Perk Cost Growth

There are a number of key perks that have a cost growth:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 …

This creates a strong push for players to spread out their perk points mid-game because the benefit of specializing isn’t worth the cost. That being said, perk specialization is a lot of fun. Having high investment in a particular perk can really change the way you play, which is awesome.

You should consider adjusting some perks to flatten the cost growth a bit. For example:

2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, …

idk some perks worths putting like all your points into them imo. with some builds. again frankly now i start thinking ill put all my points into brimstone for next 10k levels.

[quote=“Noetherian, post:1, topic:3990”]There are a number of key perks that have a cost growth:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 …

This creates a strong push for players to spread out their perk points mid-game because the benefit of specializing isn’t worth the cost. That being said, perk specialization is a lot of fun. Having high investment in a particular perk can really change the way you play, which is awesome.

You should consider adjusting some perks to flatten the cost growth a bit. For example:

2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, …[/quote]
I strongly agree with this, it would definitely be a bit too overpowered to have something like critical% increase for 1 point all the way up to 100 but with the way costs work right now it doesn’t make any sense to invest an exorbitant amount into any one stat unless it’s an insanely good class specific one. Keep in mind this is mostly an early game complaint, I have little issue with high costs for slight increases towards endgame when stats are inflated anyway, but at the beginning of the game it feels boring to have such small gains for increasingly bigger costs.

Just as an example of why the current system feels unsatisfying: Playing chaos mage, I have the option to increase both critical chance and critical damage. This sounds like it would go great with the Asura Gutslasher which can deal an extra attack after a critical hit, so why not invest in critical hit chance? Problem is, 20 ranks into the perk and 230 deity points spent, it’s costing 20 points to increase again for just another single percent increase. In the same amount of points spent, I could get several ranks of the chance to debuff an enemy with every attack, a very obviously notable boost with a fraction of the total cost… Until I start hitting that same cost barrier, where it makes more sense to move onto the next skill.

In the end, I feel like the current skill costs make every character feel kind of stale in terms of perk selection, as you can’t specialize outside of the actual class that you chose and their single small (total) investment perks.

I recommend possibly using a truncated, incrementally increasing formula. You can then just tweak the cost ratio as desired for a given perk.

perkCost = floor(baseCost * costRatio[sup]currentRank[/sup])

Tweaking the costRatio here has a dramatic effect on how quickly or slowly the deity point cost increases per rank. A perk you want to have cost limited might use a ratio of 1.15, while a “cheap” perk might use 1.05.

This type of formula has the added benefit of soft-capping progression for certain perks if desired.