Wiki proposal

Earlier this year, @DuckTapeAl and I were looking into establishing a wiki for Siralim 3 and Siralim Ultimate. We were told that Thylacine would be hosting their own wiki, so we just decided to wait until we got more information. Now that SU is in alpha and some data spreadsheets have been crowdsourced, it seems like an appropriate time to bring the wiki question back up.

I wrote a script to automatically extract data (creatures, traits, breeding, materials, cards, lore, sprites) from the game files, and I was hoping to use this script to populate the wiki (and potentially a Discord bot). With Thylacine hosting the wiki, I would need special permissions to write a wiki bot that would perform this automatic population. Additionally, if SU uses the new YYC compiler, there is currently no way to decompile the game to obtain the files for my script to parse.

I’m offering my work on parsing Siralim’s data and my experience working with wiki bots to Thylacine. I’d really like to help establish a reliable info source for the community, and my automatic data collection can obviate the tedious manual work of copying and pasting countless lines of text. I would really like to come to some sort of agreement whereby I can help Thylacine with their new wiki, whether that means access to the database files, handing off my script to whoever is working on the wiki internally, working with a representative, or whatever else Thylacine decides is appropriate.

In case it’s not clear, this is purely a volunteer effort. Thanks for your consideration.

2 Likes

Thank you for the offer! This would be a huge help.

Honestly, I haven’t had much time to think about how the wiki should be handled. And, unfortunately, I’m probably not going to get a chance to even look into it until some time during Early Access. At that point though, I’d be glad to reconnect and see if you’re still interested in contributing.

Congratulations on the Early Access launch! I’m loving the game so far. Now seems like a good time to check in and see if anything’s changed with regard to the wiki. If the spreadsheets and Discord bot are manually updated, I can automate those as well. My offer still stands!

Thanks for getting back in touch! I’ve found myself quite a lot busier than I expected to be with the launch and all the Kickstarter stuff, so honestly, there’s probably not going to be much time for me to create and manage a wiki for the game any time soon. If you would like to start one, that would be great!

Am I really seeing this thread within the hour of developments? lol I was just in search for a wiki, so that’s fun to see these!

Did you manage to datamine the same info from Siralim Ultimate?
I’m not familiar with how the data is saved Siralim 3, but from your code it seems like everything is in a json, however I couldn’t find anything similar in SU

For Siralim 3, I decompiled the data.win file to obtain the GML database files. However, Siralim Ultimate can’t be decompiled due to the new YYC compiler. My script needs access to the database files, so these are the solutions I’ve thought of:

1. Zack sends me the database files whenever there’s a new version. This includes DatabaseCreature.gml, DatabasePassives.gml, etc. (whichever files Zack would be okay with sending me to populate the wiki/bot with).
  2. Someone with access to the database files runs my script(s) to populate the wiki/bot whenever there’s a new version.

I’m open to any other possibilities as well. I would also like to automatically update the Discord bot if it’s not already automated. I don’t know how GMA has it set up; if it is manually updated then I can help make that easier.

P.S. to establish some credibility so you have some confidence in my ability to do this, here’s a similar project for a different game (Project: Gorgon).