just a few rare items, and increasing the volume and frequency of drops is a good strategy to get them to pop up. I don’t need the perks to help with fleeing, though, its not a skill I ever use.

Getting away from the beta for a moment, don’t ignore artifacts. There is not much you can do with them early on, but pairing the right legendary crafting material with the right monster is the secret the success in this game. Beat minor sigils to get a major sigil to drop. Beat a major sigil to make the legendary material drop. Go to a higher realm to increase the success rate for each to drop. The ability of the crafting material will usually match the special ability of the monster featured in the sigil description, the same monster that appears front row center in the enemy pack when you channel the sigil.

Buffs and debuffs are also an important part of your overall strategy. Sleep works much better in the update. I noticed the bug related to infection, but I couldn’t confirm it so I didn’t mention it. I am glad you sussed that out. I like pumpkin and kirsute gomen, and I used to favor stun and confuse. Infection, disease, burn, poison, bleed can be good ways to take down stronger opponents.

Finally, I must disabuse you of the notion that bloodbath is an overpowered perk. It is helpful at lower levels, but conventional high attack high damage parties don’t hack it very well at high levels. Where I am wandering around on my mobile, increasing my damage by 100% wouldn’t make any difference, my strongest hitter would barely scratch them. However, the ordinary creature skills, where you increase damage 1% at a time… I didn’t have time to explore those but those are potentially the place where you can really juice up the damage, because they don’t appear to have a level cap! After all, what are you going to spend your 15000’th point on when you hit level 5000?[/quote]

Gotta love how eager the fanbase is to help out Zack (all hail!). Bodes well for the future. :smiley:

Not quite sure what the differences, if any, there is between the different versions. But if your actual save is on the mobile version I can see issues crop up. Personally I’ve got limited experience with the game pre-beta due to some unfortunate crashing bugs. Which has been removed in the beta - because Zack (all hail!) is awesome. Didn’t get past level 30’ish in 1.30 as I found the crashes to be too frustrating, hence why I’m a bit in the dark when it comes to the late-game and the meta.

This is also why I decided to start from scratch in the beta; because I assumed most people would have level 100 characters to test with and I reckoned me doing the early game and giving feedback on it would provide unique info. Turns out I was wrong.

Didn’t say that I’ve collected them all. Only that I’ve seen a lot of them, okay I said most but that’s because I’m an idiot. Not by actually playing the game legitimately, but rather by doing Random Creature Mode playthroughs with Reincarnation on. One creature that I just encountered that blew my mind was the Harpy Queen (100% increased drop chance for legendary materials from Major Sigils!). Seems like you can only get the cores from wandering merchants too and for a fairly hefty price. She even looks awesome, just to sweeten the deal even further.

Been trying to figure out how to score a Mimic, if it’s even possible, but I can’t remember if there’s an enchant or creature that lets you extract cores when you land a killing blow and that’s the only method I’ve been able to think of currently. Best I could think of was a Haunted Golem (kills anything it extracts from), but that’s the exact opposite of what I was looking for. Although it did dawn on me that it makes Extraction Chance very attractive if you can use it to give the Golem a 25% chance to kill anything even if it’s at full health.

Didn’t know about the orb thing. I honestly thought you had to do gems one at a time… I have… umm, had difficulties creating Nether creatures.

Personally I’d rather go for the Ressource gain traits than get the Gargoyle as I view creature slots as being worth far more than royalty points. But that is one of the things that I’m getting increasingly more and more estactic about when it comes to the royalty system; it gives you options. Do I go for drop chances for my permadeath character, or combat perks? Do I pick Creature-X or invest heavily into trait-Y? I like it a lot, altough I’d wish there was a reset feature for them (I know that you can reset perk-traits) but I tend to believe that it’s best to save something like that for when the points aren’t all new and shiny anymore.

I immagine the fleeing perks are for permadeath runs as being able to go /lolnope/ at a nasty party beats losing your character.

I’m not ignoring artifacts, at all. Just didn’t phrase things too well before, sorry. I haven’t been able to score anything terribly interesting, Only got 1 granite bonus material, for instance. I meant to say that I’ve been focusing on getting creature tiers for my non-random mode character as I’m not really in for the long run with him. Didn’t know about the Major Sigil mechanics, though. Thanks for enlightening me. :smiley:

I too have noticed that buffs/debuffs are a lot more powerful later in the game than raw damage. I stil believe that Bloodbath should be viewed with a bit of care though as it plus the attack and damage increase creature traits could very well wind up creating silly situations. Call me paranoid if you will, but my tinfoil hat keeps the camel-snatching aliens at bay. Curious about what you think about the reworked Apathy perk then, which gives you a chance to dispell buffs from the enemy when you attack them. Can’t remember the actual numbers as I deleted the message from Zack (all hail!). I like to keep my inbox clean.

