Those Merchandising Dwarves

Any chance of diversifying their options a bit? Perhaps lose all your granite (or another resource) against getting a nether egg, or something of equal value? I’ve never found the dwarves’ offers very tempting, and wonder if they couldn’t have higher stakes items occasionally that mean at least some of us don’t simply pass them by.

They’re on my list of things to be revamped entirely. The game(s) will be more interactive and there will be better rewards based on how much you actually bet. I personally don’t bother to gamble either, so you’re definitely not alone in that regard. :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, can you think of any quick games that you like to play that involve gambling in some way? I’m tossing around the idea of having two different games to play: one is played by the dwarves in the castle and is completely luck-based since you can play it over and over again. I’m thinking about some kind of slot machine game for that. And the game that you play in the dungeons could be a little more skill-based since you can only play it once before they disappear, so I was thinking about a variation of blackjack.

[quote author=Zack link=topic=233.msg575#msg575 date=1406044161]
Out of curiosity, can you think of any quick games that you like to play that involve gambling in some way? I’m tossing around the idea of having two different games to play: one is played by the dwarves in the castle and is completely luck-based since you can play it over and over again. I’m thinking about some kind of slot machine game for that. And the game that you play in the dungeons could be a little more skill-based since you can only play it once before they disappear, so I was thinking about a variation of blackjack. [/quote]

A few that I’ve enjoyed:

Might & Magic VII and VIII included a fun card game called Arcomage that revolved around building points to create a tower while removing points to destroy your opponent’s. There was far more to it, but it was well done, with good AI. Mind, you couldn’t really lose. If you lost the game, you got to try it again, immediately. The only challenge was to your sanity, if you ended up losing too often in a row. :smiley:

Then there’s Telepath RPG. It featured a card game like a very reduced Magic: The Gathering, called Psy Duel, with attacks, defenses, and summons: also fun, and challenging. Here, if you lost, you lost the amount you bet. And some opponents actually charged you a fee just for the joy of playing them (returnable if you won).

As for standalone computerized gambling games, my wife enjoys slots, and Governor of Poker II. I prefer Poker Night 2, because of the strong character development. Card City Nights is wonderfully weird: a self-referential city world with humans, and sentient stone bricks and turnips, it features a clever, difficult scaled-down M:TG-like game with sarcastic and surrealistic cards and quotes. If you lose a hand, you just have to play again.

And of course, there’s M:TG 2015, itself.

Blackjack is a favorite of my wife’s, and I’d enjoy it, too, as long as those dwarves don’t cheat. :wink: But if you can add images to the cards of some of Siralim’s creatures, I think we’d both prefer that. I realize you don’t want to make the games too complex to take away from anything else, but customization is another story.