Post 2.0.15 build environment

So, it looks like infinite depth builds are a think of the past. And I’m really happy about it!

My pre-2.0.15 build, resin+celestial furnace+calamity, was wiping every enemy team before they even had the chance to act. However, I only made it to realm 166 before I felt like I had beaten the game, as I knew I could just continue indefinitely with no threat of challenge. I didn’t even play with nethers because the percent-of-max-health damage abilities made stats pointless. I got bored.

Suddenly, 2.0.15 drops, and my team is no longer effective in its current condition past realm 90 or so. Now I’m scrambling through my core and materials inventory looking for a new optimal build, and as far as I can tell, there isn’t one. I can’t come up with a single build that isn’t vulnerable to something, and I definitely haven’t come across anything that would perform at an infinite depth independent of stats. This is a good thing; it forces those of us who feel compelled to optimize to find a build that’s more suited to our own play style rather than one which is unbeatable. Nerfing percent-of-max-health abilities definitely made this game much more enjoyable for me.

I still really like Calamity, and I want to make it work. I’m still running Troll Arsonists. Celestial furnace is still excellent as well. The team that I’m thinking about running looks like this:

Chaos Mage, for the 12.5% of max health to damage on attack. I think this and the corpse explosion spell are the only %max health abilities left.
Pegasus + Cradle to the Grave
Wicked Carver + Celestial Furnace
Brim Smith + Calamity
Troll Arsonist + Topaz, thinking of dropping it for Blight or absorb burn, or another Celestial Furnace
Troll Arsonist + Everything’s Gone
Troll Arsonist + Not Sure Yet, again, Blight and absorb burn seem really lucrative in the current environment.

I tried cranking it up to around realm 150, and found that burns were one-shotting my team. A Scourge Mummy encounter was pretty much a guaranteed wipe. Enemy health was so high that my Calamity procs couldn’t keep up with mends and other heals. Poison was less problematic than burn, as I’ve not encountered a poison counterpart to the Scourge Mummy. I imagine infection and disease would also wipe my team at this level, but I did not encounter those debuffs. Fielding Blight and the ability that makes burn heal your creatures is really worth it now.

Obviously as I continue to phase in nethers and up the stat threshold of my team, the deeper levels will become more comforatble.

So, is anyone else running Calamity? I’d love to hear some suggestions!

And for those of you who were running infinite-depth teams, what are you running now? How far are you able to go with your new build?

Volcanic Efreet is the creature that causes Burn to heal your creatures, through the In Flames ability. Also, they’re very easy to mix up, but Calamity is the Dead Booms ability; Cataclysm is the Magma Golem row-burn ability.

My current Calamity build:

Mage: Nature (Raid maxed, Ferocity 20/25)

~*~

Pegasus + Cradle to Grave
Wicked Carver + Calamity
Raven Acolyte + Annihilating Strike
Volcanic Efreet + Venom Inoculation
Skeleton Marksman + Doomsayer
Doom Devil + Itchy Finger

Believe it or not, the Pegasus/Carver combo is not there as a primary damage dealer, instead being used to add more friendly turns to the turn order and proc my Timebombs more easily. It does make early floors easier, though.

An addition I swap in on occasion for the Acolyte’s enchant, if I’m feeling daring, is Clemency; I’ve maxed out extraction chance, and I can frequently instantly kill an enemy with an extract that way. I’d imagine a Hysteria Ghoul or another Marksman would be even better at the role, though this has obvious problems with “boss” encounters.

Enemy stats don’t mean much to this build, so I tend to get killed whenever a realm effect spits on my Carver’s mad dance skillz, or when a Wrath Ghoul shows up. That timing varies, but I’ve been down to 130ish safely (teleported to 100 for testing).

I don’t get to play nearly as much as I’d like to thanks to incoming manuscripts trying to beat out summer sales at the bookstores - it’s the second busiest time of the year for text sales, because everyone’s buying schoolbooks or being on summer vacation anyways, so take the build with caution, because I’ve only got a few hours playtesting on it.

Just so you know, Eternal Rest counters Calamity. You can still run an infinite depth build that is very reliable (as in the enemy needs 2 specific hoser to win).

