Point of Gene Strength?

I understand how the system works now after playing with it, but what does it actually do?

Was it’s intent to create a way to make the game harder / easier?

I haven’t found a point to do it and have to reset everything. I am thinking of just removing it on NG+

[quote=“Mouthwords, post:1, topic:3723”]I understand how the system works now after playing with it, but what does it actually do?

Was it’s intent to create a way to make the game harder / easier?

I haven’t found a point to do it and have to reset everything. I am thinking of just removing it on NG+[/quote]
Gene Strength increases the strength of your monsters by essentially “resetting” them. The GS enhances their base stats, which multiply over each level they gain.

So if a creature had say… 20 Strength with 0 GS, it might have 24 with +10 GS.
By level 100, the creature with 20 Strength might have 200. But the creature with +10 GS might have 240. These numbers are made up, but that’s how it essentially operates.

It’s supposed to be a bonus for breeding, however I found it to be more of a pain and heavily disliked the mechanic. Each floor, enemies gain a bunch of GS that accelerates. To keep pace, you must do the same, resulting in a longer grind because you have to “reset” each creature. At extremely high levels, this can mean going up 1 floor, resetting all of your creatures, leveling back up, then clearing the next floor. Then you repeat, because the 2nd floor up increases too much. This doesn’t even address the resource cost or time cost to hatch/reset your creatures.

The way around this of course, is to utilize traits that can kill/win largely independent of stats - which simply defeats the purpose of having GS in the first place. Thank god S3 isn’t using this mechanic!

As a WARNING - you should know that disabling GS on NG+ only disables YOUR Gene Strength. Enemies still gain their GS in standard and nether realms.
https://forums.thylacinestudios.com/p/12456

The only difference the No GS option makes is with certain realms/fights (like the Avatar fights and daily realms) that scale off your creature’s level (since you have 0 GS, they also gain 0 GS).

In my experience it does disable enemy GS, as I can outspeed enemies while underleveled in classic mode (level 364 enemies with 278 GS are always slower than my level 217 creature with a hybrid attack/speed artifact). It may be that Humility shows the stats with GS even if they are not applied, or that not everyone is affected by the bug.

Thanks for the info!