Siralim bug: Game Crash when entering Combat

PLaying Siralim 1 on a PC (Windows 10) and I whenever I enter combat the game crashes and I get this message:

############################################################################################

FATAL ERROR in

action number 1

of Step Event0

for object obj_enemy:

Unable to find any instance for object index ‘0’ name 'obj_winphonepause’

at gml_Object_obj_enemy_Step_0

############################################################################################
Any help of fix appreciated.

Did you just start the game or have you been playing for a while? Are you using the Steam version? What version number?

Version # is 2.5.0

I did reinstall the game a couple of weeks ago when I did a complete re-installation of Steam (since I couldn’t get the latest Civ 6 DLC to get working but the re-installation fixed it) on my PC.

I only have one save file with one fairly high level toon; a Chaos Mage who I had started playing again couple days ago, yesterday and today when it suddenly started crashing on the deepest level i could go.
I tried again 2 times on the deepest level and same response; crash with that error sign.

So I tried again on a much lesser level (Lvl 44). The first chest I opened was a mimic and so fighting that worked. But next group of monsters I engaged crashed the game again.
By the way I´m playing without sounds due to the minimum sound being far to loud though I have no idea if that affects this particular crash.

Is there a certain creature that your two save files are you using? I’m thinking it must have to do with some overlap with a trait or a spell or something like that.

This is my setup of mobs + abilities + artifacts + weapons and enchants i use on my only save file;

Omnipotent Deity/Life/Attack (Calamity: When a creature is killed, enemies take damage equal to 50% of this creature’s Attack. Ability can only trigger once per side for each death) Sword with Proficient + 8 stacks of Attack + (Doppleganger: After attacking, become a copy of the target. Everything but artifacts and abilities are copied) + Nether Ability: Intimidation (Your creatures have 10% more [Attack], [Defense], [Speed]/speed) and Maximum Health for each battle won in the current Realm)

Topaz Paragon/Life/Defend + (Topaz Attunement (Creature and the Creatures in its row start battle at the top of the action queue and have critical for 1 turn) Helm with Rebirth+ 4 stacks of Health +4 stacks of All Defense + (Doomsayer: After defending, gain Timebomb) + Nether Ability: Prelude to Extinction (Creature and your surrounding creatures always have Multistrike)

Doom Devil/Chaos/Defend (Doomsayer: After defending, gain Timebomb) Helm with Rebirth+ 4 stacks of Health +4 stacks of All Defense + Day of the Dead: When one of your creatures die they have a 50% to be resurrected with 35% health) + Nether Ability: Everything’s gone (At the start of battle, set all creatures’ health equal to 65% of their Maximum Health)

Doom Devil/Chaos/Defend (Doomsayer: After defending, gain Timebomb) Helm with Rebirth+ 4 stacks of Health +4 stacks of All Defense + (Eternal Rest: Enemies with abilities that activate when they die are ignored) + Nether Ability: Chrysaor´s Ambition (If one of your Creatures would die from an attack, deal the damage to this creature instead)

Topaz Paragon/Life/Defend + (Topaz Attunement (Creature and the Creatures in its row start battle at the top of the action queue and have critical for 1 turn) Helm with Rebirth+ 4 stacks of Health +4 stacks of All Defense + (Doomsayer: After defending, gain Timebomb) + Nether Ability: Garrote (After an enemy casts a spell, it is afflicted with Suffocate until the end of next battle)

Mouth of Hell/Chaos/Defend (Final Oblation: After Defending, creature dies and deals damage equal to 100% of its missing health) Armor with + 9 stacks of Health + (Breath of the Tundra: After dying, afflict enemies with Frozen) + Nether Ability: Cradle to the Grave (After dying, 100% chance to resurrect with 1 health and move to a random position on the Action Queue. Chance decreases by 20% each time this effect happens. Chance cannot fall below 20 %)

Maybe it´s easier to read it like this:

Omnipotent Deity with Calamity + Doppleganger & Intimidation
Topaz Paragon with Topaz Attunement + Doomsayer and Prelude to Extinction
Doom Devil with Doomsayer + Day of the Dead and Everything’s gone
Doom Devil with Doomsayer + Eternal Rest and Chrysaor´s Ambition
Topaz Paragon with Topaz Attunement + Doomsayer and Garrote
Mouth of Hell with Final Oblation + Breath of the Tundra and Cradle to the Grave

Still don’t know why it started to crash all of a sudden, didn’t really change anything other than boosting my Artifacts stats further. Maybe I reached some kind of threshold on Mage, Creature or Depth level or Artifact max stat?

You might need to try removing one creature from your party at a time and see if you can isolate what trait is causing this to happen. And then, unfortunately, you will probably need to play without that trait long-term. I know that’s not ideal at all, but it’s nearly impossible for me to patch Siralim 1 at this point so I won’t be able to fix the problem with an update.

I removed one or two creatures at a time from party until I tested them all; same result crash on engage.

A thing that struck me is that the Health numbers barely fit anymore, there are currently sometimes 10 digits to monsters health (up to x2 since it also shows current Health) at the level of dungeons I visit. It looks like 11 digit health numbers wouldn’t fit in the creature menu unless something changes at 11 digits (like showing 10KM instead of 10000000000). Maybe that could affect it?

Anyway, after refusing to give up my 222+ hour save file that easily I tried some other things; changing from Ultra Turbo Mode to one of the other Speeds at least temporarily have fixed the issue. I changed back to Ultra Turbo Mode and it still seems to be working.
Will update if anything changes.

That could definitely be the problem. Siralim 1 has a specific issue where numbers can’t go beyond about 2.1 billion, and if they do, that can cause all kinds of issues. Still, that would be 11 digits and you said enemies are still only at 10 digits, so you should be a very long way off from that happening.