The setup looks like this:
Mouth of Hell (Gravestorm)
Pegasus (Electroheart)
Topaz Paragorn (Everything Gone)
something with Eternal Rest
something
something
Artifacts with magic to allow mana blasting and dispels.

I use the free slots for wipe recovery and spell denial(but no Curse of Silence). Possible counters for this build are

• both death realm procs
  • Bone Reaper
  • Nightmare Mummy
  • Frenzy Ghoul

Bone Reapers and Frenzy Ghouls are killed with mana blasts
Dispel on Mouth of Hell to clean Wrath or Snare, haste it if necessary
Defend on Mouth of Hell to afflict enemy with Doom
first enemy attacks and gets its whole team stunned and eventually killed in round 3

I do not run this build at the moment because it is really boring, but it works if you are looking for a farmbuild until you get orbs/gems for a team you want to play.

Yeah, I meant Calamity, not Cataclysm. Thanks for pointing that out, I’ll go back and edit it : )

VagrantSun: I didn’t think of sticking Cata…er, Calamity on the Wicked Carver. I forgot that he gets a 50% attack bonus when his extra turns proc. That stacks, right? I’d definitely drop the Brim Smith and move Calamity over to the Carver. Great idea! Kudos on Doomsayer+Itchy Finger too, I never would have thought of that. It sounds like a lot of fun. Also, what is Annihilating Strike? I just went through my cores and my materials, I can’t find that ability in my inventory.

Kejal: Yeah, I always focus the Bone Reapers when they pop up, otherwise it’s game over. I didn’t think of Gravestorm+Electroheart, but I see where you’re coming from; waiting for Gravestorm to finish the fight would get pretty monotonous.

This is also something that will likely be changed/fixed, but Kejal, have you tried flamestrike + fireball? With a Raven’s ability, flamestrike into fireball x3 (or having the burning mummy to cut out one step) is a guaranteed enemy wipe at any realm level (and two fireballs leave all enemies at 5% HP maximum). This obviously relies on having spell charges, but seeing as you use mana blasts, I assume you have some way to mitigate that. Though I assume that’s more of an emergency fix rather than the main form of attack.

No I haven’t tried that (but I will). Does Fireball inflict % damage. I do not have its scroll so I can not check. I remember it got some bonus when the enemy was burning but do not remember what it was.

Yes I have over 200 charges for spells I use. Though I do not know if I could sustain 3 spells even if I multiplied them (equiped same spell in multiple slots to double/triple the effect of quills).

[quote=“Kejal, post:6, topic:806”]No I haven’t tried that (but I will). Does Fireball inflict % damage. I do not have its scroll so I can not check. I remember it got some bonus when the enemy was burning but do not remember what it was.

Yes I have over 200 charges for spells I use. Though I do not know if I could sustain 3 spells even if I multiplied them (equiped same spell in multiple slots to double/triple the effect of quills).[/quote]

If Fireball strikes a burning target, all enemies take 30% of their maximum health in damage.

[quote=“Holts, post:4, topic:806”]Yeah, I meant Calamity, not Cataclysm. Thanks for pointing that out, I’ll go back and edit it : )

VagrantSun: I didn’t think of sticking Cata…er, Calamity on the Wicked Carver. I forgot that he gets a 50% attack bonus when his extra turns proc. That stacks, right? I’d definitely drop the Brim Smith and move Calamity over to the Carver. Great idea! Kudos on Doomsayer+Itchy Finger too, I never would have thought of that. It sounds like a lot of fun. Also, what is Annihilating Strike? I just went through my cores and my materials, I can’t find that ability in my inventory.[/quote]

Carver’s ability stacks, yes. If I could get a Nether Demon of it I’d do something inane like put Whetted Fists/Sacrimony/etc on it, but that’s wishful thinking. I only have two Nether Demons and I can’t get either’s ability to be optimal.

It’s Culling Strike, actually, so I can’t call you on misnaming things. -_- That’s the surekill at 30% ability native to the Destroyer Fiend, which I use to pick off anything weak so that I don’t waste a Bomb on it.