Which mage do you guys play?

I started with sorcerer, and I found that they were not very useful for me. Building a spellcaster requires a lot of setup and you almost have to max the perks for real benefit, since none of it affects your monsters.

I used robes to try out chaos mage and that was a little more useful in general situations, and the pandamonium coin x3 power thing is nice (got 3 gem levels at once!)

Life mage and death mage both seem cool but their perks had anti-synergy with my team. I’m curious how effective the death mage pill thing is, since I’ve only found one total.

Druid looks really appealing for the “always go first”, dodge chance etc, speed builds. Xp for monsters in stable might be fun in a ‘gotta catch em all’ situation!

What do you guys use?

I believe most people use life Mage as they like the holy defiance trait. I personally use a death mage and a nature Mage. I don’t use all of my abilities as a death mage, but plague bearer, Unholy Consumption, and black mirror are fantastic. The others don’t fit with my play style.

Death mage is the most fun to me. You fizzle enemy spells, find pills, and inflict disease and infection debuffs on your enemies.

I hear that Zack is revamping spells soon… maybe Sorcerer will feel different. How would you guys like to see spells change? Should more spells allow the creature to keep their turn? Does spell power seem kinda underpowered to you? What would make you want to use spells as something other than a desperation move?

I agree, death mage is most fun.

As far as spells go… one’s that don’t consume your turn are nice and all, except that when the first turn off an enemy creature consists of five spells and then an attack, it gets kinda ridiculous. I’m not really sure how is like to see spells change otherwise, because I don’t use them aside from a couple for specific occasions to make minor manipulations on the battlefield.

I think I might go for a more spelloriented team if there were more ways the abilites of your monsters could impact your spells.

Some quick examles:

1: This monster gains a buff when you cast a spell according to what class of spell you use.

2: Casting a spell using the turn of this creature makes that spell work as if it had 200% more spellpower.

3: This creature heals all your creatures for X% of your spellpower whenever you cast a spell.

4: This creature deals X% of “insert stat” to all the creatures you hit with a spell.

5: This creature applies X debuff to two random targets whenever you cast a spell.

6: Casting a spell using this creatures turn makes you not loose a charge.

Edit:
I play as what I started with, a life mage, but im liking the nature skills more lately, so might switch when I get more points to spend ^^

There actually are creatures that have some of these abilities. Although, some that you mentioned that aren’t there would be great.

I don’t think spell based builds are bad, they just require a lot of setup and access to resources we don’t get till late game. You need specific monsters available, lots of spells, enough royalty points to ensure you can cast consistently etc. There are ways to setup nearly infinite spellcasting and I think that’s probably strong, I just wasn’t able to pull it together in the first couple days of play.

I’m not sure about spell power, but Shellbust is bugged I think. It drops defense WAY more than it indicates and does massive damage.

[quote=“Respwner, post:5, topic:737”]I think I might go for a more spelloriented team if there were more ways the abilites of your monsters could impact your spells.

Some quick examles:

1: This monster gains a buff when you cast a spell according to what class of spell you use.

2: Casting a spell using the turn of this creature makes that spell work as if it had 200% more spellpower.

3: This creature heals all your creatures for X% of your spellpower whenever you cast a spell.

4: This creature deals X% of “insert stat” to all the creatures you hit with a spell.

5: This creature applies X debuff to two random targets whenever you cast a spell.

6: Casting a spell using this creatures turn makes you not loose a charge.

Edit:
I play as what I started with, a life mage, but im liking the nature skills more lately, so might switch when I get more points to spend ^^[/quote]

1. Zealot Occultist (gains 3% Defense for each Mana Point you spend)

2. Witch Doctor Shaman (+50% more MP cost, +50% more damage)

3. Nada

4. Pyromancer Djinn (deals 10% damage to all enemies when you cast a damaging spell)

5. Sunclaw Gargoyle (deals 20% damage to creature targeted with a spell on its turn)

6. Disciple Occultist (75% chance to not use a charge of a spell cast on its turn)

My only problem with spellcasting builds is Nightmare Mummy, who spanks spellcasting builds every single time you fight him. It’s okay to have creature counters, but not mage counters.

Lol, guess I must have thought about those mostly bacause I had already seen them I guess, and didnt remember them among all the other creatures whos abilities I was more interested in at the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Disciple Occultist is the most important for a mage build imo.

Indeed it is. I have a very hard time seeing a Spell Power focused build work without 2-3 of those babies running around. Just because they keep you from running out of all your good spells like Mass Invisibility, [Insert AoE] and Requim.

As for me. I don’t play as no stinkin’ “Mage”. I’m a Wizard and I’m well proud of it. Sure, my class perks aren’t worth a damn until well into the late-game and none of them synergize with my current setup of Raven Acolyte/Frostfire Efreet/Nightwing Gargoyle/Siren Coercer, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important is wearing a blue eskimo outfit, starting with a Golem who’s been banked since forever and fighting the good fight.

The good fight against the oppressive forces that would otherwise prevent me from getting a pointy hat with a matching starry cloak and a long, luxurious beard! Down with the olligarchy, long live the wizardiocracy!

I have a dream and I will not faulter!