Sad Day: First Negative Steam Review

I suppose it was only a matter of time, but Sirilim finally has a negative Steam review.

However, I can’t figure out how to access the negative review (as a USA customer, Steam only shows me reviews that are written in English).

In any case, if you own a Steam copy of the game and you haven’t written a review of the game yet, this weekend would be a great time to do so! :->

(Also, thanks again to Zack for continue to support the game with great post-release patches!)

I was so curious to see what that person had to say that I actually checked the review page in every language until I finally found it: it’s in German. He mentioned something about 1994 and 2015, so I’m going to just assume it has something to do with the graphics.

Yes, the graphics are definitely retro. However, if you are buying the game on Steam, the fact that Siralim has retro graphics is 100% obvious from the screenshots and the video.

If you are the type of player who doesn’t like playing games with retro graphics – and there is nothing wrong with having that preference – I am not sure how you end up owning Siralim.

Well, Apple aims for 100% satisfaction on their reviews as well, but they settle for 90% from their workers, because people will be people. I’m very critical, and on one of the standard 1-5 options, I’ll almost never put a 5 unless something was truly excellent. What else are the other numbers there for if you only ever put 1 or 5 like most people do?

But hey, you managed to avoid the inevitable people who will give you a negative no matter what you do until your 60th vote… that’s pretty good.

VagrantSun speaks German, right?

Do note that this is gotten from google translate combined with german skills I have more or less forgotten since “high school”. It also in no way reflects my view of the game. ^^

The points the person makes are more or less:

• The graphics belong back in 1994.
  • There is no mouse support.
  • Something about the the music being annoying / tedious and not being able to control the volume in game, only have it completely on or off.
  • Most of the interaction in the game happens through white text on black background, it is boring.
  • At least you can remap the keys.

For a game anno 2015, this is for me barely acceptable, at least getting mouse support should not be too much to ask, considering games like Desktop Dungeons have it.
If you like retro games and old “console ports” this will surely not be a problem, nevertheless, a word of criticism should be allowed.

So if you were curious about what was said, this is it. Looking at what was said, the only point I can agree would be nice, is if we were allowed to change the volume in game of sfx and music, not just on or off. Most of the rest I think states that the person is not in the target audience. :slight_smile:

All fair points, except I think the graphics are fine. They just seem to matter more for this person. Volume control would be nice, though :).

I’d kill for volume control myself. I tend to listen to podcasts while I game and it’s really sad to play Siralim with no sound. /sadface.

Once that’ve been said, I actually prefer negative reviews myself. They are often far, far more insightful than the positive ones, as they must remain critical of the subject, and if they can’t think of anything other than petty bullshit, then clearly the game is on the good end of the spectrum. Positive reveiws, by contrast, tend to be rather… rose-tinted and more interested in selling the game, than they are in presenting the game objectively.

If I have to pick between two loonies who are yelling at me to do X. Then chances are that I’ll hear out the guy telling me not to do X, and then make up my mind. Thank you very much.

And lo’ and behold: The german guys main gribe seems to be petty non-reasons. All things considered, that review is a gain for Siralim.

O_O

You creepy psychic!

But yeah, pretty much the only thing this guy liked was remapping all two buttons; he’s complaining about graphics, the repetitive music, and the style of the game in general, which he found boring; also, he claims it’s such a text-heavy game, and there’s very little visual representation and animation.

Granted, if you hate roller coasters, you’re not going to like anything about being on a roller coaster. That’s what I take from this guy’s review. The only worthwhile points are the sound gradient, which I could see being useful, and the heavy graphical repetition, which is kind of part and parcel with a sprite-based game.

Respwner summary of the review contains all major points. The full translation (as a native German speaker) would be:

The graphics date back to about 1994. Mouse control is non existing and the racket(music) can get on your nerves. It is not possible to turn down the volume (in game), you can only turn it off completely. The majority of the interaction with the player happens via white text on black background. There is hardly anything more boring. At least you can rebind the keys. For a PC game released in 2015 this is still hardly acceptable. At least mouse control should not be expecting too much. Even Desktop Dungeons offers this. People who like “retro games” and old console ports will not see a problem with it, but a word of criticism should be allowed.

What a coincidence that that’s Siralim’s target demographic. It’s almost like its meant to appeal to those people. Shock and wonder, shock and wonder indeed. ::slight_smile:

I still do approve of this review though, and I’m honestly saddened that it’s not written in English.

So I agree that in general, I am happy to read critical reviews.

However, in the particular case of Steam, the exposure that a small Indie title gets on Steam (the likelihood that the game shows up in the “Recommended for You” or the “Exploration Queue” sections for a player that plays similar games) is highly dependent on the total number of positive reviews as well as the percentage of positive reviews.

Therefore, even if many of the positive reviews aren’t that helpful to you as a player when it comes to deciding whether to buy a game, those positive reviews are incredibly useful (within Steam) for increasing the exposure of the game. (In particular, having lots of positive reviews – regardless of whether or not they contain useful information – are helpful for making sure that players who play similar games are aware of the existence of this game.)

Note: I believe that this is a flaw in Steam, but that’s the world we live in. (And it turns out that designing valuable recommendation system is actually kind of hard …)

Now see, I did not know that. Seems like a massive flaw in the way Steam handles things, and very anti-consumer. But then again, they’ve also got some of the worst costumer-support in the bussiness, so that’s not particularly surprising.

Damn that well-intended reveiw and the creators desire to share his opinion! The blood may be on Steam’s hands, but he did the deed!

That reminds me. I haven’t written a review yet myself.

What I don’t understand is why this guy did not understand what he was getting into. There are videos, there are pictures, there are around 50 reviews as to what the game Is and Is Not. You can’t please everyone, but it sure seems that Siralim has pleased the vast majority who have bought it.

Also, if you click on RPGWatch in Steam, Siralim is like the number 7 most recommended game, which is how I found it (and I’m glad I did!)

At a guess I’d think his English isn’t great since he wrote his review in German, and this is an incredibly text-heavy game, so if you have trouble with the language, this will definitely give you a headache. But that’s conjecture at best.

If you’re on a recent version of Windows, you can right-click your volume icon in the taskbar and choose “Open Mixer”. There you can individually adjust the overall volume for each running application, e.g. turn up your podcast and turn down Siralim.

I agree it’d be nice if Siralim would implement volume adjustment, but this might save you from having to kill anyone. :wink:

[quote=“Respwner, post:6, topic:824”]The points the person makes are more or less:

• The graphics belong back in 1994.
  • There is no mouse support.
  • Something about the the music being annoying / tedious and not being able to control the volume in game, only have it completely on or off.
  • Most of the interaction in the game happens through white text on black background, it is boring.
  • At least you can remap the keys.

For a game anno 2015, this is for me barely acceptable, at least getting mouse support should not be too much to ask, considering games like Desktop Dungeons have it.
If you like retro games and old “console ports” this will surely not be a problem, nevertheless, a word of criticism should be allowed.[/quote]

That person obviously hasn’t played Pokemon, or has played on his DS with a mouse. What a joke.