Also. My god. Didn’t even see that some traits didn’t have any caps. Jeeeebus! :o

EDIT:

Coolest party I’ve been able to assemble so far was Djinn Evoker (50% extra damage to burns - the ability seems to belong to Unchained Djinn in reality), Scourge Mummy (all enemies start with burn) and the… Raging(?) Efreet (consumes burns on targets to deal the full damage instantly) and a Stronghold. Such luck!

Got killed by a party with 3 of the Smog which inflicts Infection as it is currently an insta-kill and I didn’t manage to run away. Such unluck!

• was a random-permadeath run.

EDITEDIT: Just remembered that the Nightwing Gargoyle gives you 30% ressources for each of your living creatures. Thought it was just plain 30% if it itself was alive.

Nightwing Gargoyles are super awesome, try using it!

I forgot to mention I am looking forward to the increased power balance perk. I can’t reach 200% at my low PC level, but high power balance is critical for getting good drops, so I am looking forward to raising my power balance max.

Can you change it so that a save is only deleted if you finish making a character? if you accidentally choose create a character and cancel before character creation it would be better if the save was still there.

I’m not sure what i think about some class talents being loot related, some of the class talents are particularly weak and comparable to low tier general talents. (Kinda like the idea of the chaos mage talent, but really don’t like the idea of the nature mage talent. I wouldn’t invest on it based on the description alone.)

Enchanted candle quest gave all my gems 1 level except those at level 9 i believe

I don’t know if it’s a problem with my team, or what, but I’ve fallen so behind the curve even the level 1 realms are a slog and a struggle, each fight feeling like a boss for barely any rewards. I can’t upgrade my artifacts because I have no resources, and the game must expect me to have much better artifacts than I have. I can’t even start with a new level 1 team to use my wizard’s spells and higher level artifacts, because I don’t have the resources to summon new creatures. I’m basically stuck dying every other battle until I grind out enough resources (which will take hours) to get a new level 1 team just to reset the level scaling and give me some breathing room to farm resources. Am I missing something major?

Edit: A couple other bugs (that I assume are known, but I want to state anyway:

1. Spells past the third slot disappear upon reload - another reason I may be having trouble, as the enemy team is always free to cripple me with spells while I can do nothing but plink 10% of their health off a turn with weak attacks.

2. The Life mage perk that reduces damage over 50% HP to 50% (or less) doesn’t affect some status ailments, spells and things like Sorceress enchantments - This may be intended, but the fact I’m so weak means I -have- to rely on it to have a chance at survival.

I think the fact the enemies likely have fully statted and enchanted artifacts are a big part of this - I’m stuck with “naked” artifacts, and often outdated ones, because enchanting costs precious granite. Enemies, even on realm level 1, get so much for free that I essentially would need to go to realm level -5 to farm at an enjoyable pace in order to start building my characters up.

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to try to get new level 1 creatures - I think you’re better off using your old team.

1. Since your creatures are level 1 and the lowest level a creature can be is level 1, your enemies are going to be the same level. Conversely, if your creatures were all level 10, realm level 1 would have creautures that are probably closer to level 7.

2. You said you don’t have any artifacts, but your opponents do. That makes your level 1 creatures even weaker.

3. You probably don’t have too many spells, but your opponents do. Same problem as mentioned above.

Are there any types of enemies in particular that are giving you a rough time? What’s your team?

[quote=“Zack, post:19, topic:380”]I don’t know if it’s a good idea to try to get new level 1 creatures - I think you’re better off using your old team.

1. Since your creatures are level 1 and the lowest level a creature can be is level 1, your enemies are going to be the same level. Conversely, if your creatures were all level 10, realm level 1 would have creautures that are probably closer to level 7.

2. You said you don’t have any artifacts, but your opponents do. That makes your level 1 creatures even weaker.

3. You probably don’t have too many spells, but your opponents do. Same problem as mentioned above.

Are there any types of enemies in particular that are giving you a rough time? What’s your team?[/quote]

The main reason the artifacts would work well is the fact that while the enemies have artifacts with various skills, the stats are for level 1s - while mine, even unenchanted, still have 50-60 attack and can give a major early boost.

My team is a Berserker Fiend (damage), Unicorn Vivifier (support), Brim Smith (damage), a Ghoul I forgot (the one that reduces damage taken by 25%, tank/support), Twisted Devil (damage, though doesn’t do much), and Lich Priest (damage, though doesn’t do much).

It’s not -literally- impossible to kill things, but it takes a while since it feels like enemies usually have maximum defense reduction on all of my monsters; the few times I could use defense debuffs I had a much smoother ride. There’s no specific monster that’s an issue to fight, the main thing is when I fight hard to kill one monster and it just gets immediately resurrected, or when it just seems like nothing takes damage. My party’s around level 28-36, and my mage is level 31 or 32.