Stronghold Card [Suggestion]

Suggested change for Stronghold Card:
Your creatures with Taunt now Provoke at the start of combat.

Reasoning: Tanks become less useful when they go last. As a player climbs higher and higher, battles get determined quicker - sometimes during the first round. Since tanks only Provoke (usually), this would help alleviate some of the uselessness of tanking creatures.

That card would make Mouth of Hell useless though.

He doesn’t have Taunt unless you stick it on him.

Sorry, I thought it said all Doom Fortresses instead of Taunt.

I did in chat, but SugarGlider mentioned Taunt, which makes more sense than Doom Fortresses.
I focused on Stronghold as my tank, but several other people used different creatures as tanks. This is more universal so it can apply to any creature you deign a “tank”.

Only issue i see is the abuse combined with on provoke stuff.

Like cerberus hellguard, add starts with taunt on his artifact and suddenly your creature is casting a spell when combat starts. There are other abilities that trigger on provoke as well that could be abused that way, including the fortress buffs etc.

[quote=“random_rolle, post:6, topic:2046”]Only issue i see is the abuse combined with on provoke stuff.

Like cerberus hellguard, add starts with taunt on his artifact and suddenly your creature is casting a spell when combat starts. There are other abilities that trigger on provoke as well that could be abused that way, including the fortress buffs etc.[/quote]

Totally agree, very easy to abuse.
If u wanna real tank - use interceptors like cows, no matter how slow this cow is, it’s intercept all attacks.

While I do think Taunt needs a buff to have some degree of effect before you get your turn, tying it to a card just sounds frustrating. Considering that there’s such a small chance to get a specific card, it would suck to have your creatures feel useless if you don’t have a card. Also, auto-provoke effects already don’t trigger on-provoke effects, so I don’t think this would have abuse potential.

They actually do; While I was using Stronghold, I used the trait to gain def/speed.
On it’s turn, it would Provoke to have my team gain a round of def/speed, then when it’s turn was done, it would auto-Provoke and gain another. It was a cheap way to gain 63% defense to my team whilst still using a tank.

The reason I had to drop Stronghold and this strategy was that the entire creature becomes useless if it doesn’t act first (and thus Provoke to tank hits). Even if the creature dies, at least it serves a purpose by redirecting attacks. If a tank can’t do that, it can’t function as a tank.

One way that I have used Stronghold effectively is to have a very fast creature on the team with a haste gem. That creature users Haste to pull Stronghold to the top of the action queue, and thus I get an early provoke even if the Stronghold is slow.

That’s the only way I’ve found to utilize it. Which is sad, because now you’re eating two creature’s turns to essentially do one job.