"Shiny" Creatures

For those who don’t know, in most of the Pokemon games, you can very rarely encounter a “shiny” Pokemon that has a different color scheme than normal ones. They don’t have different stats, abilities, or anything like that - they’re just something rare for players to hunt for.

I’ve been experimenting with some new code that works in a similar way and allows me to do palette swaps for creatures. For example, I can make the Cinder Devil’s skin blue and his fire pink. You can extract from one of these “shiny” creatures to get a “shiny” core. Then, when you summon that creature using that core, it will have the alternate palette. Similarly, when you breed a shiny creature, the offspring will be shiny as well - provided the offspring is the same creature as the shiny parent. Sounds good enough, right?

The problem is that creating an alternative palette for every creature in the game is extremely time-consuming, and I’m also not very good at choosing color schemes that look good. For those reasons, I can’t really do these myself. Instead, I want to see if there are enough people out there who are interested in creating these palettes for everyone to enjoy.

We’ll need palettes for over 700 different creatures, and each one has its own battle sprite, as well as a spritesheet containing 8 frames for overworld sprites. That’s a lot of work, and I don’t think it’s realistic for just one person to do all of it. That’s why I want to gauge interest here and see how many people would be willing to pitch in and help out.

In the event that there’s enough interest, here’s how everything would work:

1. I’ll upload a .zip file that everyone can download. It contains all the battle and overworld sprites for every creature in the game.

2. I’ll also upload a palette creation tool that everyone can use, along with instructions on how to use this tool. Basically, you’ll use this tool to import a battle and overworld spritesheet, and then mix/match colors using a nice visual editor. Then, you can use the tool to export the palette file. The tool is very easy to use but I’ll provide detailed instructions - anyone can figure it out, it’s very basic.

3. We’ll create a Google Spreadsheet that everyone can access. This will be used to organize and collect the palettes and other information for every creature in the game. That way, we can see which creatures still need palettes.

4. When all 700+ creatures are done, I can add support for these “shiny” creatures to the game.

There’s no real time limit or deadline for these - they’ll never be done in time for Early Access at least, so I’m fine with adding these as a content patch after the game is released.

In addition, for the sake of quality control, we can assign a few people to judge the palettes after submission to make sure there aren’t any ugly or glitched palettes.

If you’re interested in helping out, please post a response here. Please only respond if you’re serious about doing these. I expect one full creature palette to take about 10 minutes to complete, maybe a bit longer until you get used to using the palette creation tool.

Sure, I’ll help. This isn’t really a feature I’m interested in, but at least I’ll have something to do when I’m bored.

I’d love to contribute! I’ve always liked doing my own rendition of shines, in some way. Not very used to using forums, but lmk if i’m able to help!
Thanks

What file format are the sprite files in?

Are you looking to just modify the pallete shared across all the sprites for a creature?

Or are certain parts of the creature being changed by hand.

[quote=“bluequakeralex, post:4, topic:3541”]What file format are the sprite files in?

Are you looking to just modify the pallete shared across all the sprites for a creature?

Or are certain parts of the creature being changed by hand.[/quote]

The sprites and palette files will be in PNG format, but it’s all handled by the palette editor anyway.

Each individual creature would have a separate palette file.

Wouldn’t that increase the RAM requirements?

I’m interested, people says that i’m cool combining colors, and i played a lot pokémon and i had done some recolors, i’m sure that i can be helpfull for that, i can do like 2 or 3 creatures per day or more!

Each creature would just need a small file that contains probably 16-20 pixels total, so it would be a very negligible amount. I also found a way to ensure the game doesn’t get bogged down regardless of the number of creatures you have at the stables (which leads to a massive performance increase), and I’m on the path toward finding a solution for items as well.

How rare will they be? Will there be a way to farm specific shiny creatures or even turn a normal creature shiny somehow? What happens if you breed one?

I figured you could just occasionally find one and extract a core from it, which would be a different core than normal. For example, instead of the core being called “Diabolic Henchman Core”, it would be called “Singular Diabolic Henchman Core” or something like that. Then, when you use the core to summon the creature, it will have the alternate color scheme.

When you breed the singular creature, the offspring will retain the palette swap only if the offspring is the same creature as the singular parent.

Charms would be the best way to target a specific creature you want, which also gives us a secondary use for cores and charms.

[quote=“Zack, post:10, topic:3541”]I figured you could just occasionally find one and extract a core from it, which would be a different core than normal. For example, instead of the core being called “Diabolic Henchman Core”, it would be called “Singular Diabolic Henchman Core” or something like that. Then, when you use the core to summon the creature, it will have the alternate color scheme.

When you breed the singular creature, the offspring will retain the palette swap only if the offspring is the same creature as the singular parent.

Charms would be the best way to target a specific creature you want, which also gives us a secondary use for cores and charms.[/quote]

Ok, I like how it adds a use for charms.

Looks like there’s plenty of interest, so I’ll get some details prepared and everything set up tomorrow!

Lol maybe I’m the only one… but I really wish pokemon shinies had potential to be stronger than a normal version because of some biological reason that made them look so different and unique. The Red Gyarados was the first shiny I remember back in the day and it was such a shame to be weaker than other normal ones. Same with my pink Kyogre, bad nature and poor stats and I had no desire to ever hunt shinies since. Ofcourse this game is totally different, breeding and all that you have a unique creature stat wise so making it shiny works well.

Just me rambling how shiny system in Pokemon was such a let down lol

What happens if you turn a singular core into a charm?

You can’t - some cores can’t be used to create charms now. Singular Cores, Itherian Cores, and Avatar Cores won’t work.