Rift Dancers

These creatures have pretty cool effects. Only problem, you not only have to wait 3 turns wasting time but also have to remember to do 3 actions in the specified order… and then what? The result is underwhelming too. I don’t know if the AI actually takes advantage of this trait but I have literally never seen this go off even at around realm ~55 because battles typically do not last that long unless one creature has a particularly nasty damage dodging effect. I suggest that either the effects be buffed to the point where these creatures are actually practical choices to include in a party or let them trigger only with 2 actions.

For whatever it’s worth, I’m inclined to agree. There are just so many creatures that are more immediately and consistently powerful. Why should I spend three turns including two non-offensive turns just to stun for one round when I’ve spells that can do that on command, creatures that can put most enemies to sleep at the start of a battle, etc etc. I love the idea of an agile creature dancing circles around an enemy team, and I think the idea of setting up and then executing some pay-off ability over the course of a battle is a cool idea, but in practice I don’t think the Rift Dancers are very viable as they stand.

I feel like for the rift dancers there needs to be payoffs for each stage of the dance. For example, with the rift dancer that attacks every enemy on the third action, it should go like this:

1st Action - Provoke: deals 20% damage to every enemy creature
2nd Action - Defend: deals 40% damage to every enemy creature
3rd Action - Attack: deals 60% damage to every enemy creature

And then resets on the 4th action. Some sort of ramping effect the longer you keep dancing seems like it would be more fitting the rift dancers.

[quote=“scrabbletank, post:3, topic:1688”]I feel like for the rift dancers there needs to be payoffs for each stage of the dance. For example, with the rift dancer that attacks every enemy on the third action, it should go like this:

1st Action - Provoke: deals 20% damage to every enemy creature
2nd Action - Defend: deals 40% damage to every enemy creature
3rd Action - Attack: deals 60% damage to every enemy creature

And then resets on the 4th action. Some sort of ramping effect the longer you keep dancing seems like it would be more fitting the rift dancers.[/quote]

While I don’t know enough to off the cuff feel whether these particular numbers are balanced or not, I like this general idea of a ramping effect because it maintains the sequence chaining Rift Dancers currently have and just builds off of it.

Right now the game plays like S1: you need to grind through hundreds and thousands of battles so winning on the first turn, before enemies cast 5 minutes of spell effect texts for you to sit through is the optimal way to play, as well as there being many ways to kill everything on the first turn calamity style. Rift dancers are terrible for how battles play out right now

defensive teams, though really slow, are viable, so rift dancers could work in these.