When you have all of the transmutation upgrades, the system seems to work as:
– Transmutating 5 or 6 of the same Rare material will probably get you a random Legendary.
– Transmutating 2 of the same Legendary will probably get you 3 random Legendaries.
– If you don’t have 5 of any Rares, transmuting 2 of the same Rare will probably get you 3 random Rares.
So, you can make a profit whenever you have 2 of the same legendary, and the more legendaries you have, the more likely you’ll have 2 of the same…Eventually you can get quite an engine going.
It only took a few hours of collecting crystal and brimstone to get about half of the legendary crafting materials in the game. At this point, all I need to do to get another legendary crafting material is look through the list for something I already have 2 of and spend 2000 brimstone and crystal. I think I’m averaging a legendary crafting material every 2 random encounters or so.
I’d probably recommend doing some of:
- adjust payouts so that the player is losing materials on average, or only gaining them very slowly. (since it costs brimstone and crystal, it’s okay for there to be a slight average gain, but it shouldn’t be 2k crystal + brimstone turns 2 materials into 2.75 or whatever the average is now.)
- increase the number of rares it takes to make a legendary, and make it less certain.
- transmuting a legendary requires a short-to-medium length ritual, and produces exactly one random legendary, and you can only do one such transmutation at once.